Everybody's favorite drum VST and more

This is probably been done a few times before but what's the easiest drum VST you guys are using? Superior? Addictive? Session? Toontracks?

I have session drummer that came with sonar but if something's easier I would swap it out. And own the groove monkee mega pack

I also I have some midi and wav percussion loops from the ancient drag and drop desk. Can one still acidize a loop to use the wave files at a different BPM? (The wav only goes up to 120 )Also as to the mini ones what would be a good GM sound set for percussion instruments? 

Thank you

WSS

9 minutes ago, Stephen Simmons said:

This is probably been done a few times before but what's the easiest drum VST you guys are using? Superior? Addictive? Session? Toontracks?

I have session drummer that came with sonar but if something's easier I would swap it out. And own the groove monkee mega pack

I also I have some midi and wav percussion loops from the ancient drag and drop desk. Can one still acidize a loop to use the wave files at a different BPM? (The wav only goes up to 120 )Also as to the mini ones what would be a good GM sound set for percussion instruments? 

Thank you

WSS

"Easy" in terms of what? using as a GM/GS kits? convenience of clicking a minimal amount of buttons and getting something useful? tweaking/customizing patterns? adding loop packs? adding personal/custom patterns? adding samples from other places? tweaking samples? availability/convenience of support files (e.g., drum maps) etc.

Please note: I am asking not just for clarification, but because I have started to use "automatic" drummers and am very interested in things like importing patterns from hardware/my own patterns, importing drums (samples/kits) from samplers (hardware/software), etc.

BTW, you mention "midi and wav percussion loops from the ancient drag and drop desk." Are you aware that you can drop and drag audio and midi loops directly from BandLab?

Thanks for raising this question; hope I'm not piggy-backing too much onto your basic question. It does seem to fit the topic, though, and if others will be commenting, it might be nice to have some of these features addressed in addition to the concerns you raised.

49 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

"Easy" in terms of what? using as a GM/GS kits? convenience of clicking a minimal amount of buttons and getting something useful? tweaking/customizing patterns? adding loop packs? adding personal/custom patterns? adding samples from other places? tweaking samples? availability/convenience of support files (e.g., drum maps) etc.

basically something that's pretty straightforward. Example a particular drum style and versions A B C or D of that same pattern. With clearly marked  intros fill's perhaps endings. I imagine everything is easy enough to go into the drum kit lower or raise the pitch add Reverb EQ Etc blah blah blah

Please note: I am asking not just for clarification, but because I have started to use "automatic" drummers and am very interested in things like importing patterns from hardware/my own patterns, importing drums (samples/kits) from samplers (hardware/software), etc.

session drummer is just a little bit clunky having to load patterns into the various little boxes and the intros fills and ending bills and endings aren't clearly marked.

BTW, you mention "midi and wav percussion loops from the ancient drag and drop desk." Are you aware that you can drop and drag audio and midi loops directly from BandLab?

I certainly do know that. I was wondering if the old feature called acidizing which stretch the wave files to fit a different BPM. And a good General midi percussion set to load in for those.

Thanks for raising this question; hope I'm not piggy-backing too much onto your basic question. It does seem to fit the topic, though, and if others will be commenting, it might be nice to have some of these features addressed in addition to the concerns you raised.

not familiar with automatic drums but I like the word automatic!

WSS

My main drum VSTi for sounds is Addictive Drums 2.

Most of the time I'll either play my own drum parts (either via electronic kit or keyboard), but I also use Jamstix 4 if I'm not totally happy with what I've come up with.

If I'm just jamming away, I'll use AIR Strike 2 - the sounds are a bit dated, but the beats are great and I just love how you can use the pitch bend & mod wheels to alter complexity & intensity in real time.

I sometimes like Sennheiser DrumMic'a, which has great sounds and includes some MIDI loops and since it's a Kontakt Player instrument, allows you to send each output to a different track. Also, free.

For everyday use, Sonivox' BlueJay Drums, which is sounds-only. I mostly use drum VST's for sketching out my own ideas into guide tracks for me to play along to while I'm recording, sort of a super click track.

RealiDrums by Realitone.   Fills that automatically adjust to fill-in the 1, 2, 3 or 4 beats left over in a bar.  Slidebar control of pattern complexity.  Minimal EQ needed to set in a mix.

https://realitone.com/products/realidrums

Oh, I forgot to mention, presently on 50% off sale for $149 US.

Uses Kontakt or included free Kontakt player

Edited by Jim Fogle

16 hours ago, Johnbee58 said:

EZ Drummer 2.  I use it religiously.  Instant editable gratification.

🙂JB

That will probably be my next one. I like the ease that you can edit drum parts with that.

I have Addictive Drums 2 with plenty of kits and patterns, and love the sound. Just wish it had some of the features of EZ.

I love the sound of Addictive Drums 2, and also that of Battery 3 and 4.

I do wish that Addictive Drums 2 had 2 mics for snare and kick, rather than one each, just for a bit more control, however they AD2 does have some nice features 2.

Another thing with AD2, that is quite a pain, is that when you set a kit to go to separate outputs, since that bypasses the effects the kit uses on its internal mixer's Master bus, if I want to match the sound of the kit as if I had not routed to separate outputs, I have to then replicate the effects and settings from those Master bus effects.  Not a big deal, except that some of the parameters are expressed in goofy percentages, rather than a numeric level, and, those percentages are not displayed on the little Sends strips above each of the faders, and when I click on the little vertical bars, it does display the percentage, HOWEVER, it also changes the value because of my mouse click, and then I have to either guess at it while clicking until it looks like maybe I got it right, or I have to reload the kit to make sure I didn't alter those values.  (and, percentage of WHAT?)

And, in the process of replicating those Master bus effects, I have to guess at what things like their parameter, 'Swirl', mean.  I have no idea what that is.

Good thing AD2's sound is so nice, given the goofiness of the above., and, a BIG plus, is the incredible number of strike choices for the kit pieces, for example, there are note mappings for hitting the Hi-Hat stand, which is quite a kewl sound.

Bob Bone

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/10/2019 at 7:48 PM, Johnbee58 said:

EZ Drummer 2.  I use it religiously.  Instant editable gratification.

🙂JB

After researching that's the one I pulled the trigger on. Ezdrummer 2 songwriters Edition. I already own the groove monkey complete pack and that's one of the ones they suggested as well. Cheers everybody

WSS

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Stephen Simmons said:

After researching that's the one I pulled the trigger on. Ezdrummer 2 songwriters Edition. I already own the groove monkey complete pack and that's one of the ones they suggested as well. Cheers everybody

WSS

When you say "songwriters edition" are you referring to the MIDI pack groove collection?

😀JB

• 3 weeks later...