Magix Acid Pro 9

cclarry

5 hours ago, abacab said:

OK, but if you go read the Magix user forum threads about AP v9, you might come away with the impression that the product is very unstable and barely usable in it's current form.

I concur. Wasted $

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, abacab said:

OK, but if you go read the Magix user forum threads about AP v9, you might come away with the impression that the product is very unstable and barely usable in it's current form.

It seems to be the consensus over there that the perfect solution would be a v7 in 64-bit. :D

ACID Pro 9 basically is AP7 in 64-Bit.  They didn't really do much.  Add a MIDI playable chopper and some Vita 2 Solo Instruments, along with some MAGIX Plugins.  Much of those upgrades were basic evolutionary changes, and bug fixes.  ACID Pro basically did nothing but that, frankly.

The issues people are running into with ACID Pro 8 (and 9) stem largely from plugins, especially older 32-Bit plugins in the 64-Bit DAW.  A lot of people over there have quite old plugins, and they only backed up their projects in ACID Pro (6/7) project format - so they can't do anything with those when the plugins fail to load or function properly.

The new Betas have a new VST Scanner in them, which fix most of those issues.  It also fixed some issues users had with ReWire (probably the most pressing issue, given how many people use ACID Pro) in ACID Pro 9 (not 8).

There are people  over there complaining that their old Sonitus FX 32-Bit VST Plugins don't work in the latest ACID Pro, Lol.

I think once they get over the "Legacy Hump" (since so many people were using an 8-9 year old piece of software, they avoided those growing pains until MAGIX did the 64-Bit update), it will be fine.

People buying ACID Pro without a "Legacy" behind them, and using up-to-date plugins are pretty much fine.

I've only run into a couple of VST Scanner issues, which are fixed by the latest Beta builds they made available.

Most of the time, forums exaggerate issues. People with issues are more likely to post on them, in comparison to those who are just normally using the application.  Those aren't especially active forums (I've been there since before ACID Pro was released... cause VEGAS and Sound Forge, among other things).

Edited by Some Guy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bapu said:

Can I get a free downgrade?

ACID Pro 7 (and then 😎 was given away on Humble Bundle at least twice in the past year.

And no, you can't get a free downgrade, nor is it better than 8 or 9.  It's only 32-Bit, only works with 32-Bit plugins, doesn't support VST3, ARA2, can't Decode (without QT7) or Encode (at all) AAC., has mediocre time-stretching algorithms, and has subpar metering.

It also has a lot of bugs that will never be addressed, but were fixed in the later versions. 

ReWire with ACID Pro 7 will only work with 32-Bit DAWs (i.e. not SONAR/Cakewalk, but DAWs like REAPER and Samplitude do still develop 32-Bit Executables/Ports) - and that makes it practically unusable unless you're only going to use ACID Pro 7.

Edited by Some Guy

Never had or used Acid before. Back in the day I never thought I would use loops.

Fast forward to today and I see how useful loops can be. 

So after following this thread since it started, I decided I would make the jump and try it out.

• Like 1

What ! no OGG file support  ?  Acid Pro 9 don't even  seem to read them nor recognize them ...

there seems to be no way to audition them using preview in the file explorer .

Once inserted in a project to hear and see if they work , all I get is a flat-line graphic where it should show a wave form and    a noise   when I hit play

As far as I can tell so  far there  is no  way to insert the OGG files into an Acid Pro 9 project and have Acid Pro 9  play them

Nice one Magix

Kenny

Edited by kennywtelejazz

38 minutes ago, kennywtelejazz said:

What ! no OGG file support  ?  Acid Pro 9 don't even  seem to read them nor recognize them ...

there seems to be no way to audition them using preview in the file explorer .

Once inserted in a project to hear and see if they work , all I get is a flat-line graphic where it should show a wave form and    a noise   when I hit play

As far as I can tell so  far there  is no  way to insert the OGG files into an Acid Pro 9 project and have Acid Pro 9  play them

Nice one Magix

Kenny

https://www.magix.com/us/music/acid/acid-pro/specifications/

Well it's suppose too.  Pretty odd.

4 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

I was going to cancel my order but the serials showed up Tuesday.  I still like this app. 

I didn't get my serial # till Tuesday also. It will be a few days before I can get into it. 

Have never used this program so I will approach it with open mind.

26 minutes ago, Grem said:

I didn't get my serial # till Tuesday also. It will be a few days before I can get into it. 

Have never used this program so I will approach it with open mind.

It's nice the help files come in .chm instead of PDF.  If you have a Groove3 pass there is tutorials.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

https://www.magix.com/us/music/acid/acid-pro/specifications/

Well it's suppose too.  Pretty odd.

OK when you are up and running w Acid Pro 9  please see if you can have Acid Pro read some of the Mixcraft OGG files ...

Over here they do not work ...

