MXL Revelation Tube Condenser Mic

cclarry

I picked up a pair of these, they are very frequently on sale at pssl

If you google them they get amazing reviews with people comparing them to u47 etc etc.  That's why I bought them....   Obviously this just my opinion but they are not nearly as good as the reviews suggest.  The build quality is much better than most of the cheaper chinese mics, the cable, case and shockmount are very nice too but the sound still has that slightly brittle an scratchy quality you get from cheaper mics - it's a little 'hyped' and tiring.

The valves (tubes!) are EHX and one of them was a little 'staticy' - I swapped out valves (tubes) with some very nice NOS mullards but they didn't fix the sound to my liking.  The PSU are a little noisy too, that is mechanical hum from the transformer, so you need to keep them well away from the mic. They are definitely worth $299 especially if you don't have a LDC.

TLDR: I don't really find much use for them as I have other options that are better but then that's true of most of the things I buy....and that never seems to stop me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@simon  

Thanks for the input!  I was very tempted at first because I've been wanting to pick up a multi-pattern mic at some point and yes the reviews look good - even SoS was pretty positive comparing it against the AKG C12VR.  Glad I didn't pull the trigger 'cause I don't have $299 to waste.

don't worry, they'll be at $299 again very soon - and I don't think they are a bad buy at that price :)

I'm not sure quite what the deal is with these particular mics and PSSL - you can't buy this mic from anywhere else any more, but they are not sitting on a big stock of old ones in a warehouse somewhere -  the dates on mine were only a week prior to my order. ?

Edited by simon