I just can't figure out how to do the clip/region thing?

yeto

Question

If you look at track 3...I wanted to make a clip 4 measures long but as I was entering the notes in piano roll the software broke the clip into different parts. Also, when I ctrl > L I see how to name the clip but I don't see a save function.

Also, if I copy and paste the clip then the "copied" clip has no audio.

Thank you for any help or suggestions,

yeto

test clip.PNG

Edited by yeto

12 answers to this question

What you want to do is export the clip.

There are several ways to export clips. Drag and drop to a folder in Windows Explorer or a folder in the Media Browser (you may recall I provided a link to the Media browser in your other thread) may be your best options. Both do the same thing - create MIDI clips as files on the hard drive.

As far as naming the clip, this can be done in clip properties in the inspector or once the file is created.

1 minute ago, scook said:

What you want to do is export the clip.

There are several ways to export clips. Drag and drop to a folder in Windows Explorer or a folder in the Media Browser (you may recall I provided a link to the Media browser in your other thread) may be your best options. Both do the same thing - create MIDI clips as files on the hard drive.

As far as naming the clip, this can be done in clip properties in the inspector or once the file is created.

Any ideas as to why the clip broke into parts as I entered notes into piano roll and why if I copy and paste the clip the copied clip has no sound?

Thank you for taking time out of your day to help,
yeto

15 minutes ago, yeto said:

Any ideas as to why the clip broke into parts as I entered notes into piano roll

Cakelab is grouping entered notes into clips in a somehow arbitrary way i.e. if you enter new note in prv that is away from the nearest clips it will create a new clip. If you move the note in pvr closer to other notes afterwards, in track view the clip is moved closer to other clip. It takes a bit time to break it down and then working with clips will get easy.

You can right-click and drag a lasso over the two clips and click 'bounce clips', it's non-destructive.

15 minutes ago, yeto said:

why if I copy and paste the clip the copied clip has no sound

the clips in your graphics are midi clips - if you drag it onto another midi track make sure that track is configured properly (connected to the synth), if you drag it onto an audio track it won't play - you would need to render midi to audio first.

Edited by chris.r

Cakewalk will break up MIDI data entered in the PRV based on the space between notes.

I have no idea where the clip was copied or how the tracks in the project are setup.

There are a variety of video tutorials on basic operations. Most of them are for older Cakewalk products but a lot information still applies.

Some tutorials on an older Cakewalk product targeted for beginners are here

Here are more tutorials feature a product more like current Cakewalk product.

Some users have created their own tutorials and there are quite a few on Youtube.

Cakewalk has quite a learning curve and it may take some time and a little study to get up to speed.

3 minutes ago, chris.r said:

the clips in your graphics are midi clips - if you drag it onto another midi track make sure that track is configured properly (connected to the synth), if you drag it onto an audio track it won't play - you would need to render audio first as per scook's post above.

So even if I keep the copied clip in the same track it will not play without rendering first? Is this correct?

2 minutes ago, yeto said:

So even if I keep the copied clip in the same track it will not play without rendering first? Is this correct?

no, it should play the same... (and I edited my post to correct the last bit)

how do you copy the clip, ctrl+drag?

8 minutes ago, chris.r said:

no, it should play the same... (and I edited my post to correct the last bit)

how do you copy the clip, ctrl+drag?

I right click on the clip > edit > copy > check events in track > ok.......then I right click in same track > edit > paste....I notice the orange color goes away and the notes are white in piano roll. 

31 minutes ago, yeto said:

How would I shorten this clip to 4 measures?

test clip 2.PNG

set snap to grid to 'move to' and something like one beat or one measure, now drag clip's right edge to where you need

leaving snap settings at smart grid should also work

Edited by chris.r

42 minutes ago, yeto said:

I right click on the clip > edit > copy > check events in track > ok.......then I right click in same track > edit > paste...

I cant reproduce any problem other than when you keep now time at the same place you basically copied the clip on top of the original. Move the Now Time to different measure or try ctrl+drag clip to copy.

49 minutes ago, yeto said:

I notice the orange color goes away and the notes are white in piano roll.

Now that sounds like pasting in a different track.

6 hours ago, chris.r said:

try ctrl+drag clip to copy.

Everything is starting to come together. Thank you for taking time to help. With some more study I think this is going to work well for me.

Thank you for your help,
yeto

• Thanks 1