MOTU M-2 and M-4 Interfaces

cclarry

They certainly look amazing - and as somebody who never uses his ears to judge an audio product, it's a win for me :)

plus Mitch Gallagher has a great right hand technique (🤩) - left hand totally stationary throughout but that right hand  is worthy of a TV weatherman.

Edited by simon
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

I had a couple of firewire 828mkii for many years - they were brilliant - and joking apart, the spec of those new M2/M4 boxes looks very good indeed

balanced outs - individually switchable phantom power - proper onboard metering - midi - hi-Z inputs

My friend just bought a SB uc22mkii and we were laughing about how 1990's it looked, hardware-wise.  Looks like MOTU might have a winner .....if the firm/software is good.

(edit)

of course we haven't seen the price yet :)

Edited by simon
  • Like 1

Good timing.  I was about to pull the trigger on that Steinberg ur22mkII for my newish windows laptop but I just ordered the Motu  4x4 from Sweetwater.

I had the 828mk2 for a good decade+ and when I built a new desktop this summer I replaced it with a  motu ultralite mk4  and it has been just as hassle free as the 828.

Hoping for the same on this box!

• Like 1

I haven't looked closely at the specs, but FWIW, I have a Tascam US2x2 and use the Mix knob all the time because it effectively controls both the Line Out and the Phones at the same time.  I have those 2 gain knobs "normalized" with each other because I run a sub-woofer off the Phone jack - when not using headphones of course.  I hope that made sense...  Short answer, I find the Mix  knob very useful because of my Mickey Mouse monitoring setup.  🐭

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Simeon Amburgey said:

Now all I need is to get going with my new system build so I can actually have a USB C port

I thought most devices came with an adapter so you can use USB C in USB-B ports? Or maybe it was just one of the Focusrite ones I was looking at a while ago?

2 hours ago, antler said:

I thought most devices came with an adapter so you can use USB C in USB-B ports? Or maybe it was just one of the Focusrite ones I was looking at a while ago?

OK!

just looked at the specs and it seems to work the same as the Focusrite 3rd gen 4i4 I have been testing for the past few weeks (and has really been performing very well here). I am even more intrigued to try this, especially the 4 channel version.

1 hour ago, simon said:

I think those particular interfaces come with a USB C to USB A cable as default - it was in one of the videos

they don't actually supply a C-C cable

And it's still USB 2.  It would be interesting what kind of buffer size one can run with stuff like Serum and Spire.  Usually something in this price range does not run well under 512 samples.  I doubt you would get the low latency of a Babyface or the mk4.  

When someone gets one I'd like to know these things.      

Optimized drivers yield round-trip latency as low as 2.5ms at 24-bit/96kHz with a 32 sample buffer.

I'm a doubting Thomas on a unit with a $169 price tag. 

Edited by kitekrazy