2 hours ago, Stephen Simmons said:

I have one that's a pain in my oh, well you know, that wants me the sign on as administrator to do it and I can't figure that out so I'm just not going to use it.

WSS

If you right-click on the Cakewalk launch icon, one of the options you will then see, is Run As Administrator, and when you click that, you will then see a message pop up, asking if you want to allow that program (Cakewalk) to make changes, (or some text like that), and when you click OK, Cakewalk will be launched with the elevated execution privileges that come with Run As Administrator.

Give that a shot - for whichever pain in the ' ' you were referring to.

As far as your Iowa piano not finding its presets, I just downloaded the zip file for it, copied the contents of the zip folder (a folder named 'Iowa Piano - 64.instruments' and a 64-bit dll called 'Iowa Piano - 64.dll', into a folder I created, called Iowa Piano, in  C:\\Program Files\VST64 (all my 64-bit VST2 plugins are in here), then launched Cakewalk.  Cakewalk scanned the new plugin, and it became available in the Uncategorized category. 

When I loaded it into the project, it opened up to the Iowa Piano instrument, and works just fine.

SO, as also mentioned in the above post, bi @HIBI, you need to have BOTH that sub-folder and the dll itself, copied into your VST Plugins folder - I suggest you put them into a folder called Iowa Piano, that you create in your VST Plugins folder, like I did.  Works like a champ.

If you need to download the Iowa Piano again, here is a link to it, which is where I got it: http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php?plugin=Iowa_Piano&id=2294

Bob Bone

On 11/4/2019 at 3:25 PM, HIBI said:

@António Brites Seems missing "Iowa Piano - 64.mse" file.
Is there "Iowa Piano - 64.instruments" folder it contains "Iowa Piano - 64.mse" in "Iowa_Piano_-_64" folder which installed (copied) to plugin folder?

yes! in the beggining i thougth that was the problem but i don't think it is...

2.PNG

Edited by António Brites

On 11/4/2019 at 5:51 PM, Robert Bone said:

If you right-click on the Cakewalk launch icon, one of the options you will then see, is Run As Administrator, and when you click that, you will then see a message pop up, asking if you want to allow that program (Cakewalk) to make changes, (or some text like that), and when you click OK, Cakewalk will be launched with the elevated execution privileges that come with Run As Administrator.

As far as your Iowa piano not finding its presets, I just downloaded the zip file for it, copied the contents of the zip folder (a folder named 'Iowa Piano - 64.instruments' and a 64-bit dll called 'Iowa Piano - 64.dll', into a folder I created, called Iowa Piano, in  C:\\Program Files\VST64 (all my 64-bit VST2 plugins are in here), then launched Cakewalk.  Cakewalk scanned the new plugin, and it became available in the Uncategorized category. 

When I loaded it into the project, it opened up to the Iowa Piano instrument, and works just fine.

SO, as also mentioned in the above post, bi @HIBI, you need to have BOTH that sub-folder and the dll itself, copied into your VST Plugins folder - I suggest you put them into a folder called Iowa Piano, that you create in your VST Plugins folder, like I did.  Works like a champ.

If you need to download the Iowa Piano again, here is a link to it, which is where I got it: http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php?plugin=Iowa_Piano&id=2294

Bob Bone

On 11/4/2019 at 5:51 PM, Robert Bone said:

Bob Bone

3 minutes ago, António Brites said:

yes! in the beggining i thougth that was the problem but i don't think it is...

2.PNG

Not sure that I would use the Iowa Piano, but I tried it. It works. I used the link posted above, unzipped it, pointed the vst scanner to the path . . . /downloads/iowa_piano_-_64, did a manual rescan and it showed up. 

Note: I do not have it in either of the Windows Programs folders.   I downloaded it to my Downloads folder and uncompressed it there. I then added that path to my vst scan path list.  

Maybe someone who is an expert on Windows can tell you if having the *.mse file in a Programs folder is part of the problem. Anyhow, hope this helps.

image.png.29bf44dd0c3b3c065d96a28abc1f2531.png

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Matthew Sorrels said:

The DLL must be in the directory above the samples.  Just like it is in the zip file.  You put the DLL into the same dir as the samples and that won't work.  Move it up one directory (leave the samples the .mse file in Iowq Piano - 64.instruments, move the DLL)

IT WORKED! thank you so much!

• Like 1

The lesson from all of this, is to be careful with the folder hierarchy of instruments, as they routinely pull associated samples or other sound content, from sub-folders, and that exact relationship between a dll and its associated sub-folder is most often REQUIRED to be as they placed it in the downloaded folder it comes in.

This instrument and sub-folder arrangement is quite common with plugins - both instruments and, to a lesser extent, effects.

Bob Bone

• Like 1

11 hours ago, António Brites said:
12 hours ago, HIBI said:

@António Brites
Iowa Piano - 64.mse file must be located in a sub folder it's named Iowa Piano - 64.instruments, I think.
So make Iowa Piano - 64.instruments folder there and then move Iowa Piano - 64.mse file into that folder.

Aight i did but it didn't work still...

I don't know why did you move Iowa Piano - 64.dll file, too.
Anyway glad to hear that now it's works.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...