Pentagon by Cakewalk

Hi dear all,

in "good old times" Cakewalk (not yet by Bandlab) used to have a fine softsynth called "Pentagon", which could create a lot of nice timbres which I had to search for endlessly with  more recent synths. What I am up to, there's a (historic) description of that thing:

https://www.kvraudio.com/product/pentagon_i_by_cakewalk

Does anyone know: Is that still somewhere available after the Cakewalk (by Gibson) store had been closed?

Or any recommendation which could replace that  thing?

Thankx.

Not that I would want to say the times of Cakewalk @ Bandlab were bad ones - !   😉

I do not recall the last time Pentagon I was sold separately. It was bundled with SONAR 5 Producer through X3 Producer. To get the plug-in run an advanced install of the 64bit version of any of those DAWs.

The registry was never updated so it is one of those plug-ins that must be run as administrator or have its registry permissions modified to give Users full control of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\rgc:audio Software\Dxi\Pentagon I

FfDNVeu.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scook said:

I do not recall the last time Pentagon I was sold separately. It was bundled with SONAR 5 Producer through X3 Producer. To get the plug-in run an advanced install of the 64bit version of any of those DAWs.

The registry was never updated so it is one of those plug-ins that must be run as administrator or have its registry permissions modified to give Users full control of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\rgc:audio Software\Dxi\Pentagon I

FfDNVeu.png

That looks fine, but where do I get the download from, please? I do not recall having such a file in my PC.

@Mad Musicologist  You can access your Sonar online account here:  https://www.cakewalk.com/My-Account/Login

Once you've logged in you can access "My Products" to download products and retrieve serial numbers or registration codes.  You can also download the Sonar Command Center software management application to manage the installation of newer products.

If you do not have an online account you will need to use whatever Sonar installation media you have on hand.

Since Pentagon is a plug-in accessory you'll need to install a software package that contains the Pentagon plug-in.  Once it's installed you can uninstall the package and keep the plug-in.

Another point of concern is if the plug-in is 32 or 64 bit.  It will need to be 64 bit to work with Cakewalk unless you use bit bridge or Jbridge.

7 minutes ago, Jim Fogle said:

Since Pentagon is a plug-in accessory you'll need to install a software package that contains the Pentagon plug-in.  Once it's installed you can uninstall the package and keep the plug-in.

Another point of concern is if the plug-in is 32 or 64 bit.  It will need to be 64 bit to work with Cakewalk unless you use bit bridge or Jbridge.

An advanced install of SONAR X3 and older permits installation of individual plug-ins. No need to uninstall anything. It is necessary to run the 64bit advanced install to get the appropriate plug-in as Pentagon I is a DX plug-in. Bridge tech only works with VST plug-ins.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jim Fogle said:

@Mad Musicologist  You can access your Sonar online account here:  https://www.cakewalk.com/My-Account/Login

Once you've logged in you can access "My Products" to download products and retrieve serial numbers or registration codes.  You can also download the Sonar Command Center software management application to manage the installation of newer products.

If you do not have an online account you will need to use whatever Sonar installation media you have on hand.

Thanks, tried this, but did not find rgc pentagon in the list. If I had to reinstall Sonar x3 to have that, I think there should be easier options to get  it. 

1 hour ago, scook said:

This is the message thrown by the permissions problem. Either run CbB as administrator or perform the registry edit detailed above.

Yup.  Setting the permissions in regedit did the trick.  Thanks!

Edited by User 905133
to fix typos
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Mad Musicologist said:

Thanks, tried this, but did not find rgc pentagon in the list. If I had to reinstall Sonar x3 to have that, I think there should be easier options to get  it. 

It is not necessary to reinstall SONAR X3 but it is necessary to run the X3 installer, select the 64bit and advanced install options then use the pick list in the installer to get Pentagon installed. Checking the X3 Feature Matrix both Studio and Producer included Pentagon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ok, got it working now. It is a phantastic instrument. Very different colors available.

But I also had to do the registry trick.

Now there  has been another very nice instrument in Sonar X3 studio, that was the "dreamstation". Alas, only in 32 bit.

How I wish they'd  give that a rebirth in 64 bit version. It was a very handy application with a lot of modulation and filtering options.

On 11/2/2019 at 8:23 AM, scook said:

Thanks as always, scook! I've been missing this for a while. I forgot how great this thing sounds.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, scook said:

Be careful browsing the presets. There is a bug in the plug-in that can cause it-in to generate an extremely loud noise when loading presents containing the Valleys settings in the Simulator.

Now you tell me. 😉 Seriously, not sure I stumbled onto this particular setting (Valleys), but I discovered a number of other (possibly related) issues about 4-5 hours ago--super hot resonance in spots, varied loudness from patch to patch, changes from an other versions not reflected in manuals  or release notes, etc.

Fortunately, almost every time a patch/setting pinned Cakewalk's virtual LEDs miles above the top, it must have been above my ears' cutoff frequency.  I did hear a few, though.  I think Cakewalk's audio reset button cleared the peaked meters.

Also, I learned not to change patches until the sound of the current patch was quite low.

BTW, when looking for a manual online that matched my Pentagon I, I stumbled onto an old trick I had read and tested ages ago--using Pentagon I as a Vocoder.

On the positive side, some of the patches made me not "hear" my  tinnitus--perfect for some projects I had been thinking about.

Edited by User 905133
to fix spelling error

Depends on the interface. Some don't create the loud blast, some do. It is unmistakable and if your interface made the sound you would know it regardless of any hearing deficit.

It also pegs the meters with an insanely high level.

For a cool virtual analog synth, take a look at Waves Element 2.0. On sale now for $44.98 with coupon code  "FALL2019" https://www.audiodeluxe.com/products/waves-element-20

https://www.waves.com/plugins/element

P.S. this thing occasionally goes on sale for $29, so if interested, keep an eye out for upcoming holiday specials! :D

Edited by abacab

12 hours ago, User 905133 said:

(...)

BTW, when looking for a manual online that matched my Pentagon I, I stumbled onto an old trick I had read and tested ages ago--using Pentagon I as a Vocoder.

On the positive side, some of the patches made me not "hear" my  tinnitus--perfect for some projects I had been thinking about.

That Vocoder thing might be interesting, User 905133,

please, could you kindly furnish some details where to look and click?

Sorry to read you are being harrassed by Tinnitus. That's really an annoyance.