wub

John K

Hi Guys,

Out of the trenches after a miserable win 10 update to four computers. Current mid November update for the 1903 version.

One computer had the magnifier turned on, and couldn't access anything beneath it with the mouse after it eventually restarted.

Laptop had the keyboard toasted, unfortunately not an isolated problem.  Finally found a website with options for the meltdown, though an idiotic suggestion that if your keyboard doesn't respond, type in such and such into the search field. About as bad as my internet provider who says that if your internet is down, go to this site and start troubleshooting.

Finally got the problems fixed and don't know whether it is moral to raise the middle finger to Microsoft, but things were working as fine as could be expected before the "upgrade"

Point of all this crap is that win 10 makes it very difficult to stop the automatic updates. You can of course go in and delay updates. There are more obscure command line options to stop the intrusion. Can dig into the services menu to stop the invasion (hopefully) but found the updates magically turned on again if you take this route.

Most of you probably already know about this. Not preaching to the choir, so this for those that may not be aware and could benefit...

Excellent freeware update manager, as in turn the damn thing off until I want it on again and can choose. Program is WUB.  Executable file is a simple toggle, off and on that completely blocks automatic updates and intrusion when you least need it or have no idea what will be left after watching the hourglass spin for an hour or more.

https://www.sordum.org/9470/windows-update-blocker-v1-5/

Good program that should be in the toolbox.

John

• Like 1

15 hours ago, John K said:

Finally found a website with options for the meltdown, though an idiotic suggestion that if your keyboard doesn't respond, type in such and such into the search field.

Reminds me of the old messages that used to say something like Keyboard error! Press F1 to continue

15 hours ago, John K said:

Point of all this crap is that win 10 makes it very difficult to stop the automatic updates. You can of course go in and delay updates. There are more obscure command line options to stop the intrusion. Can dig into the services menu to stop the invasion (hopefully) but found the updates magically turned on again if you take this route.

Don't know if this is what you already mean by delaying updates but with 1903 you can pause updates for up to 35 days in the advanced options for updates.

Thank you Leadfoot. Appreciate that.

Antler, yes was meaning the delay options that started with 1903. For space outs like me, I let the days go by and forget. Like downloading a 30 day trial of something and not getting back to it until it has expired. The advantage of WUB beyond one knob simplicity is that the updates are put on hold indefinitely until you decide to go through them and install what is safe.