[SOLVED] What's a Video Post Doing in This Forum?

razor7music

The answer? You spoiled me!

I get the best answers, from friendly pros here in a fraction of the time as with other forums.

Here's my question for those of you working with video software.

Prior to Magix buying Sony Vegas, you could integrate functionality between Vegas and Hitfilm Express. After Magix, no mas...(I'm leaving out the details because you already know all this)

I'm seeing conflicting posts that there are hacks to make Vegas recognize Hitfilm formats, but then there's a contradicting post somewhere else.

So, before I go down a rabbit hole, I thought I'd ask this group since many of you do video as well.

What is the current answer and hack for HF Express v 13.1 and Vegas Pro 13?

Many thanks!

Stephen

Edited by razor7music

MAGIX changed the API for VEGAS Pro to remove Sony branding, so this is going to break a lot of recent VEGAS Pro extensions when you try to use them with pre-MAGIX VEGAS Pro releases.  You'll have to find a version of the software built to work with Sony Vegas Pro 13 from a few years back.

VEGAS Pro 14 and 15 have been on Humble Bundle multiple times for $25, so most users have updated off of those ancient versions.  HitFilm are not going to implement fixes for this, and that isn't technically MAGIX software... so you're on you own there.

There is no hack.  Upgrading VEGAS Pro is the only way to regain compatibility with recent HitFilm releases.

• Like 1

I got lucky and scored Vegas Pro Edit 15 along with Hitfilm Express, Sound Forge and a bunch of other stuff in a Humble Bundle a few months ago for $25. I had been running Vegas Pro 10, and the difference was astonishing, to say the least. Not so much in features or anything in the UI, but smoothness, speed and stability were vastly improved. I am far, far from being any kind of power user of Vegas. Every time I fire it up I have to re-learn how to do a fadeout, but the the improvement was immediately noticeable, so Magix are doing a good job.

I've gotten good information in this forum: https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/vegas-pro-forum/

Vegas is a great video editor and I also got in on the Humble Bumble deal as Inhad been using Vegas for many years. It has been so frustrating for me as it seems to crash constantly. I was so frustrated trying to edit and render my last video (the B-3x review) as it would constantly crash when trying to render and at other times just random things. I have actually been trying to learn Davinci Resolve to see how that goes.

That's terrible. Vegas Pro Edit 15 is crashy for you where it was a big improvement for me.

Video NLE is probably the application that is most finicky about system configuration. If it doesn't like your video card or sound interface, you'll find out about it.

I've had to play around with different video cards on my main system. The one that I'm using now was originally causing trouble with Mixcraft when running the 64-bit version. Then after I upgraded my system to Windows 10, I was able to put it back in and it plays nice. But at various times I've used an nVidia, the onboard HD4000 (which caused Cakewalk to have lags drawing screen elements), and then finally, the Radeon.

The FP10's still seem to be rock solid, thank heaven. They're good, workhorse interfaces, and a great way to get a lot of inputs.

• Like 1

I always found sony vegas pro to be stable, back in the day, it was a highly pirated software and the cracked versions were never stable for long, a lot of people complaining about crashes were using the cracked version. I don't know what the newer Magix versions are like, I am still using 10.

I've also been using hitfilm quite a lot recently, pretty surprising, the quality of effects like planes flying over, rockets hitting cities, star trek beam outs. Not cheesy at all but so many variables to play with.

Hello All--

I'm going to wrap up at least my part of the OP. I found out there is no hack. I can either scour the Internet for an old version of HitFilm Express or upgrade to the current version of Vegas Pro. Neither option looks attractive to me, so I'm going to just work with what I've got.

I would like to add that even though my DAW is rock solid for audio, video is another thing. If I want to sample some FX on a video clip, the preview is jumpy and jerky. I can play clips with no FX, and I can render whatever I want and it comes out good--but I can't play clips with FX assigned smoothly. It reminds me of when I used to try to keep Melodyne as a plug-in in realtime in Cakewalk. Just doesn't work that way. I have to bounce the section with Melodyne. That's my rig anyway.

Well, thanks for all the input!