In Acid Pro  9 they seem to be listed as MPEG Layer 3 files ( as shown in the explorer )

ext9m6g.jpg

edit

Here's a screen shot of my Magix Soundpool  18   as seen in my explorer view within Acid Pro 9

jbxH340.jpg

OK ...sheesh , even  the very OGG Sound pools that Magix's sell  don't work in Magix Acid Pro 9 Version 9.0.3. (Build 26 ) 64- bit

As I mentioned before in an earlier post these OGG's  can be seen in the explorer view. Yet they will not play anything other than a bust of noise when I try to audition them VIA the explorer view . When I insert them into a Acid Pro 9 project they will only play a short burst of noise and the graphic will not show a waveform ....

Thank You Magix  

Kenny

Edited by kennywtelejazz

On 11/4/2019 at 6:25 AM, Grem said:

Never had or used Acid before. Back in the day I never thought I would use loops.

Fast forward to today and I see how useful loops can be. 

So after following this thread since it started, I decided I would make the jump and try it out.

Acid Pro is a great program ...I go back 15 years w it .  I have almost every version of Acid Pro Studio and all the current Pro level versions ...4, 6 , 7, 8 , 9

Don't get me wrong as much as I'm complaining about an issue I'm having w this new version  of Acid Pro  ....I do like the program very much ...

Good Luck w yours once you get it up and running .

Kenny

• Like 1

The version I bought was 99.00. The most recent. I kept getting these emails. They kept tempting me and I finally bought it. Had ACID for years. Didn't use it during the whole Sony thing. I missed what it could do. Used loops in Cakewalk. More cumbersome yet doable. TBH I am not a regular loops user but it can be fun and a quick way to build up a backing track.

Loaded it on another computer besides the one I had the old copy of ACID on. I'm not sure what the 20.00 version is. If it gets you into the basic loop world I guess that will get you acclimated to the basic. The version I have is pretty smack. No crashes yet. Made some guitar tracks and loaded em' up in it. Now I can put the guitar away and mix.

I don't use rewire. Makes no sense for what I do. Why run two DAWS?  I simply export the tracks and import them into Cakewalk. Even if you don't use the tracks it's a great way to find a groove, have a frame work to build from. I have Ableton too and it is so much more complicated to do the same things. Set the resolutions correctly in Cakewalk and you can do a similar thing but less intuitive IMHO. The loops bump right up against one another and line up perfectly. 

The sale I bought had a few free libraries thrown in. They give you a choice on the loop quality you want to download. 16/44.1 is good for me. I like playing in the DAW.....I'm a seasoned musician who plays multiple instruments. Loops? So what?

• Like 1

The $19.99 version was the exact same as the $99 version.  MAGIX runs these super deals all the time, but they're never on their own website, for some strange reason - always through an affiliate.

I agree it's far better to work with Loops in ACID Pro than Cakewalk, where this functionality feels somewhat clunkily bolted on.

On 11/7/2019 at 5:00 PM, kennywtelejazz said:

OK when you are up and running w Acid Pro 9  please see if you can have Acid Pro read some of the Mixcraft OGG files ...

Over here they do not work ...

In Acid Pro  9 they seem to be listed as MPEG Layer 3 files ( as shown in the explorer )

ext9m6g.jpg

edit

Here's a screen shot of my Magix Soundpool  18   as seen in my explorer view within Acid Pro 9

jbxH340.jpg

OK ...sheesh , even  the very OGG Sound pools that Magix's sell  don't work in Magix Acid Pro 9 Version 9.0.3. (Build 26 ) 64- bit

As I mentioned before in an earlier post these OGG's  can be seen in the explorer view. Yet they will not play anything other than a bust of noise when I try to audition them VIA the explorer view . When I insert them into a Acid Pro 9 project they will only play a short burst of noise and the graphic will not show a waveform ....

Thank You Magix  

Kenny

Put in a support request with MAGIX, and send them a sample file (from their own Soundpools - cause EULAs, etc.).  It's likely that almost no one using this DAW is using it with Ogg Vorbis Loop Files, so the testing in this area is probably not as comprehensive (they are fixing some MP3 bugs in the latest Betas, though).  Almost everyone has upgraded these to WAV, already.

All of MAGIX's Soundpools were made available as WAV files about a year ago.  The site allows you to choose which version to have.  Using Ogg Vorbis is like using the Economy/Lite Patches in a Sampler.

Also, you seem to be using Windows 7, and ACID Pro may (I'm not sure of this) use the built-in Windows Decoder for Ogg Vorbis, while Other DAWs may use an internal Decoder.  Check that 😉

Windows 7 doesn't bundle Ogg Vorbis Decoders, only Windows 10 does.

Windows 10 supports, out of the box, a lot of CODECs that Windows 7 does not, and some applications will use the Windows Decoders/Encoders the same way macOS applications use Apple's.  Upgrading is becoming more and more of a no-brainer, as developers shift focus away from these legacy platforms.

