Question on Replicating Classic Marshall Track

SonicExplorer

Hi,

I was trying to EQ match a specific 80's production guitar track (Marshall style) and the resulting EQ image reflects something must have been added post channel strip when the original track was recorded.  The resulting EQ pattern has sharp spikes at expanding intervals such as 1.5K, 3K and 6K, with some similar cut patterns as well.  Anybody have any idea what plugin might replicate this behavior that I could apply to the signal before the EQ match to get a closer end result?   Not sure what was used originally....maybe some kind of exciter/expander, tube compressor or other dynamic outboard gear.   Anyone have recommendations of plug-ins, or techniques, that might produce the kind of EQ wave pattern I'm seeing.....???

Thanks,

Sonic

80s guitars were some of the most over the top processed tracks ever!!

I can't tell you how many guitarists I have witnessed, including myself, who have slaved for years chasing the ultimate tone on their rigs only to have the producer and engineer mangle that tone to fit in the final mix!!!

All amps are curious creatures. They only do what they were built to do. I don't know of any guitarist that has not relied upon some studio trickery to get what the song calls for.

That being said, I would try a different mic or mic placement. Maybe two mics. A dynamic with a condensor. There is a tremendous difference in what speakers are in the cab. Was the amp modded in any way? Any engineer will tell you start at the source to get the best sound possible. Beyond that, it will be up to some masterful eq.

And don't forget that refrigerator size FX rack packed with every toy known to man! As well as the 10 foot long floorboard to control the rack!!!😁😁😁

At any rate, I wish you luck chasing that ever evasive perfect tone!! Now, go write a song!!!!🤘🤘🤘🤘🤘

• Like 1