Can I split a V-Vocal Region?

Terry Kelley

Yeah, all region FX (Melodyne, V Vocal, drum Replacer) Need to be rendered before any kind of split actions can be done.

Region FX clip restrictions

The following editing functions are disabled for Region FX clips:

Clip automation.

Copy/paste for a time selection that contains a Region FX.

Split clip.

Slip-stretch clip when the Follow Host Tempo option is enabled.

Groove Clip looping.

AudioSnap

• Like 1

So for the two tracks, I rendered them which then allows me to split them (each in several places.) However, I can't select any section to delete or select a section to copy. Sometimes it will highlight a section but I can't really do anything to it. I've been reading the manual but I don't get what is happening.

Was I wrong to use V-Vocal before I copied and pasted sections? Is that not possible once you've used V-Vocal?

I am missing something here.

Edit: Ok, I notice the section will highlight AFTER I right click on it, but selecting delete doesn't delete it. The highlight goes away once I click Edit-Delete but it's still there.

Edit 2!: Cut does cut the section. Delete doesn't.

Final: I removed the regions themselves and I can edit them as I expect it to work. I'll redo any V-Vocals once I am happy with the editing.

Edited by Terry Kelley

Not sure of your question, but I normally have several clips on a track that I created either by recording or copy/paste. I would V-Vocal some or all of the clips as needed.

This the first time I’ve had one long clip that was V-Vocal’d so when I went to split it I was surprised I couldn’t. Ok, learned something new. I rendered it and started splitting. I deleted (after I determined I had to use Cut) some clips and started copy and pasting but that didn’t always work and I couldn’t nudge them using the pull down or nun keys. The clips wouldn’t always highlight to tell you which one was about to be affected until you right clicked. 

I removed the region from the long clip and everything is smooth. I will V-Vocal each clip after I am done editing. When I get a chance I’ll see what I was doing wrong, but it wasn’t obvious to me. While I could split a rendered clip, cut and paste was random. I also noticed the V-Vocal label would disappear on some tracks after rendering but not others even though I could split them. I was thinking I might have some hidden layers but couldn’t find them. 

I just need to remember to leave the magazine at Witt’s End. :)

Edited by Terry Kelley

First of all, I confused V Vocal with Vocal synch, so my apology's if there was any confusion on my comments.

I thought you were referring to Vocal synch. So those 2 are indeed different and possibly have different consequences when rendering.

I hate to offer the suggestion to try and use Melodyne as an alternative because I never like to tell someone to try another software, plug in to accomplish a task but Melodyne is a more powerful tool with greater strengths and more responsive than V vocal ever was.

It wouldn't surprise me however, if there were some unpredictable behaviors using V vocal in Cakewalk by Bandlab as V vocal is long in the tooth without updates to keep it user friendly in newer versions of Cakewalk and possibly Windows versions.

No worries. I truly appreciate the help (from everyone.)

V-Vocal actually does what I want and I like using it but I ran into this split issue and I was scared and confused.

I checked out Melodyne but for the cost I didn't see it as worth moving to ... yet.

Update: I need to read up on Automation. If I delete the volume automation, the V-vocal (after rendering) works like I expect - perfectly. That volume automation is what was making it all goofy. Deleted it and all is fine. I can re-automate after I edit.

Edited by Terry Kelley