BandLab Assistent Trouble [SOLVED]

chap_sistine

5 hours ago, Jim Fogle said:

I recycle the pc as part of my uninstall process to make sure no "program fragments" remain in memory.  Since ram is dynamic memory it is flushed when the pc restarts.  Just an extra precaution I take.  I'm glad you didn't need to.

When a program fails it is running in ram and the failure is in ram so I want to make sure the failure does not remain in ram. 

Thanks for this piece of the puzzle. Now that you mention it, before I uninstalled BandLab Assistant, I had tried a few other methods--including killing the "left over" processes using task manager.   I learned to do that because those leftover processes have  caused the BandLab Assistant app to not start in the past and usually killing the processes lets me start it again. I guess we could say I manually flushed it. 🙂  

Edited by User 905133
fixed typo
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I hoped that the new BandLab Assistant 5.1.1 would solve my problem (blank screen). But still no chance to come around that activation s... since the end of October. I had uninstalled both the Assistant and CbB and tried to reinstall BA endless times. But now I have no more ideas! ☹️ 

52 minutes ago, chap_sistine said:

I hoped that the new BandLab Assistant 5.1.1 would solve my problem (blank screen). But still no chance to come around that activation s... since the end of October. I had uninstalled both the Assistant and CbB and tried to reinstall BA endless times. But now I have no more ideas! ☹️ 

You might want to open a support ticket if you did not yet.

• Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 1

54 minutes ago, chap_sistine said:

I suspect that there might be different reasons why BandLab Assistant fails to update and that different solutions might work for different people.  However, I have found that going into Task Manager and killing the leftover processes helped solve it again for me when I had trouble updating to v.5.1.1 last night

Please note: I deliberately left Cakewalk running to make sure that wasn't the problem.  For me, it didn't prevent me from updating BandLab Assistant.

image.png.cafc59caf88e348f697eb0e731164a44.png

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, chap_sistine said:

@chap_sistine where are you getting a blank screen? In BA or CbB?

BTW The new BandLab assistant 3.1.1 has a mechanism to manually refresh activation of CbB without having to reinstall the application or log out and back. See this screenshot. To access that option click the dropdown menu next to the open button.

BA511.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 1

9 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

where are you getting a blank screen? In BA or CbB?

Thanks for your response! I get the blank screen with BA, the first time when it is started during the installation process. When I quit BA with the icon on the task bar and restart it, it is the same just a blank white hole on my screen. So I cannot do anything. I looked in the BA folders under AppData if there is some information or log file, but there is only a log file folder.

Thanks for the tip with the "Refresh Activation" menu item in BA, but as I told you I cannot use BA.

Bandlab Assistant is not alone in being buggy, I have a commerial product

that I researched, purchased and registered using my internet connection

but when logging in to the apps portal, it responds with some

nonsense about 'a problem with your internet connection...please try again'.

I realize there is an international shortage of good coders...but the trend

of companies overcomplicating the basics for the sake of gathering

data/statistics/trends yada yada yada backfires loudly, but the

beancounters are deaf to reality, and demand more and more info to be harvested.

• Like 1

I was frankly surprised to see anything like the "Refresh Activation" selection added to BandLab Assistant.  While Cakewalk by BandLab is part of BandLab and BandLab is part of BandLab Technologies the parts are spaced all across the globe.  While the nucleus of the Cakewalk by BandLab staff is based in Boston, Massachusetts, USA the BandLab social music creation platform and BandLab Technologies ownership is based in Singapore.  Even with e-mail and voice over internet communication across that many time zones and distance must be difficult.

I don't know this for fact but I strongly suspect BandLab Assistant was created and is maintained by the Singapore staff.  I suspect their main focus is support and media creation for the online BandLab platform.  Take a look and you'll discover there is a lot of online activity happening on that side of the world.  Meanwhile, for the most part Cakewalk by BandLab remains predominately a standalone product.

If my thoughts are anywhere close to accurate it likely takes a mandate from upper management followed by strong oversight or a priority setting meeting for a relatively small task like getting something added to BandLab Assistant  to even get placed on the priority "to do" list.

Kudos to Cakewalk by BandLab for getting it done.

I solved the problem.

I tried to fix the problem in a number of ways, but nothing helped. No more responses from support. Yesterday I was searching the internet again to find a solution. I came across a thread (not in this forum) where someone had trouble activating CbB with the Assistant (2018). All the way down this long thread the guy said he had fixed it, but did not know the reason. But one thing he had listed seemed interesting for me: He created a new administrator user to install BA. Although my case was different, I gave it a try. And really with the new administrator user I could use BA without pain! I don't care about the reason, it is most important to me that I could install CbB with new activation.

By the way lately I installed a new version of another free program, Audacity. I downloaded the zip file, extracted the program to my former location, started it and all was fine! I know, that's the old way we installed programs and plugins, but it is so much easier and hassle-free IMHO! Today developers make installing more and more sophisticated!

Chapman

• Jesse Jost changed the title to BandLab Assistent Trouble [SOLVED]
On 11/19/2019 at 12:27 PM, Kurre said:

Is it only me?

Since BA 5.1.1 update the login to this forum is easier with one step less.

if it was about a week ago, i also noticed a change, as i can now now longer login at work, as the bl site is blocked by our firewall, used to be able to log in no problem