Using Jamstix4 With AD2 (SOLVED)

bayoubill

I Am trying out different drummers on JS4. Each has it's own thing going on so I use them with any song I’m composing. When I’m happy with what I have I copy and paste into AD2. then find the right sound with a kit that sounds best for the song. After that I go back  back to JS4 to get the right kit sound from it.

I either use both tracks or a little of each to complete an arrangement

What do you guys do? 

Edited by bayoubill

40 minutes ago, bayoubill said:

I Am trying out different drummers on JS4. Each has it's own thing going on so I use them with any song I’m composing. When I’m happy with what I have I copy and paste into AD2. then find the right sound with a kit that sounds best for the song. After that I go back  back to JS4 to get the right kit sound from it.

What do you guys do? 

Leave them locked in the car. 😁

(We are talking about drummers, ya?) 

Edited by craigb

I haven't used it as much as I should, but I've generally recorded the Jamstix MIDI output early in the game and switched  it to MIDI Playback mode. Then I can re-arrange and edit the MIDI to get the best fit to the music I've already composed, and maybe move some parts to another VST if I'm not getting the sound I want for a particular kit piece from Jamstix. In that case, I typically take the quick and dirty path of moving the MIDI for that part to the relevant note number on another synth track . The more 'elegant' way would be to use a Drum Map on the MIDI output to send that part to the desired note number(s) on the desired synth,  but  it takes more time to set that up, and since It's usually a one-time thing for a particular project, I don't bother.

• Like 1

Actually just learning about version 4 from your post. I'm delighted to hear and will have it soon. Still on version 3 here and haven't tried it in a few years. If I recall it was a bit convoluted to get the midi. For me it was just easier sending the midi output to whatever other drum program that I wanted in most cases. 

Thanks and salute brother Bill from the bayou.  

On 11/4/2019 at 3:21 PM, bayoubill said:

What do you guys do? 

I use MIDI outs on the Drum Kit, Select AD2 to see JS4 and therefore you only get the AD2 sound with the JS4 controling it all.

What I want to do is the same scenario but have JS4 control Drum Core 4, but JS4 does not have DrumCore midi maps which makes it far more difficult to get it up and running.

21 hours ago, Grant Starr said:

If I recall it was a bit convoluted to get the midi.

Actually pretty straightforward:

- Check the box to Enable MIDI Out when inserting Jamstix

- Insert another MIDI track, and set it's Input to Jamstix.

- Leave Input Echo disabled.

- Arm the MIDI track to record, and hit R.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's an option to drag  MIDI out of the Jamstix UI, but I've always used the above method because I just like to watch it do its thing in real time, and listen for parts that I might want to modify, move, delete, copy, re-arrange, assign to a different synth, etc.

After recording, you can drag that clip to the Jamstix track and switch it to MIDI Playback mode, or take parts of it to different tracks or separate lanes of the of the Jamstix track... whatever works.

EDIT: Looking back at some of the projects where I used it, I've usually just set the input of the Jamstix MIDI/Simple Instrument track to the Jamstix MIDI Out, and recorded directly into that track. So long as you leave Input Echo disabled while Jamstix is in Jam mode, that works fine.

Edited by David Baay
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...

Just happened to find this thread and was glad to see some of the people who've gone out of their way to help me figure things out over here involved in the discussion(David Baay/Scook)....

Started working w/Jamstix 4 free version over the last few days,just familiarizing myself w/it so it's great to find out you guys are also using it/familiar w/the ins-and-outs of things.....

Hey Shane _B!!

Appreciate you posting here man,was hoping this was still an active thread...looking forward to getting feedback/tips about using it from everyone....actually going through the manual right now and finding info about some of the stuff I was noticing from messing around w/it yesterday using both the browser Media files as well as the built-in patterns/Song builder....

BTW just got a PM about the OP,my condolences....

Edited by Gary Shore