Lastly, I'd go to the ACID Pro forums and install the latest beta version, which may fix issues around this area.  I think this has been referenced a couple of times in this thread...

Edited by Some Guy

Running Win 10 here. You are probably correct on the OGG files. I don't use them. Kenny is the only one I know who uses them. Also have Mixcraft..would be way cool to use those loops in ACID.  Haven't tried to do that yet.

Wish I had known about the 20.00 deal. You sure it has everything the website version has? All the loops libraries?? Same version? Almost sounds like some kind of a pirate job. Well worth the 99 clams....and a steal at 20 if this is legit.

On 11/11/2019 at 12:08 PM, Starise said:

Used loops in Cakewalk. More cumbersome yet doable. TBH I am not a regular loops user but it can be fun and a quick way to build up a backing track.

@Starise I agree with you on this. Using loops in CW just isn't as easy as I thought it would be. I played around with BandLabs Android app and was really surprised at the ease of use. I mean for a phone I got some really decent results!!

That got me wondering when I was following this thread: If Acid makes using loops as easy as the Bandlab app did, I think I could get into this. 

On 11/8/2019 at 12:10 AM, kennywtelejazz said:

Acid Pro is a great program ...I go back 15 years w it . 

Good Luck w yours once you get it up and running .

Kenny

Thanks Kenny. Right in the middle of a new PC build. So I haven't d/l and installed it yet.

• Like 1

Hey  Some Guy and Starise ,

thank you both for attempting to help me out .

OK here's where we stand now  . I sent in a ticket yesterday w Magix and to my surprise they got back to me in less than an hour  .

( must be the hours I keep or I just get lucky   ) 

I was advised to download the beta Acid Pro Version 9.0.3. ( Build 29 ) 64-bit . Having done so and going through the install all seems to be working out for the best now .

I'm no longer getting the VST scan drop out, the program seems a little snappier and now I can play OGG files ...

Speaking of the OGG files most of those I got came with a program called Mixcrat Pro . That was a program I had picked up when SONAR was no more before BandLab took over and  brought us all Cakewalk  as a sonic gift ...

A couple of things OGG files  do play nice in Acid Pro , ( this I know because my 3 Windows 10 64 bit computers have either Acid Pro 7 or Acid Pro 8 installed on them )

They are certainly good enough for a starting point when hit w a blank project .

A personal favorite  activity  is I like to sit down during a practice session and learn how to play many of the loops I have note for note on my guitar

I'm an equal opportunity lick Crook ...not only do I like to nab licks from the various OGG files I have .

I love to nab licks from my Logic converted over from CAF to 24 bit Wave and every other loop library I have collected over the years 😎Oh Yeah ....

As far as Why Windows 7 ?  It was up until recently my only Win computer that didn't have Acid Pro installed . For a deal like this $20 bucks you better believe  I'm gonna salivate  at the dangling hook and JUMP ...

Hey Starise ! I was also shocked  at first wanting to know if the deal is or was legit ...it is legit man .

Not only did Magix help me out with my Acid Pro 9 temporary  set up woes , Acid Pro 9  is listed  along with every purchase I have ever done w Magix in my Magix account ...

all the best,

Kenny

Edited by kennywtelejazz
  • Like 2

Glad to hear that you got it sorted Kenny. 

I have finally got around to installing this and it installed OK and scanned all of my plugins without any dramas apart from one WaveShell vst.

Only issue is there are no loops. The installation program didn't offer to install any and l don't see any in my account. I thought it came with 9Gb of them? If so does anyone know how to get them? Thanks

54 minutes ago, ZincT said:

Glad to hear that you got it sorted Kenny. 

I have finally got around to installing this and it installed OK and scanned all of my plugins without any dramas apart from one WaveShell vst.

Only issue is there are no loops. The installation program didn't offer to install any and l don't see any in my account. I thought it came with 9Gb of them? If so does anyone know how to get them? Thanks

Yes ZincT ,

I'm happy it is sorted out , this program is a lot deeper than what people give it credit for ...

here see if this helps

Under Help click on the highlighted section ....

xx1YZA3.jpg

once you do that this box will come up and you can pick and choose what you want Acid to install ..

5PRQgYM.jpg

Once you get the loops installed good luck finding them 🤣 I'm not kidding ....

Magix installed the loops on my computer on C Drive_ Users_ Public _Public Documents _Magix _Common _Loop  Collection s _ and then you have your individual loop folders ...

I didn't bother to move the loops location .  I'm OK w it there for now ...if you find the loops  like I eventually did , my suggestion is to mark those folders as favorites within Acid Pro . Once you do that they become easy to find  within Acid Pro ...or you can always just move them to someplace you prefer ..

all the best,

Kenny 

Edited by kennywtelejazz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1