Toontrack EZ Bass must be close!

cclarry

Superior Drummer 3 is so good, that I couldn't bring myself to spend the money on Modo Drums. But Modo Bass? Woo howdy, that's sweet.

Sweeter still will be building the bass line in EZ Bass and playing it through Modo Bass. Or CoreBass Pear. Or one of the many other bass VIs, sampled, modeled or synth.

modobass_daw_imac@2x.jpg

• Like 4

I too love SD3, but I was tempted into pre-ordering Modo Drum. I thought as a modelled instrument, it might be possible to easily change between different tools (i.e. brushes). Alas, no brushes (yet?).

On the plus side, the ride has a dedicated fader (I know: it's not 'realistic' when recording live drums, and you can also add a custom mic in SD3), and there's lots of tweakability.

Edited by antler

I ended up getting Modo Bass on the $99 deal.  When Modo Drums hits that
price point I'll probably bite too.  BUT, EZ Bass seems to be far more appealing.
The ability to pick from preset MIDI to build a song is IDEAL.  Modo Bass 
COMPLETELY missed the game on that.  But it does sound good for being
such a small footprint, which is one of it's only advantages.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, cclarry said:

When Modo Drums hits that price point I'll probably bite too.  

The ability to pick from preset MIDI to build a song is IDEAL.

*Modo Bass COMPLETELY missed the game on that.

I will probably wait till the next TS MAX  upgrade sale, then I'll get it.

*This was the question I was watching this thread for. Thanks Larry. Haven't really got into MODO Bass yet, so I didn't know if it came with any midi.

Bee using ST4 for my bass sounds lately. And ST4 has midi loops with it. To use them is a PITA though. But it does work. You have to work at it to get it to fit in your song.

Groove Monkee has bass midi loops too. And they are not bad. use them with ST4 and get good results.

But there is nothing on the market that will do for your bass what EZD does for drums or EZK will do for you keys/piano parts. Glad to see this really.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

With today's software you can edit the suck out of your playing.

That depends on how bad the suck is!!

I have tried and the intricate stuff gets lost in the audio to midi conversion. And that's what makes or breaks a useable  part. Fo me anyway.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grem said:

That depends on how bad the suck is!!

I have tried and the intricate stuff gets lost in the audio to midi conversion. And that's what makes or breaks a useable  part. Fo me anyway.

Oh that's easy.  Records the note you use and put them in Kontakt.   You can always dumb it down.  If your audience is to impress other DAW users, dumbing down doesn't work. 

5 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

Oh that's easy.  Records the note you use and put them in Kontakt.   You can always dumb it down.  If your audience is to impress other DAW users, dumbing down doesn't work. 

True , i ask friends to play lines and i melodyne it , un reconaseable !!

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, antler said:

I too love SD3, but I was tempted into pre-ordering Modo Drum. I thought as a modelled instrument, it might be possible to easily change between different tools (i.e. brushes). Alas, no brushes (yet?).

On the plus side, the ride has a dedicated fader (I know: it's not 'realistic' when recording live drums, and you can also add a custom mic in SD3), and there's lots of tweakability.

You can change the volume of the ride individually in sd3 as well, just click on it and adjust the gain

18 hours ago, cclarry said:

I ended up getting Modo Bass on the $99 deal.  When Modo Drums hits that
price point I'll probably bite too.  BUT, EZ Bass seems to be far more appealing.
The ability to pick from preset MIDI to build a song is IDEAL.  Modo Bass 
COMPLETELY missed the game on that.  But it does sound good for being
such a small footprint, which is one of it's only advantages.

But it's a big one.

I like having modeled instruments in my basic song template. A new/blank song loads more quickly. That said...

SD3 takes the longest to load. And I'll switch out Modo Bass for EZ Bass when it's released, which will slow the load down a bit more, but it'll be a good trade-off. EZ Keys loads pretty quickly, so I have high hopes for EZ Bass in that regard.

OK, so Shimmer Shake Strike (Kontakt VI) takes some time to load, too. And so does my guitar VI, so never mind what I said about loading fast. 😜

On another front, from the Way Back machine...

For EZ Drummer 2/Superior Drummer users...

EZ Drummer expansions that require EZ Drummer 1 are 16-bit libraries. Expansions that require EZ Drummer 2 are 24-bit libraries.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Coding a great B3 ain't easy. And I see EZKeys as more of a writing tool, not as the final audio source. EZKeys doesn't pass it's MIDI input through, but the MIDI from the MIDI clips playing in EZKeys is passed through if you enable its MIDI Out option. You can then use that to drive a B3 VSTi you already have.