Feature Request: Native Instruments NKS Support Please

JonnyS

I've come accross a fair few people who are saying that CbB doesn't have official integration with Native Instruments, so lets get the process rolling and underway! Studio One Users got their way recently with an update, so why can't we? Lets do it! 

"Yo, I'll tell you what I want, what I really, really want
So tell me what you want, what you really, really want
I'll tell you what I want, what I really, really want
So tell me what you want, what you really, really want
I wanna, (ha) I wanna, (ha) I wanna, (ha) I wanna, (ha)
I wanna NKS SUPPORT please.... zigazig ah!

Edited by JonnyS
Added Feature Request to title
  • Like 6
  • Great Idea 5

Totally agree with you. CbB is a great DAW and the lack of NKS support is ridiculous.  The lack of integration is frustrating at best and to be honest it has stopped me buying more of their stuff. It would be great to access the various parameters from the controls on my keyboard. I can use my mouse on any software so why bother paying out for NKS gear when half of the features aren't accessible via the controller keyboard due to NKS lack of integration in CbB. I was just about to buy Komplete 12, but have decided against and am now looking at alternative instruments to add to my setup.  NKS seem to need constant nagging before they even begin to take any notice of their customers and don't seem to care too much that it is putting people off buying their products. Fingers crossed for a resolution.

Edited by Andrew Webb
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

Well said Andrew! Of course there is the other scenario where NKS users or potential users will be looking at other DAW's which offer this integration (I know that I am, myself) . I think it is in CbB's interest to offer this integration in order to GROW THEIR CUSTOMER BASE. I think this would be an extremely positive move for CbB 

Edited by JonnyS
  • Like 3

After using Sonar since X1 through to the Cakewalk version I have halfheartedly moved to Studio One for composing for the sake of full integration with NI products, as I've invested heavily in both their hardware and software. It's not ideal as I prefer Cakewalks workflow and still use it for work that S1 is less good at.  I think Presonus were loath to include NKS support as they have their own hardware to sell. Their site had an incredible amount of requests for it going back years and NI had done their share of the work. Full integration with CbB would be a dream come true, even if I had to pay for it as an extra.

Edited by Tin Ear
  • Great Idea 1

21 hours ago, CosmicDolphin said:

What does the DAW NKS integration do ? I use Kontakt but I have my own controller keyboard

NKS is a protocol which Native Instruments use to allow their software and hardware to communicate with each other. This allows  for the ability to search libraries, audition sounds, start, stop and record all from the hardware rather than mess around with a mouse in the software and DAW. So much easier to use.

• Like 2

@Tin Ear You nailed the description of what NKS compatability offers.  However, one nitpick.  The "S" in "NKS" stands for standard not protocol.  Below is a link to a MIDI.ORG article with a description of NKS, video links and a link to the Native Instruments developer portal.

https://www.midi.org/articles-old/native-instruments-native-control-standard-nks

@JonnyS  Wonderful suggestion!

Edited by Jim Fogle
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Tin Ear said:

NKS is a protocol which Native Instruments use to allow their software and hardware to communicate with each other. This allows  for the ability to search libraries, audition sounds, start, stop and record all from the hardware rather than mess around with a mouse in the software and DAW. So much easier to use.

Yes I know that but how does that affect the DAW if you can do it from the hardware  ?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

With the DAW pulling the load of supporting NKS then you would not be restricted to using only hardware with NKS support built-in to obtain use of the features NKS offers.  Per the link I provided above,

(NKS) gives you streamlined browsing, consistent tagging, instant sound previews, pre-mapped parameters, Smart Play features, and more. ...  So If you see the NKS logo, you know what to expect: An intuitive and comfortable workflow that makes it easy to bring your sound to life.

One example is plug-ins that follow the NKS standard will automatically map their controls in a consistent manner no matter what hardware controller you use.

Edited by Jim Fogle
  • Great Idea 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...