Kontakt 6 won't play

davet

I've got the freebe version of Kontakt 6 installed. I've loaded it as an instrument track, can see the interface and the instrument (guitar) loaded, I have the keyboard visible and

can click the keys and hear the instrument sound. I have MIDI data on the track. But I get no sound from the track, no meter bounce, nothing.  As the project plays I can hit the keyboard and hear the instrument.

Is there something special with NI that I need to do?

TIA....

Make sure that you have the audio routed to your main out.  With an instrument track it is really a midi track connected to an audio track. In the inspector there are tabs at the bottom allow you to see the midi and audio channels. If you can see midi activity when on the midi tab then make sure that the midi track is routed to the Kontakt instrument and that you see Kontakt receiving midi messages from the track.

OK, finally found the problem. Within the instrument GUI  under the Jazz Guitar heading there's a MIDI channel selection. This was set to Port A. I set it to Omni, works now. Such details these German's like to do.  :>)

Thanks for the reply Reginald.

Kontakt.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, davet said:

OK, finally found the problem. Within the instrument GUI  under the Jazz Guitar heading there's a MIDI channel selection. This was set to Port A. I set it to Omni, works now. Such details these German's like to do.  :>)

Thanks for the reply Reginald.

Kontakt.JPG

Exactly. Go in and set the midi to Omni.

WSS

Wow - never have set an instrument in Kontakt to Omni - Kontakt would normally set the midi channel of the 1st loaded instrument to midi channel 1, and I would set the midi track Input to Omni (if you leave it as None it is the same as Omni), and it would work that way.  If any midi track needed to send midi data on some other specific midi channel, I would set that in the midi track's Midi Output Channel, which is located just under the FX Bin of any midi track.

Hey - as long as it works, I suppose.  Congrats on getting sound. :)

Bob Bone

Hey Bob,

This is my first time with Kontakt so I set it up as an Instrument Track just like Superior Drummer, Trilian, etc.  Their MIDI port descriptions are a bit different than

what I've seen before. I'll keep messing around with it.

Thanks for the reply.

On 10/30/2019 at 8:35 PM, davet said:

Hey Bob,

This is my first time with Kontakt so I set it up as an Instrument Track just like Superior Drummer, Trilian, etc.  Their MIDI port descriptions are a bit different than

what I've seen before. I'll keep messing around with it.

Thanks for the reply.

I do not use instrument tracks, and if you use them with Kontakt, to the best of my understanding, you would not be able to take advantage of Kontakt's ability to load multiple instruments - like Piano on midi channel 1, organ on midi channel 2, strings on midi channel 3, etc.. (it is a limitation of Simple Instrument Tracks, not of Kontakt).

If you don't mind using separate audio and midi tracks for Kontakt, rather than a simple instrument track, you can double-click on Kontakt in the Browser Pane, then when the Insert Soft Synth Options dialog box opens, if you check Midi Source, and First Synth Audio Output, and hit OK, CbB will set up a stereo audio track, a midi track, and it will route the audio track to pick up the audio output from Kontakt, and it will route the midi track output to point at the Kontakt instance, so that all you would have to do is load an instrument into Kontakt, and rename the audio and midi tracks, and you would be in business.  Midi data would be captured on the midi track, and audio would be heard through the audio track, but not written until you bounce the midi data to 'print' the audio.  (it would generate the audio when the midi data is played in the project, until you bounce the midi data to the audio track, or freeze the track).

Now, there is more work to do when you want to use multiple instruments in Kontakt, but it works wonderfully well.  There is a nice tutorial on setting up multiple outputs and synths in a Kontakt instance, in the Tutorials forum.  Here is the link to that: Multiple-Kontakt-Outputs-Tutorial

Bob Bone

Edited by Robert Bone
Added some clarity on SIT limitations

I have a problem with Sonuscore the orchestra in Kontakt 6.1.

I can load and record multis ok but when it comes to playing back what I've recorded the arps don't produce sound anymore even though they still seem to be playing on the screen.

I've tried it in other DAW's but Cakewalk is the only one with that problem.

And let's not forget the ridiculously tiny font that cannot be enlarged for NI Kontakt Player.  I feel the urge to curse them every time I open Kontakt Player.  I mean, WTF was the programmer thinking?  Has his head up his...

I already feel my blood pressure rising just thinking of that poor software user interface they force on everybody.   It's absolutely painful to use.  My eyes are not what they used to be and I am forced to move forward in my chair, lean over the desk and into the monitor and use reading glasses like a magnifying glass to try and read labels.  And sometimes I have to stare for a long time attempting to make sense of the tiny print.   Huge time waster.  I really do loathe it.

If I had to do it all over again I would not buy the guitar samples I purchased that require Kontakt Player to use them.

Edited by Toddskins