AUDIO ISSUES USING CAPTAIN MELODY PLUGINS

I have purchased the full line of Captain Plugins by Mixed in Key online. I installed the plugins, but I am having some issues with using the plugins.

Any other users having issues with using Captain Plugins in Cakewalk by BandLab?I really like the programs, but I think they are causing audio issues with some of my other plugins. I would really appreciate any suggestions.

I've been using them for a long while, though I've mostly switch to Cubase.  MIDI plugins like Captain can require you set your ASIO buffer very, very high.  In fact I'd say 2048 is almost required.  If my interface went higher I'd use that.  But that's mainly if you are using the Captain plugins to drive other synths.  If you just use the built in stuff it seems fine mostly. 

The Captain plugins can be kind of buggy though.  I don't think they develop much on Windows.  Sometimes there are issues with the plugins talking to each other.  But it's never been a big problem for me.  If you are more specific about the audio issue your having we might be able to help you.  But try increasing your ASIO buffer to maximum first.

Matthew I have found that even at the highest buffer setting the ASIO drivers cannot handle the processing of many of the STEAM engine plug-ins. I have switched out of ASIO and am now using MME 32 bit along with the 64 Bit engine, and my plugins are now working much better. I was getting a lot of reverb and feedback using ASIO, especially when using any of the Spectrasonics plugins, which I love to use in my compositions. I will reinstall the Captain Plugins and see how they work with MME, however you are right about the "buggy" Captain Windows plugins. I have actually received a few error messages from their software, which I believe is forward back to their programming staff for attention, but I am not sure they are making any fixes.

They have been releasing updates, but it is slow development.  I have Omnisphere and yes it's a bit expensive resourcewise.  But MME is pretty much a dead end for latency reasons, but if it works better for you I'd say use it. 

The problem with MIDI processing plugins (not just the Captain stuff) is how it really delays the data that synths need until much later, it's a giant computation that has to be completed before every other plugin and synth gets to do their work.  That pipeline stall kills performance.  In theory CbB is supposed to get the delay the MIDI generator needs and then delays everything else by that amount.  But there are lots of issues with plugin delay compensation.  It doesn't seem to work well with MIDI generating synths/plugins all the time.  You might want to make sure PDC is enabled, but even with that you may not get the right results.  In general you may get better results doing initial work with only the Captain plugins and then export the MIDI out and use that to directly drive synths.

Most of my Captain plugin problems involve it talking to other Captain plugins.  That inner-plugin communication often seems to break.  I save often when using it.