Only Time-Original

Johnbee58

Here's a song I wrote and recorded in Samplitude Music Studio back in 2010.  These are the original tracks, including a bass & acoustic guitartrack done by a cyber-friend.  Fortunately, I thought enough to converted the MIDIs to WAVs which made it much easier to do this.  Then it was just a matter of opening the wavs in CbB and remixing them.  This was all thrashed out manually.  No EZ Keys or EZ Drummer back then for me.  I had to program or play everything by myself.

Also, I could actually sing back in those days, compared to the sick way I sound now.

Please enjoy "Only Time"

https://johnbowen.bandcamp.com/track/only-time

🙂John B

• Like 1

Nice job.  That sounded like a mellotron in the intro.  I thought you sang this quite well, and the lyrics were good - although as mentioned above a bit dark.

Overall the mix works well - I like where the lead vocal sits in the mix, and the telephone BGVs are a nice touch.

Is that a flute solo - that's what it sounded like to me.

Cool tune - thanks for posting.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Douglas Kirby said:

Nice job.  That sounded like a mellotron in the intro.  I thought you sang this quite well, and the lyrics were good - although as mentioned above a bit dark.

Overall the mix works well - I like where the lead vocal sits in the mix, and the telephone BGVs are a nice touch.

Is that a flute solo - that's what it sounded like to me.

Cool tune - thanks for posting.

Thanks so much, Doug!

😀JB

JB  Only Time
Seemed like a mismatch between the upbeat music and lyrics.
But then nice transition at 1:17  with the brooding strings. Need more of that.
Vocal is quite good.
Not sure if that voc fx on "woe, woe" is really needed or what you were trying to do there.  
The rhyming and cadence are very good.

I was confused about:
"wish there was a way to leave you"   implies you're still in the relationship
"only time can heal me now"    implies that relationship is over but the pain remains.

Ominous:
"something that I cling to"
"Why would you care?"

Overall, I did like the song quite a lot. I get the feeling that I might have missed something about the lyrics.

• Like 1

Hi John.  Another nice song from you.  This one also carries the emotion that some of your other songs have presented.  You really get a wonderful introspective match of vocals, lyrics, melody and instrumentation that conveys this emotion.  BTW, I like the reverb on the vocal backup fillers.

Really good stuff --- thanks for posting.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bjornpdx said:

JB  Only Time
Seemed like a mismatch between the upbeat music and lyrics.
But then nice transition at 1:17  with the brooding strings. Need more of that.
Vocal is quite good.
Not sure if that voc fx on "woe, woe" is really needed or what you were trying to do there.  
The rhyming and cadence are very good.

I was confused about:
"wish there was a way to leave you"   implies you're still in the relationship
"only time can heal me now"    implies that relationship is over but the pain remains.

Ominous:
"something that I cling to"
"Why would you care?"

Overall, I did like the song quite a lot. I get the feeling that I might have missed something about the lyrics.

Thanks Bjorn.  The "Woe, woes" sounded better on the original Samplitude mix and I was trying to re create it here.  Didn't work quite as well, especially the second one.  As far as the feeling you might have missed something about the lyrics, all I can say is "me too".😁

1 hour ago, freddy j said:

Hi John.  Another nice song from you.  This one also carries the emotion that some of your other songs have presented.  You really get a wonderful introspective match of vocals, lyrics, melody and instrumentation that conveys this emotion.  BTW, I like the reverb on the vocal backup fillers.

Really good stuff --- thanks for posting.

Thanks a lot, Freddy.  That song was written at a particularly bad point in my life.  In fact, the music came to me in the midst of a really bad bout of stomach flu.  Of course, I waited till I felt better to record it but I wanted to capture a bit of inner turmoil.

😀JB

Hi, John,

This is a really well written and performed smooth jazz/pop rocker with outstanding vocals!😀

I love the instrumentation and playing on this one, the melodic vocal lines are perfect for your voice, and I really loved the tasty synth and piano work.

The mix is crystal clear, well textured and perfect for the genre.  I could easily imagine hearing this on the radio or even as part of the backing track to a Television drama or movie.👍

Excellent work, John, really good stuff!😀

Have a good one!
Bob

• Like 1