Shout Out to All Long-Time Cakewalkers

razor7music

Hello All!

I could have posted this to the FB group, but decided I like this format for this particular post.

I think a lot of us that have been avid CW/SPLAT users over the years have noticed a marked increase in people who are new to Cakewalk, even new to recording, asking basic (noob) questions to the group. I'm sure it has to do with the awesomeness of the CW product, but let's be real, I'm sure being free doesn't hurt! 

Instead of seeing the longtime experts throw up their hands and say, "Dang dude (or chick), read the flippin' manual!" I see thoughtful, and thorough responses--regardless of how many times we old-timers may have seen the same questions over and over.

I think over the years (and yes, they've been many) one of the most attractive parts of using CW is knowing the group of users behind it are always willing to help, knowledgeable about the product, and respectful (99% of the time :-/) and that helps me stick with it and not change DAWs.

A BIG shout out to all long-time CW users that take their own time to help me, and everyone else that needs it! Cheers!

Edited by razor7music
grammar
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

While I continue to be happy to answer any and all questions, including those that that have been answered many times before, I would encourage new users to Google keywords against site:forum.cakewalk.com to find archived discussions and answers. There's a lot to be learned there.  Add the user name of a frequent flyer like scook, anderton or (dare I suggest) brundlefly to get targeted answers.

Examples:

missing dropped skipped midi notes site:forum.cakewalk.com

metronome not working site:forum.cakewalk.com

pan panning problem scook site:forum.cakewalk.com

pops crackles distorted playback site:forum.cakewalk.com

• Like 2
  • Great Idea 2

I miss brundlefly. Learned a lot from his posts. I hope to learn more from the new improved model.

Still believe in RTFM and will continue to provide links in replies. Saves on typing and hopefully provides a starting point for learning about CbB. Anxiously awaiting the addition of search for CbB documentation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There is a link to the online help in the Cakewalk by BandLab menu at the top of the forum.

The PITA right now is search. The old website only searches the old Gibson/Cakewalk help pages. Often this is enough and can be refined to SONAR Platinum/Professional/Artist resulting in the most recent SONAR page. Substituting Cakewalk for SONAR in the url often gets the right CbB page. Between that and clicking the context help in the software, most pages are easy to find. Then there are the "new features" in SONAR. Those can take some time to find in the Cakewalk help.

• Like 1

Scook, I was just ribbing you a bit. I appreciate your time and I do agree about RTFM.
In my own defense though I couldn't for the life of me remember how to do something and I didn't know what to call it in Corel Draw. Someone like you guided  me in the right direction. It was a part of the program I very rarely use.  I always appreciate folks like yourself who take the time to help others. What I don't like is when folks get nasty on forums. You handle yourself IMO extremely well. Hope you stick around for a long time :)

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, scook said:

There is a link to the online help in the Cakewalk by BandLab menu at the top of the forum.

The PITA right now is search. The old website only searches the old Gibson/Cakewalk help pages. Often this is enough and can be refined to SONAR Platinum/Professional/Artist resulting in the most recent SONAR page. Substituting Cakewalk for SONAR in the url often gets the right CbB page. Between that and clicking the context help in the software, most pages are easy to find. Then there are the "new features" in SONAR. Those can take some time to find in the Cakewalk help.

Scook, I noticed you don't have a forum avatar selected yet. Allow me to make a suggestion:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1a-FsCJG-_N02sV2_mr4V_DSTZ7pJ4TQj/view?usp=sharing

jk - thanks for all the help over the years! You're one of the reasons I made this post.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, razor7music said:

Scook, I noticed you don't have a forum avatar selected yet. Allow me to make a suggestion:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1a-FsCJG-_N02sV2_mr4V_DSTZ7pJ4TQj/view?usp=sharing

jk - thanks for all the help over the years! You're one of the reasons I made this post.

LOL Don't do it because your next avatar will be the one banging his head against the computer monitor.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scook said:

I miss brundlefly. Learned a lot from his posts. I hope to learn more from the new improved model.

Still believe in RTFM and will continue to provide links in replies. Saves on typing and hopefully provides a starting point for learning about CbB. Anxiously awaiting the addition of search for CbB documentation.

Good news! Dave Baay, the poster above, was is brundlefly!

I will speak for the n00bz here and mention that while the online documentation is pretty good as documentation goes, there are some areas/pages that need work.

I'm especially thinking of this one. Just compare the descriptions of Comping mode and Overwrite mode and you'll see what I mean.

Choosing the wrong Recording Mode options can get you into trouble, especially if you choose Overwrite (aka The Mode That Must Not Be Named).

IMO, there should also be a more in-depth explanation of why the user should choose one mode over the other and what results they will get.

(BTW, if you all know of a Craig article or TOP post that explains the options better, please give me a link)

For sure the old site is a treasure chest of information about how to use Cakewalk, and I use it all the time, being Google-savvy.

I know there is a way that you can make a form with a site search, and such a thing would be a very handy thing to have stickied here. I'm sure you all know what I'm talking about and one or more know how to roll one up, where there's a search bar you put in your terms and everything? We could make one for TOP.

All it does is search with that syntax that David typed out, but instead of having to type it all out, you just put your search terms in the bar and hit Enter.

(TOP="The Old Place")

• Like 1

I will answer a question if I know the answer and no else has gotten to it first.  I like it when a poster has tried to find the answer but couldn't.  That is not essential  but it goes a long way in having a positive view of the poster. I also remember a few that admitted they didn't want to read the manual.

I do remember starting out and at that time there were no forums anywhere.  In those days I bought books and read them.  What I have observed through the years is people are eager to help when a new poster asks a question with a bit of humility. Its not a requirement but it helps. Questions asked require time for someone to answer and it helps a lot if a thank you is offered. 

One of the biggest advantages of a forum is if an answer is wrong it will be corrected quickly.  I like to think  we each have each others back and will come in to make sure no misinformation is left unchallenged. 

Even though I have a good knowledge of Sonar/Cakewalk I learn something nearly everyday.  I have learned to be a bit more diplomatic through the years. I'm still working on that.

The whole notion of people gathering in a place to have an interchange of ideas and answer questions and encourage others is fundamentally a wonderful idea. The fact that it is only as far away as ones computer screen is a huge advantage. 

It should be stated that this place is not a requirement. It has been provided by Bandlab to do all the above. We as members of this forum need to keep in mind this place is a gift freely given for our benefit. We need to keep it clean and unsullied. 

20 hours ago, scook said:

Where did he go he like yourself was great.