Cakewalk.exe hangs on exit. [solved]

Tom Riggs

Hi. I'm a long time user of Sonar and  recently installed the CWb program on my computer. It seems to be running ok except that when I close the program the Cakewalk.exe programs remains running. So if I try to start the program it will not run again until I end task in the task manager.

I'm running windows 10 and as far as I know all the current updates to both windows and CWb are installed.

Not a show stopper but a bit of an annoyance. Has anyone else been seeing this?

Edited by Tom Riggs
edit the title

I'm certainly not experiencing this, and I'm sure it would have been mentioned before if others were seeing it regularly.

Does this happen when opening up a blank (or no) project?

If so, it may point to an issue with your audio drivers, in which case make sure you've got the latest Windows 10 compatible drivers installed and delete cakewalk's AUD.INI (it'll recreate it when you next start Cakewalk).

If it's only happening occasionally, then it might point to a plugin issue, in which case you'll need to narrow it down. Re-installing the plugin might help. If this doesn't, using the JBridge wrapper can also help.

Do you have any MIDI interfaces or USB connected MIDI controllers?

This can happen if a driver doesn't let go. 

A good while back, this would happen if you had a Korg keyboard or MIDI controller.

I believe the workaround was to turn off the Keyboard/MIDI controller, then close Sonar (CbB).

• Like 1

Midi perhaps but the only midi device is an sl-990 keyboard. Also the last version of SPLAT behaves perfectly still.

I'll keep looking.

edit: I turned off the mid controller and tried again... same result. Cakewalk.exe hangs on exit every time. Even if a project is not opened.

Edited by Tom Riggs
Add information

If you contact support, I'm sure they will be able to help you troubleshoot.

If its happening simply opening and closing the program its likely driver related. As a test try disabling ALL your audio and midi devices in preferences and retest.
If its OK try turning them on one at a time till you find whats causing it.

• Like 1

I posted about this problem (might have been on the old board).  It's not closing the program Noel, it's File>Close to close the current project and so as to open another.  I get the spinning wheel hang and have to close the program using the big red X in upper right hand corner.  To be clear, I can close CbB without a hang but I cannot close the current project while still leaving CcB open.

Only MIDI hooked up is a Mackie Control connected via mio MIDI to USB adapter.  Could that be the culprit?

I'll try your suggestion, and report back,  Thanks!

Edited by John Nelson

I remember I had this issue when I first started using Sonar X3 Studio in 2014.  It resolved when I went to a new computer the following year.  Til then I just had to close using the task manager.

I know this isn't an answer.  Just a observation that may lead to one.

😀JB

3 hours ago, John Nelson said:

I posted about this problem (might have been on the old board).  It's not closing the program Noel, it's File>Close to close the current project and so as to open another.  I get the spinning wheel hang and have to close the program using the big red X in upper right hand corner.  To be clear, I can close CbB without a hang but I cannot close the current project while still leaving CcB open.

Only MIDI hooked up is a Mackie Control connected via mio MIDI to USB adapter.  Could that be the culprit?

I'll try your suggestion, and report back,  Thanks!

Possibly. Try disabling any control surfaces as well.

I think I fixed it.  I had been using the MIDI I/O of the Babyface Pro for my Mackie Control, before I got the mio instead.  But even though i changed the settings in Cakewalk so the Mackie worked fine, I neglected to uncheck the box in Totalmix to tell the Babyface Pro.  Seems the hang is gone now, fingers crossed.

Untitled.png.aa9bd437e941fa15f8cf82db3508a2e5.png

Update... that did not fix the issue.  Here's what I am observing.  If I open a project and then immediately close it it does not present the issue.  It is only after working in the project that something get instantiated that causes the hang on close.  I will let you guys know if I see anything that clues me on why. 

Edited by John Nelson