BandLab Assistent Trouble [SOLVED]

chap_sistine

Hi,

Some days ago I tried to use CbB on my recording machine, but no luck, it said "Activation required". Yes, I know I have to use the Assistent (what a misleading name!) to reactivate. Because my computer is normally not at the internet (even away from the house) I delayed my actions. Today I decided to solve the problem.

But no way, after hours of frustration I don't get the BandLab Assistent to run properly. It just displays a white empty Window and then nothing more happens. I tried to reinstall the newest version several times, repaired the Microsoft C++ Redistributables as recommended, updated Windows 7, changed/disabled the Windows firewall and the antivirus program, ... Then when I tried to reinstall the newest version of Java I was surprised that the Oracle installer also didn't display any text, just an empty dialog with title and unlabeled buttons. Nevertheless I managed to install Java. But concerning the BandLab Assistent I am at my wits end!! 😟 Maybe anyone else has an idea what is wrong?

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (updated), AMD FX-8300 black (8 cores), 3.3 GHz, 12 GB Kingston ValueRAM, GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 with integrated ATI Radeon HD 3000 graphics,  Intenso SSD 512 GB, Seagate Barracuda 7200.

By the way I am using an ASUS monitor connected with HDMI. Is this a problem?

Edited by chap_sistine
solved

ASUS monitor connected with HDMI should be irrelevant.

Have you tried updating your video drivers. 

The fact that Java had issues indicates a system issue rather than with BA.

(note: Oracle Java is not required for Bandlab assistant.  Maybe you're thinking of JavaScript - which is a different thing)

I have always just downloaded the BA installer directly from here:

https://www.bandlab.com/download/assistant/windows

Of course, when you install BA, make sure the BA process is not currently running by using Task Manager and checking for the presence of "BandLab Assistant.exe" under processes.

• Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 1

11 hours ago, Promidi said:

ASUS monitor connected with HDMI should be irrelevant.

Thanks Promidi, this is good information.

11 hours ago, Promidi said:

Have you tried updating your video drivers. 

Just now I have checked the graphics driver(s) and "unfortunately"😀 all is up-to-date.

So I will play a little bit with the graphics settings. Maybe I find something.

My BandLab Assistant refused to update when I clicked on the update button.  On multiple tries it either ignored the button or closed down when the button was pressed.  Having said that I've had similar issues in the past so I uninstalled the old, downloaded and installed the new.

When I ran the V5.1.10 BandLab Assistant (in Administrator mode) a permissions pop up window appeared with two check boxes.  One checkbox was checked by default while the second was not.  I checked them both.  I don't remember what the permissions were.

Use Windows Control Panel to uninstall BandLab Assistant.  Restart your computer (to flush memory).  Download, install and run BandLab Assistant.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jim Fogle said:

My BandLab Assistant refused to update when I clicked on the update button.  On multiple tries it either ignored the button or closed down when the button was pressed.  Having said that I've had similar issues in the past so I uninstalled the old, downloaded and installed the new.

When I ran the V5.1.10 BandLab Assistant (in Administrator mode) a permissions pop up window appeared with two check boxes.  One checkbox was checked by default while the second was not.  I checked them both.  I don't remember what the permissions were.

Use Windows Control Panel to uninstall BandLab Assistant.  Restart your computer (to flush memory).  Download, install and run BandLab Assistant.

Thanks for posting your misadventures with BLA.  A few hours ago, I kept getting the note saying a new BLA was available and despite several attempts to update it, it did not update.  So I tested the Apps > Cakewalk > Open buttons.  That resulted in a BSOD!!!! So I left it as is.  Maybe tomorrow I will try your suggestion--uninstall BLA, power-cycle PC, reinstall BLA.

10 hours ago, Jim Fogle said:

Same here. Happens every time. Sometimes I get an error message along the lines of "Oops something went wrong" and other times it just closes itself. Can't be bothered to do it again, so it can stay as it is until I'm forced to do something about it.

• Sad 1

I went into demo mode on an old laptop yesterday. BA also needed updating. I disabled my AVG protection , update from app failed , manual instillation from app also failed. One thing I did notice was it was using an Avg secure browser I didn't open to communicate with bandlab. After 4 times I got it by bypassing the app , turning off my firewall and using chrome browser. It showed up a couple times  , but couldn't log in.  I will also uninstall first next time.  Thanks for the info ..  mark

• Like 2

Well, I finally updated to BandLab Assistant v5.10.  Thanks for all the suggestions.  Here's what finally worked for me.

(1) Find where BandLab Assistant is installed; run the uninstaller.

(2) Using Opera (which I hardly ever use, but it seems to be a bit "lighter" than other "full-featured" browsers), I went to BandLab and downloaded and ran the current installer.

(3) When "Windows Defender" protected me (just one of several pieces of protection software/apps I use), I allowed it (as Administrator of my PC).

That seemed to solve the problem for me as it allowed me to OK the new/newest "consent" and now BandLab Assistant seems to work again (without the nag to update/endless fail loop).

I had no need to turn off various other protections (which can sometimes be time consuming). Also, no need to power-cycle the PC!!!!! 🙂

image.png.7e69788c8723d9e1812672c9d2d1fbe6.png

Edited by User 905133
To add " . . . no need to power-cycle the PC . . . ."
  • Like 1

I had opened a support request and received an e-mail. Support proposed to redo the uninstall/fresh install and then set administrator right to BA. So far no success, nothing has changed, just a blank screen.

17 hours ago, Promidi said:

Try updating Cakewalk by Bandlab without it......   

This is possible, if you are using more than one computer or if you copy the Cakewalk installer/updater from a friend. Secondly I could live without an update for some time, but this thing with the 6 months demo mode is nasty! Also, because I have no internet in my recording room, always have to move the pc into the house!

9 hours ago, User 905133 said:

Also, no need to power-cycle the PC!!!!! 🙂

@User 905133There's a good chance the pc does not need to be recycled.

I recycle the pc as part of my uninstall process to make sure no "program fragments" remain in memory.  Since ram is dynamic memory it is flushed when the pc restarts.  Just an extra precaution I take.  I'm glad you didn't need to.

When a program fails it is running in ram and the failure is in ram so I want to make sure the failure does not remain in ram. 

• Like 1

• Jesse Jost changed the title to BandLab Assistent Trouble [SOLVED]