Barnes and Noble . . .

PhonoBrainer

Look, I don't really care about this either, but . . .

Dropped Sound on Sound

Dropped Future Music

Dropped Computer Music

Dropped Music Tech

And near as I can tell, they've dropped Guitar Player, Keyboard, Electronic Musician, Recording, Modern Drummer . 

. basically every magazine to do with music.

Gone is my go-to time filler when making trips into the big city.

It's all my fault. I used to buy most of those titles on a regular basis. Then they closed the nearest Barnes & Noble, making it less convenient. Couldn't be bothered to drive the extra distance. I accept culpability for my part in the demise of music magazines. 

OTOH, maybe it's your fault. You said it was a "time-filler'. Does that mean you were one of those people who read the mags but didn't buy them? Left the racks in disarray? Mixed up the drum mags with the keyboard mags? Or worse, stuffed the music production mags behind Cream and Rolling Stone? 

• Haha 4

It's gong the way of Blockbuster since most things are digital.   As for books hard covers still sell.

I'm glad magazines are digital.   I use to get FM, CM, Guitar One, and Guitar World shipped.  Those disks and magazines took up a lot of space.   I still have my Guitar One magazines.

The music magazines that I used to advertise my Band-in-a-Box aftermarket products in have all gone either belly-up or digital. And it's not just music mags, plenty of others are gone or gone digital as well.

I miss the print media a bit, and enjoy others in digital format for the multi-media aspects.

Notes

14 hours ago, bitflipper said:

It's all my fault. I used to buy most of those titles on a regular basis. Then they closed the nearest Barnes & Noble, making it less convenient. Couldn't be bothered to drive the extra distance. I accept culpability for my part in the demise of music magazines. 

OTOH, maybe it's your fault. You said it was a "time-filler'. Does that mean you were one of those people who read the mags but didn't buy them? Left the racks in disarray? Mixed up the drum mags with the keyboard mags? Or worse, stuffed the music production mags behind Cream and Rolling Stone? 

My lawyers have advised me not to answer these accusations, but if I am subpoenaed, I just might show up.

The reality is, I was usually the dumb one who would buy one or two each trip, and then pour over each one ad nauseum for the ensuing month. I did my part.

Dozens of "free" DVD's packed with demos and shareware available upon request.

My question still is, did they seriously disappear all at once? Hmm.

We have somebody in our midst who could shed light on this, particularly why they all went away at once (industry consolidation would be my prime suspect), and that someone would be Craig Anderton. However, he doesn't waste his time down here in the CH and probably won't see this thread. I think I'll extend an invitation via PM.

I have to admit I did stop some music magazines several years ago as they decided to go with a really small print and I couldn't read it. There choice to save money with less pages because of small print. My choice to say no thank you.  I wrote to them and the response was we have the magazine on-line for iPad etc....  :(

I quit advertising in the music magazines years ago. When I started in the 1980s there was a lively, multi-page classified ad section. By the time I quit running ads, it had shrunk to a half page, and most of them display ads.

I also used to enjoy the articles more. It seems like more and more the articles have become advertisements in disguise.

And it's not just music magazines, computer magazines and newspapers are doing the same thing. I suspect all but mass-market pop culture magazines like the ones in the grocery store checkout counters are going digital.

I guess the demand for print media is down. It's costly to print paper and the postage isn't cheap either. It's much thriftier to use the Internet.

It's just the way it is now.

32 minutes ago, Notes_Norton said:

It seems like more and more the articles have become advertisements in disguise.

I feel the same about most internet "reviews". 

I don't really find reading articles on a screen very enjoyable anyway, but I also object to paying mag prices for what is mostly adverts anyway, so I haven't bought any for years now.

• Like 1

On 11/9/2019 at 8:41 AM, emeraldsoul said:

Look, I don't really care about this either, but . . .

Dropped Sound on Sound

Dropped Future Music

Dropped Computer Music

Dropped Music Tech

And near as I can tell, they've dropped Guitar Player, Keyboard, Electronic Musician, Recording, Modern Drummer . 

. basically every magazine to do with music.

Gone is my go-to time filler when making trips into the big city.

B&N has already practically gone bankrupt (not sure if literally, but they had to close a TON of stores and shut down some areas of their business).

They can't afford to carry magazines that don't sell.  It's hard to sell paper, when anyone can buy a Kindle HD for dirt cheap and get the magazine issues they want from Newsstand (or one of the cheap iPads).

This is affecting all areas of print media.  Newspapers felt it first 😉

Why would anyone buy a paper mazazine when they can get an eMagazine that doesn't get ruined, tear, drenched or lost on their electronic device for practically the same price, and without the physical travel required to do so?

It's not possible to compete with that...

1 hour ago, paulo said:

I feel the same about most internet "reviews". 

I don't really find reading articles on a screen very enjoyable anyway, but I also object to paying mag prices for what is mostly adverts anyway, so I haven't bought any for years now.

eReaders like Kindle and Nook have Magazine modes that make reading magazine articles like reading a website.  It's actually pretty intuitive, and more ergonomic than squinting at the text in a physical magazine while trying to ignore the ads plastered across practically every page.

36 minutes ago, Wibbles said:

I much prefer physical copies of books and magazines.

For a start it's much easier to take them into the loo than sit there balancing my laptop on my knees. And they don't need batteries.

Also if push comes to shove digital devices are not particularly flexible or absorbent.

I was in Barnes & Noble about a week ago because I needed a certain physical book (i.e., not a digital copy).  They looked it up on the computer and said "Here it is!"  To which I said, "Great, just send me in the right direction and I'll find it."  Their response: "Oh, we don't actually carry it, but we can order it for you!"

Arrgh-facepalm%20cat.jpg

I did, however, get the chance to pull off a fun line.  While I was talking to the guy looking up the book, someone asked where the Self-Help area was.  My reply: "Doesn't that defeat the purpose?"  The inquirer just stood there confused wondering why the employee was laughing...  *Sigh...*

• Haha 1