Laptop Question XPS 9350 Zipper Sound Playing VST's Intermittent/Random

Michael Fogarty

oops - almost a double post - was on 3 different devices typing at different times and desktop didn't show my latest post.

So gents, I did lots of upgrades. The lastest version (1909) I think it is, is sitting at 20% for some reason but the chipset/usb/graphics, thundrbolt, etc. all installed as far as I can see. Will give it a test run Friday with the wi fi off and use a usb mouse instead of bluetooth and see how she rolls. I very much appreciate all your time in getting this set up, especially since my time zone is a bit wacky (Tokyo). Best to you all.
Michael

Edited by Michael Fogarty
double post

On 11/13/2019 at 12:47 AM, Robert Bone said:

For the chipset and other drivers, you can usually go directly to the motherboard's manufacturer's web site, go to the support page, and they often have a mechanism to auto-detect your system info and provide a list of current driver versions.

I would suggest you look through the motherboard user manual for more info on updating drivers - or look for that info on their support pages for that model motherboard, 

Bob Bone

Not for laptops. They often use customized drivers, so you should always get them from the OEM that built the machine (i.e. Dell). You're often stuck with older drivers on laptops. That is one of the negatives of this form factor.

And never install reference Intel drivers on a laptop... Ever.

This is bad advice. Do not follow. 

10 hours ago, Some Guy said:

Not for laptops. They often use customized drivers, so you should always get them from the OEM that built the machine (i.e. Dell). You're often stuck with older drivers on laptops. That is one of the negatives of this form factor.

And never install reference Intel drivers on a laptop... Ever.

This is bad advice. Do not follow. 

yes, I knew that. Went to Dell and did all possible downloads.

SoneGuy-Michael : I'm sure Bob knows where to support a laptop or desktop..It is just the way he put it...ive done the same thing ..doing so much support ! NOW

Michael what the status ? and wile your doing things :goto PowerManagement  set everything always on

goto: Device Manager USB  change the power settings ..always on

22 minutes ago, StarTekh said:

SoneGuy-Michael : I'm sure Bob knows where to support a laptop or desktop..It is just the way he put it...ive done the same thing ..doing so much support ! NOW

Michael what the status ? and wile your doing things :goto PowerManagement  set everything always on

goto: Device Manager USB  change the power settings ..always on

you know guys, I know the basics. That’s why this sound was driving me crazy. I do have the power always on. Dell told one guy when I was looking for answers when my mobo blew that  maybe he burned it out by leaving it always on. What do you think of that? I would leave my laptop on just like I did my desktop and perhaps he’s right. Its a big engine in a tight container and maybe it didn’t like it.

Anyway, I’m all up to date with even the 1909 update but have yet to put it through the paces. As mentioned before this isn’t my DAW. Its running great and has been for years. Its for using Omnisphere, NI, Ravenscroft live. So I’ll get around to it tomorrow and let you know how it rolls.

Thanks everyone.