Shout Out to All Long-Time Cakewalkers

razor7music

The old forum user brundlefly is the poster immediately above my first post in this thread. I agree, he is great. I owe any positive reputation I have on this forum to the posters that came before me including brundlefly. Most of my posts are echoes of the real masters of the software.

On 19 de enero de 2019 at 1:28 AM, Craig Anderton said:

Okay, but let's not get carried away. I've always said if people read manuals, I'd be out of a job :)

But you have written your share of manuals, too, haven't you? Have you decided that NOT writing manuals is better for the business? :D

Learning a DAW can be really overwhelming, even upon reading tfm can leave you with questions. CBL going free is going to attract a lot of anxious newcomers (I bet most of them will be willing to spend time while being respectfull, but some, not...) trying to do it all, and quick. I think that we have to be patient and remember that we've all been there once

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Logan_4600 said:

Learning a DAW can be really overwhelming, even upon reading tfm can leave you with questions. CBL going free is going to attract a lot of anxious newcomers (I bet most of them will be willing to spend time while being respectfull, but some, not...) trying to do it all, and quick. I think that we have to be patient and remember that we've all been there once

LOL I have been there more then once and with my older brain I tend to forget things.

• Haha 2

On 1/18/2019 at 3:56 PM, scook said:

Still believe in RTFM and will continue to provide links in replies. Saves on typing and hopefully provides a starting point for learning about CbB. Anxiously awaiting the addition of search for CbB documentation.

Yes but you usually include a link to the related section of TFM which provides a bootstrap to the questioner. 

Does Samplitude Pro X4 have Context Sensitive Help and ship with a PDF User Manual?  These things are, increasingly, worth paying for - to me.  I'll probably pay as much buying equivalently-good effects and instruments to make this usable, anyways...

Some SONAR Platinum users say they have these from the latest version of that "version," but they act like they're a pot of gold and won't make them available for others.

This software is full of marketing-speak, and without convenient, practically usable documentation it just isn't worth  it to me.  It feels like reading a foreign language book with Google Translate in another window.

Edited by SomeGuy

Gibson/Cakewalk produced a SONAR Reference Guide pdf around once a year and a chm file with every release of SONAR. Both of these files were reformatted snap shots of the web-based help.

The local help (chm file) option was removed from CbB preferences. BandLab continues to provide the web-based help with a much smaller staff.

When BandLab purchased Cakewalk IP from Gibson there was some discussion of producing a downloadable version of the web-based help. To date, this has not happened.

Bear in mind, there is a list of tasks for the current BandLab staff including a bunch of yet to be released plug-ins. Each of these plug-ins require documentation updates too.

• Thanks 2

I don't get on here as much as I used to.  Partly because I was in Cruise control and was at a comfortable level with everything I needed from Sonar, but also just got busy.  But this forum (previous version, and I hope the new version) is one of the reasons I give to people who are thinking about getting a DAW to go with Sonar, (CbB).

Carry on.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Logan_4600 said:

I feel your pain. My older brain's the reason I'm not even going past 8.5 hahaha

I'm still using SONAR Home Studio 6 on an XP machine, but I do have CbB on a W 10 computer and know eventually, I'll have to make the move to it.
But for what I do (recording myself, audio and MID, plus a little editing) it won't be a huge jump. It records just fine. 
All the extra geegaws it comes with will just be gravy. Mastering is beyond my ken. Well, beyond my ability to hear what I'm doing.

• Like 1