"Hey There"

RexRed

Still a work in progress.

Tips and suggestions welcome Cakewalk peeps.

This was made totally from scratch me playing Freddy Mercury's sampled Grand Rhapsody piano!

It still needs more love but I thought i would share what I have so far.

Best regards!

RexRed

• Like 2

Very intimate feel on this one. Again, must be someone special in your life.
Really like the vocal harmonies.
I would "dress" up the bass line just a bit; study McCartney, he holds down the tune solidly, but adds those little embellishments along the way.
Overall a big thumbs up.

Tom
ps: I've commented on the picture you use on your tunes before, no criticism here , but I would have it reflect the tune a bit more.
Great on the "Country Rockers", but these intimate love songs really need some special.
just me...

Hey Tom, 

I have uploaded what I consider the finished version of this song. I took your advice and changed the bass. First I changed it to a fretless so it would poke through the music a bit more and the embellishments would be more fluid. I could have even gone further with more new embellishments but I settled for a middle path. Then I also added an electric piano  to soften the acoustic piano. I panned the acoustic a bit to the right and the EP a bit to the left. I also played/added an electric guitar solo. I have placed it into a music video for YouTube so the mix now is pretty much set in stone. I debated adding drums and decided against it. I am not sure why because drums might had sounded good in spots but maybe it might have detracted a bit from the intimacy.

As for the photo that accompanies my song releases, ReverbNation only allows for a finite number of photo storage and I have reached that quota. I have over 200 songs there so I have given up on the idea of having song art associated with each song release and I have settled for this static photo of me.

I may write them an email asking them to increase the photo quota someday when I get around to it.

AMiller, thanks for the nice compliment on my song here, always good to have your okay.

And whoever bought my song on ReverbNation, thanks for that too. My songs are DRM free on ReverbNation. :)

Best regards!

RexRed 

Hey David, it sounds like maybe your speakers are not in phase or set in mono.  A mono switch could possibly make the music disappear or sound distant.

I am playing/mixing this on a set of "Kustom" cabinets, 16" speakers with radial horns close range and it was mixed with Reference 4 turned on.

It could be a problem on my end, it will not the first time I have blundered mixes.

When I play it the music seems fairly well mixed with the vocals but I did not really test this mix for mono compatibility, like I usually do. I am sure some of the presets I used are out of correlation phase.

I may revisit this mix again in the future just to check how my ears hear it after a break from it.

Please let me know if anyone else is having a serious separation effect of the music track from the vocal in this song.

Thanks for the heads up on the mix David.

Best regards Cakewalk peeps!

RexRed