Spitfire Audio LABS - OPIA now available

synkrotron

Hi Peeps,

The latest Spitfire Audio LABS library is now available.

From the LABS page:-

In the spirit of creative collaboration, we give you a collection of unique sonic textures made out of audio samples from Ólafur Arnalds and the artists performing at his London festival, Opia: Kiasmos, VAAL, Rhye, Poppy Ackroyd, Högni & Ensemble, Grandbrothers, Hania Rani & Josin. Each artist has submitted a sample that means something to them — from the sounds of ice skating to pianos — mangled and warped by our expert team to create entirely new and unconventional sounds.

https://www.spitfireaudio.com/labs/

I've not had a play yet but I've heard some of the examples and this is another one right up my street.

Not much use for you rock'n'rollers :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I'm holding on tight. OPIA sounds pretty good, but they are tempting me with the OPW Toolkit ($29; wonder where they got that price). The demos sound pretty good. The main patch (Oliver's Piano) has only 4 layers with 2 round robins, but sounds (and seems to play in the video) pretty darn good.

https://www.spitfireaudio.com/shop/a-z/oliver-patrice-weder-opw/

Here's one of his songs that use sounds he included in the toolkit.

Edited by John Maar

They are free and do not take up a lot of space. The disadvantage is that some have FX baked into them (either negating raw samples from being used or requiring a bit more post-processing to manipulate them), but "as is" most are creatively designed to give them a unique flavor unto themselves.

36 minutes ago, John Maar said:

I'm holding on tight. OPIA sounds pretty good, but they are tempting me with the OPW Toolkit ($29; wonder where they got that price). The demos sound pretty good. The main patch (Oliver's Piano) has only 4 layers with 2 round robins, but sounds (and seems to play in the video) pretty darn good.

https://www.spitfireaudio.com/shop/a-z/oliver-patrice-weder-opw/H

ere's one of his songs that use sounds he included in the toolkit.

Fantastic track!

4 hours ago, cclarry said:

All of these are well worth the time to get them...

To be honest, most of the other libraries are of zero interest to me. 

I'm trying to be good and only install stuff that I'm likely to use (probably a futile endeavour). Even though I barely spend any money on plug-ins, I still have a hard drive littered with freebies and mega-cheap deals* that no matter how good or bad they are, I'm never going to use.  

*     For which this place is, in no small part, responsible. As well as those newsletters that keep arriving in my inbox.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Wibbles said:

I'm trying to be good and only install stuff that I'm likely to use (probably a futile endeavour). Even though I barely spend any money on plug-ins, I still have a hard drive littered with freebies and mega-cheap deals* that no matter how good or bad they are, I'm never going to use.  

*     For which this place is, in no small part, responsible. As well as those newsletters that keep arriving in my inbox.

So the random noise library is what sticks out that you would actually use?  

I've tried and used pretty much all the others.  I'm sure I'll use that one at some point as well.  

5 hours ago, Wibbles said:

You should also get Komplete Ultimate and have a bunch of stuff you never use as well.

I know what you are saying. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Fleer said:

Did I miss a LABS launch in October? September had Moon Guitar. 

They really need to revamp the Spitfire Audio App to drill into the LABS banks, since they are free and that is what deploys them. Having to log into their website and click on "Get" (with the SFA app closed... it fails if already open) is becoming a nuisance for me.

• Great Idea 1

8 minutes ago, mettelus said:

They really need to revamp the Spitfire Audio App to drill into the LABS banks, since they are free and that is what deploys them. Having to log into their website and click on "Get" (with the SFA app closed... it fails if already open) is becoming a nuisance for me.

The reason they do that is because they want you to visit the website.  The reason they are free it to get you to buy the other stuff.  Making you visit the websit is part of the process. Nothing wrong with that in my opinion. 

The spitfire website has my username/pass cached so it really only does take a few seconds to click - well worth the trade off (again just my opinion)

15 hours ago, Fleer said:

Did I miss a LABS launch in October? September had Moon Guitar. 

I don't think there was one Fleer.  I make it 19 LABS libraries in total and I just realised that I am missing Music Box so downloading that one now.

Loving those Synth Wave patches in Opia.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mettelus said:

It's turned me off to getting their non Kontakt libraries.