AD2 after touch supported?

steve trusty

Using the Addictive Drums 2 drum map. I can’t seem to get cymbal chokes to work on the Roland TD 11kv. I’ve googled and found there is not much info to seek.. 

I found forums suggesting some daws don’t support midi cymbal chokes via e drums.

Does BL support “after touch”? 

I’ve tried toggling the after touch settings on and off in AD2 to no avail. 

Hi hat pedal works as it should although when I click the instrument with the mouse to preview the sound it always defaults the hi hat closed instead of open.  As if the foot pedal is in the down position. 

I should add I use midi out on the Roland not the USB input if that matters. 

Cakewalk by Bandlab does indeed support Aftertouch MIDI events.  Both Key and Channel Aftertouch is supported.

AD2 can respond to Aftertouch MIDI events for choking the cymbals.  However, AD2 responds to Key aftertouch events for this but does not respond to Channel aftertouch.

To choke a given cymbal, you need to send a key aftertouch event on the same note that triggered the cymbal to do the choke.

For example to activate a Cymbal 6 followed by a Cymbal 6 choke you need to send the following (as viewed in Event List view)

Note      G5
KeyAft   G5   {any value}

I am not sure if the Roland TD 11kv can be configured to send Key Aftertouch events when you  grab the cymbal.  I looked in the user guide and the word aftertouch does not appear anywhere in there. 

Another way is by hitting the black key immediately to the right of the note that triggers the given crash symbol.  So using the above example, the choke can be activate with a G#

You will have to check the Roland TD 11kv manual to see how to configure what gets sent when you grab the cymbal.  Maybe you can use notes instead of Key Aftertouch.

I hope this helps

You are correct. Nothing in the manual and I also searched through the td11 interface for the midi send notes and there’s nothing for cymbal chokes or after touch.

Actually each pad/cymbal only list 2 midi note slots. One for the bell/edge and rim/head. Looks like I’m out of luck here. 

I can always do as you suggest and manually enter the choke midi note via piano roll. Just sucks to have to go back and add it that way. 

Thanks for your help! 

Looks like I need to upgrade my td11 brain. 🤦‍♂️

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 2/5/2020 at 2:41 AM, Robert Bone said:

I have a drum map for AD2, that Noel put out there,  that includes notes mapped for cymbals and there are those for choke on Cymbals 1, 2, 3.  I have not tried them, but they are in the map.

http://www.noelborthwick.com/cakewalk/2015/02/06/drum-maps-ad2-in-sonar/

Bob Bone

Does anyone have that AD2 drum map? The download link on Noel's page no longer works.