Veterans Day

bayoubill

On 11/11/2019 at 12:01 PM, bjornpdx said:

US Army here.  '68-'71  Spent a couple years maintaining radar site on remote hilltop in Germany. Managed to avoid Vietnam.

Army here. Germany '71-72. Tactical intel, 7th Army. Seven Steps To Hell. Wore that fatigue jacket for a LONG time.

Had deployment orders to Pakistan. Nixon was sending us into the Pakistan/India war. Indian launched a major offensive 48 hours before we were shipping. War over. Bangladesh created from East Pakistan. Only the (still) disputed territory in the north.

No deployment into that front line. I'm still among the living.

I have the greatest respect for those who sacrificed everything...and for their families, as well.

And for those who sacrificed a lot...our service-connected disabled vets.

And for those now serving in a dangerous world.

If any of you know of a vet having trouble with the VA and getting recognition/compensation for a service-connected issue, ask them to contact the DAV (Disabled American Veterans). Look for a National Service Officer close to you. They helped me when the VA screwed me over. I'm a life member.

Other than that lousy incident, I've had very good luck with the VA (except Hines VA Medical Center in the Chicago area and Hayden VA in Phoenix; avoid both).

Sorry for the length, but one other thing...

For those on Medicare, with this being the annual election period...

The agent at USAA turned me on to the Humana Honor PPO. It's designed for vets who get their primary healthcare and prescription drugs through the VA. $0 monthly (they just get your Part B premium taken from your Social Security check). Includes dental, periodontal and vision. Reasonable deductibles. Will save me about $2500/yr over Medicare/Medigap.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming...