Soft Synth Muting

Craig Pavone

5 hours ago, Craig Pavone said:

When I solo a soft synth in track view, the same synth is soloed in the synth rack, but if I mute the same soft synth in track view it is not muted in the synth rack.  Any info on this would be appreciated.

Just tried it here.  Both muting and soloing in the Track View, performed the correct respective change in the Synth Rack.

I tried it with Rapture Pro, AAS Ultra Analog VA-3 and Glitchmachines Palindrome

I am using Cakewalk by Bandlab 2019.9 Build 70

I don 't know the answer (can the behavior be changed/fixed), but this caught my eye and seems to be an easy thing to test and to expand the way I use Cakewalk.

Testing with TTS-1 in Synth Rack (and Synth Rack showing) 2019.09 (build 70):

Solo button in track solos/unsolos TTS1; button in Synth Rack changes, too. and vice versa.

Mute button in track mutes TTS1; button in Synth Rack does not show muted status.  Wait a second!!!!!  I did something and now the Synth Rack Mute button does indeed follow the change in mute status from the track!!! (And vice versa.)

What did I do to get it to work????

I muted from the track, then  I muted it manually in the Synth Rack.

After that mute button on track and synth rack worked as expected.

I will stop tune and try again.  AHA!!!!

In my limited test, I confirmed the problem.  And found a partial quick fix solution that worked for me--mute in Track then mute in Synth Rack; then mute/unmute from track.  Unmuting from Synth Rack at that point breaks the quick fix until it is fixed again.

Give it a try.  Maybe there's a better fix than this quick test.

Hope it helps in the short term.

Addendum: Anomaly/quick fix seems fairly consistent, but one time when testing I had to press the mute button on the Synth Rack twice in a row before it unmuted. 

Edited by User 905133
to add addendum

I'm pretty sure this is all working as intended.

When soloing a  track, everything contibuting to its output needs to be soloed also, or you'll lose the sound so the Synth and any MIDI tracks feeding it will also get soloed. That's not the case with Muting. Muting anywhere in the chain silences the ouput.  When you mute the synth in the rack, it mutes any tracks that depend on it so you can see that those tracks aren't going to sound even when the rack isn't visible.

But a synth can be feeding more than one audio track (either via multiple outputs or multiple tracks assigned to the same output) so muting a track should not mute the synth unless it's a MIDI track, and it's the only MIDI track driving the synth. An Instrument track associates a single MIDI track and a single audio track with a synth, so muting an Insturment track will also mute the synth.

• Like 1

Interesting details, David.  I was about to add an addendum to say that a second project where I tested using buttons on a folder track worked flawlessly. Of course, when I went back to the first test condition, the anomaly/fix was still consistent. Maybe the additional details you raised make the difference between the two conditions.

image.png.de2fe522f0cf426a2b4240276e271a73.png 

image.png.cc2f7206531f73ee90b4d02a3c23fb7d.png

Edited by User 905133
to fix typo in "Maybe"