Horse Latitudes (original)

steve@baselines.com

The intro reminded me of Seven Bridges Road (mixed with a little Jon Anderson), well done indeed.
I'm going to get myself in a bit of trouble here but the "grid" is both our friend and our enemy.
That persistent "one" keeps coming round and we feel it necessary to be right on the beat. Building tempo maps is a lot of work, but its one of the most important
tools we have. For me its got to "breathe". I know that most modern music is laid down to a click track, but the A list studio cats are dancing around that click.
What I'm trying to say is your tune is just a bit "stiff". If I'm producing, we've got to put a bit more "feel" into it, that takes it to the next level.
Fine tune overall, maybe I'm criticizing my own work rather than yours, I don't know; just me...

Tom

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, DeeringAmps said:

For me its got to "breathe". I know that most modern music is laid down to a click track, but the A list studio cats are dancing around that click.
What I'm trying to say is your tune is just a bit "stiff".

DeeringAmps - thanks for the feedback - you are absolutely correct about that.  It's a battle for being exactly tight and also not regimented - gotta work on that.  I do build tempo maps when I do covers.  Maybe next original I do I will try a different approach.

Don't worry too much about not fitting "into the mold".  I don't know if a mold was ever defined in music creation anyway.  If it has been, I certainly don't fit into it. 😉

It's a great song.  Love the use of instruments.  Well written, produced and recorded.  Something you can be proud of,  mold or not

😀John B

On 11/9/2019 at 10:54 AM, DeeringAmps said:

1 hour ago, Johnbee58 said:

Don't worry too much about not fitting "into the mold".  I don't know if a mold was ever defined in music creation anyway.  If it has been, I certainly don't fit into it. 😉

It's a great song.  Love the use of instruments.  Well written, produced and recorded.  Something you can be proud of,  mold or not

😀John B

Thanks John!  I really appreciate your feedback.