Steinberg eLicenser Software updated to 6.11.9.2259

cclarry

1 hour ago, rasure said:

I`ve noticed there has been quite a few updates over the past couple of months.

I was going to say something similar.  I know I JUST updated it recently (I was still seeing the "No internet connection detected in my Cubase startup screen) and it was a pretty recent update.  I still do hope for something new, especially a new version of Cubase instead of some other tangential product I'm not as interested in.

Edit:  Also, https://www.elicenser.net will redirect you to the longer URL, I found it easier to remember when I want to check periodically myself.  Though this reminder was good to see because I wouldn't have checked for weeks if not months since I just updated.

Edited by Peter - IK Multimedia
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Zo said:

Ok guyz imagine no more dongle ? Don t laugth ;) 

If that actually happened a while ago, I would have looked more seriously at Cubase as an alternative DAW. Not saying Cubase isn't serious; more that I personally prefer to be dongle-free... and also to not have to pay for minor-point releases.

16 hours ago, Zo said:

Ok guyz imagine no more dongle ? Don t laugth ;) 

At one time IK went dongle.   Licensing is still my #1 factor in purchasing.  More iLok stuff has went past single activation and doesn't need hardware.    VSL still has the worst policy with dongles.

Melda and Image Line hasn't went under with their licensing. Nor has Izotope or IK.

5 hours ago, antler said:

If that actually happened a while ago, I would have looked more seriously at Cubase as an alternative DAW. Not saying Cubase isn't serious; more that I personally prefer to be dongle-free... and also to not have to pay for minor-point releases.

I'm thinking of not continuing the Cubase chain.  This is my first license.    FL, Bandlab, and Reaper will not break the bank.   I see more Mac users using Logic over Live.  Mixcraft is another one with cheap upgrades.  

Personnaly iv'e been testing here and there cubase for years , and this is why i bougth the Cubase 10 pro , this one is the first time it's solid in pretty every apsect including some aesthetics stuff ....

ok don't tell me how i know that , and don't spread it , but chance are they're going dongless : when ? will it be done or not ? can't say but , thy're into it ;)  that's why i said don't laugth , it wasn't a joke lol

and i know their update process is expensive that's why i waited a version i could stick with for years , the  only thing missing is the ability to have complex routing of complex fx / instuyments chains,reakltime Clip FX and an easy way to read overlapping audio clip events ... in all other areas it's pretty equals or superior to other daws ...

So wait and see .... at 179 euros the licences , risk is minimal , versus benefit if it rocks !!

I will def use it as a PT replacement and use S1 as my go to witch is the case since one year ...(still waiting bandlad to give that burst to next level , will be happy to help an any way by the way ....to get their things up to actual market needs )

3 hours ago, Zo said:

Personnaly iv'e been testing here and there cubase for years , and this is why i bougth the Cubase 10 pro , this one is the first time it's solid in pretty every apsect including some aesthetics stuff ....

ok don't tell me how i know that , and don't spread it , but chance are they're going dongless : when ? will it be done or not ? can't say but , thy're into it ;)  that's why i said don't laugth , it wasn't a joke lol

and i know their update process is expensive that's why i waited a version i could stick with for years , the  only thing missing is the ability to have complex routing of complex fx / instuyments chains,reakltime Clip FX and an easy way to read overlapping audio clip events ... in all other areas it's pretty equals or superior to other daws ...

So wait and see .... at 179 euros the licences , risk is minimal , versus benefit if it rocks !!

I will def use it as a PT replacement and use S1 as my go to witch is the case since one year ...(still waiting bandlad to give that burst to next level , will be happy to help an any way by the way ....to get their things up to actual market needs )

elicenser and Cubase are owned by Yamaha.......don't get your hopes up unless they go into the human imbed chip....

• Haha 1

I'm such a .....

2 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

elicenser and Cubase are owned by Yamaha.......don't get your hopes up unless they go into the human imbed chip....

Edited by Zo
  • Haha 1

One of the best anti dongle arguments came from Eric Pershing the founder of Spectrasonics.  He doesn't like the extra link in the chain with his users and brought up even the dongle maker gets acquired.

I prefer iLok over eLicenser if I had to choose between the 2 evils and death is not an option.

Ilok is like kontakt , alot of dev on it .... but elicencer looks more solid to me (technicaly speaking) anyway , no dongle is better ..

that said ilok based plugin managmenet and install is a breeeze versus zillions of centers / accounts / ect ....

10 hours ago, Zo said:

that said ilok based plugin managmenet and install is a breeeze versus zillions of centers / accounts / ect …

I just wish it didn't need to install at a driver level (which is inescapable, as it has to cater for the hardware dongle)

I'm glad we only had a short-lived relationship with "the dongle" but honestly I have used Cubase for so long and don't mind having the dongle, I just put it and my iLok on a lanyard and I'm good to go.  I rarely use a laptop or my same setup outside of my big and small room setups in the home studio as it is fairly well-equipped and anybody else I work with is usually at least as well-equipped or needs to force me to use Pro Tools working with them anyway (don't get me started - love/hate relationship there! But I learned it from when it was Sound Tools and so many colleagues use it so it is just what it is...).

It is probably also workflow-dependent, as I'll usually export WAV files (or at least stems) to work somewhere else since I like to try not to mix while composing or tracking and commit things at a certain point but YMMV and I totally see why dongles are hardwarta non grata for many.  Which is why IK didn't keep using one!

2 hours ago, Peter - IK Multimedia said:

I'm glad we only had a short-lived relationship with "the dongle"

This might be a question you're not allowed to answer, but is it difficult to break the connection between the plugins and the dongle? I don't mean in an illegal crack way; I mean as a company that has access to the source code. I'm just wondering from the point of view that if a company wanted to stop using a dongle copy protection scheme, is most of the effort in changing the code (and subsequently getting a new scheme in place), or getting the decision approved?

20 hours ago, antler said:

This might be a question you're not allowed to answer, but is it difficult to break the connection between the plugins and the dongle? I don't mean in an illegal crack way; I mean as a company that has access to the source code. I'm just wondering from the point of view that if a company wanted to stop using a dongle copy protection scheme, is most of the effort in changing the code (and subsequently getting a new scheme in place), or getting the decision approved?

Honestly it was before my tenure with IK (so over 10 years ago, wow how time flies!) so I wasn't around to witness it.  However, there are likely challenges both internally and externally if a company considers not using a dongle.  From my personal perspective, not IK's, I'd say a company would likely keep dongle protection around for the duration of the contract period for which they paid eLicenser, iLok, etc as a minimum even if they wanted to transition away from using a hardware dongle.  They'd also likely need that time to work on or implement whatever replacement licensing and copy protection scheme they subsequently chose.

The actual decision-making process is going to be fairly unique to each company and I can tell you that from my experience it really is vastly different between different companies though my previous IT and development based experience was outside of companies that created audio plugins.

• Like 1