Resolution

RobertWS

Hi Robert.  Don't worry about your ego here.  Starting as a complete novice on this forum, I have learned a tremendous amount about songs, song structure, recording and particularly about using DAW's.  Without the help and advise received on this forum, I would have been stuck - and - it all of this learning was relatively painless.  Now about the song.  Actually, I liked it  and thought that it was quite good. It had a good interplay between the two leads and as Bjorn mentioned above the bass and drums fit in nicely.  As it is now, it has a relatively stripped down structure and sound.  I argued with myself (a bad trait of mine) about that.  I really like the sound as it is.  It allows one to concentrate on the song and instrumentation itself.  It is a very cheerful sounding piece and perhaps it shouldn't be complicated.  On the other hand, as suggested above, more structure (e.g., more instrumentation, fills, etc.) would add more depth.  However, that might not be where you were trying to take the song.  The argument with myself ended up pretty much a draw but slightly on the less complicated side.

Anyway, I am glad that you posted this song.  I enjoyed it!

The only way to "fix" a fragile ego is to bruise it a bit, take your lumps and form a callus.
Good start here, keep moving forward, post another tune and grow along with the rest of us.
Nicely done ritardando there at the end. Goggle says I spelled it right, my spell check says not; oh well, must latin or sumpin huh?

Tom

OK, I was kidding about the fragile ego.   And the "extreme risk" is zero since, as you've probably surmised, my name is an alias.

Thanks for the comments.   Musical tastes are a vast spectrum. 

Personally, I'd rather listen to Billie Holiday sing on an old scratchy 45 RPM mono record than some over produced wall of sound garbage.   Which may be ironic, because I only work with MIDI.

ritardando: In music, becoming gradually slower; diminishing in speed: same as rallentando and (usually) ritenuto (but see the latter). Abbreviated rit. and ritard.

The Firefox spell checker flagged them all!

8 hours ago, RobertWS said:

Personally, I'd rather listen to Billie Holiday sing on an old scratchy 45 RPM mono record than some over produced wall of sound garbage.

+1 to that!

ritardando: In music, becoming gradually slower; diminishing in speed: same as rallentando and (usually) ritenuto (but see the latter). Abbreviated rit. and ritard.

The Firefox spell checker flagged them all!

Yep, and my “smart phone” would have “corrected” ritard  to “*****” and we can’t have that!

T

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah...I can see 8 bit Mario sauntering through a world like this...nice changes and movement. A little soothe or Gullfoss to tame the high end would have made it easier on the ears but I like the arrangement and how it slowed down at the end instead of just cutting off.  I thought it was very creative.

On 11/10/2019 at 11:20 AM, Johnbee58 said:

Sounds like a video game.😃

I'm surprised anyone would say that.  The violin sounds were recorded by Itzhak Perlman on a priceless Stradivarius violin built in 1714.  The recording were converted to MIDI sound fonts.

Well, not everyone is blessed with a good set of ears.   🙂

Edited by RobertWS