Magix Acid Pro 9

cclarry

16 hours ago, backwoods said:

i bought it- it has problems scanning lots of  my plugins and  crashes with quite a few that pass the scan succesfully . cpu usage is crap. Bach would not be satisfied with this DAW! 🤣

Acid forums has a fixed beta build with an updated VST scanner

Bach would probably check there, before passing a final judgement.

Edited by Some Guy

2 hours ago, antler said:

If someone wants to use loops, that's fine and I have absolutely no problem with either them or their music: if it sounds good, it's good music regardless of how they made it.

That said, it's not entirely the case that MIDI loops with a decent VI are the same as audio loops. Audio loops will always sound exactly the same, even if perfectly time/pitch shifted. With MIDI loops, you could tweak the output: maybe you'd like one iteration p while another f, or you might want to crescendo a build-up. You could automate a volume/LPF envelope on an audio loop, but with some VIs you might get different instrument timbres at different velocities that go beyond volume and EQ differences. A VI might also have round-robin samples that make different loop iterations sound ever so slightly different, or you might also have different reverb options depending on how dry the audio loops are. These are all very subtle differences that may or may not get picked up by the end listener, but the differences are still there.

But as I previously mentioned, if it sounds good, the producer did a great job and it's good music regardless of the tools/sound sources used in production.

Most cheap samples sound like Synthesizers, so it doesn't matter if you can change the dynamics or articulation.  The instruments sound fake, while the audio loops actually sound realistic.  That was my point.  If you don't have good Sample Libraries, then the MIDI loops may end up sounding worse than Audio Loops - regardless of what editing wizardry you employ.  I'm not even sure what you think you read in my post...

I never said that MIDI Loops with a decent VI were the same (literally) as Audio Loops.  I said using either one was basically the same as using the other, which is true.   However, people tend to stigmatize people who use Audio Loops, far more, around these parts - simply because they're pre-recorded instruments and "newer tech."

Quoting myself, with emphasis...

Using Audio Loops is no different than using MIDI Loops with a decent Sample Library.  Just a more "budget" way of doing it.  In fact, if you don't have decent sample libraries, your loops (or score-written music, using the same reproduceable patterns) may end up sounding even WORSE than the Audio Loops you can buy on the internet.

This is very different from what you seem to be responding to.

Edited by Some Guy

1 hour ago, Some Guy said:

This is very different from what you seem to be responding to.

I wasn't taking aim at anyone; just stating differences between audio and MIDI loops. As I said, I have no problem with either loops, or anyone who uses them. While there are a few posts that are derogatory towards loop based music in this thread, I can also see there are a few people who have decided to upgrade to the latest version of Acid Pro. Good music is good music, regardless of how it's made. Peace out.

19 hours ago, Magic Russ said:

Unfortunately this comes up any time someone uses the word loop.

Calling somebody else fat won't make you any skinnier. Calling someone stupid doesn't make you any smarter.  And dissing people for using samples doesn't make you a better musician.

I laugh at that in Live's forum.  That's basically what their software is all about.

Years ago someone mentioned they like Acid for mixing because of the GUI.

People forget there's many people out there that picks something up for their own personal pleasure instead of "you'll never be a producer using Acid".   There are hobbyist that can play the shit out of a Squire or Epiphone.   I still am amazed the music cranked out using FL Studio, 3xOsc, and stock plugins.  Modern Reason users never heard stuff cranked out on Reason 4.   I admire those who don't have the arrogance and the gear insecurity.

• Like 1

I really don't have the HDD room for this install now, but for $20 it wouldn't hurt to have it available for playing around with at some point!

I have an old 32-bit version that has been around for years, and I haven't opened it recently.

But for quickly setting up some rhythmic patterns to jam around with, this could be handy! :D

As long as there have been people inventing newer methods of creating music, there have been  grumps to grouse about them, often with some claim that the newer method mostly exists in order for the people using them to attempt to attract ***** partners.

Those who look down upon looping and digital sampling as methods of song creation might be amused to know that Steely Dan used a tape loop for rhythm tracks as early as Countdown to Ecstasy in 1973 and their engineer purpose-built a 12-bit digital audio sampler to use for drum tracks on Gaucho in 1980.

As for stealing other people's work, one need look no further than Led Zeppelin's long history of plunder-for-profit, but since Jim and Bob took the trouble to work the chords out on guitar before becoming millionaires rejiggering other people's songs, maybe they get a pass?

I've argued with people who claimed that Frank Sinatra wasn't really a talented musician because all he did was sing other people's songs. Maybe some would make a similar claim about Sir George Martin (although he did do a bit of composing) as a producer. Hey whatever.

I think Fatboy Slim's "Rockafeller Skank" and "Praise You" were freakin' brilliant pop songs that I would LOVE to have had anything to do with creating. Who cares whether they were all made from samples or what? Same with Orb's "Little Fluffy Clouds."

"My Kid Could Paint That!"

18 hours ago, backwoods said:

bach probably would have checked in and seen all the complaints that wopuld have reaffirmed his original opinion "what a hunk of junk" . so dumb

Only complaint is Vita not installing correctly from the content downloader. The samples install, but the DLLs don't. This is half ignorable, since most people updating will have already installed using the current release content installer, which works properly.

I don't understand what you're talking about. 

All of the VST scanner issues that others are getting on the current non-beta builds are fixed in the beta builds. The ReWire issues are also fixed in those Beta Builds. 

They also backported those fixes to ACID Pro 8.0, unexpectedly. 

There really aren't any complaints in that thread, and as far as other threads are concerned, they're largely repetitive (no one likes to reply to a thread, they all want their own personal thread).

That's ignoring the fact that the point of the post you replied to went COMPLETELY over your head, apparently. 

Honestly the Loop Arranging workflow in Cakewalk is pretty shite, which is why many people still use Acid as a ReWire slave to other DAWs in a similar situation. 

It would be nice if Project 5 existed and was as good, but it doesn't and isn't.  Acid is the only thing that exists and is that good within that pricing bracket. 

Do us all a favor and submit ideas to improve CbB and make it better, instead of going out of your way to tear down the competition. There is already too much of that going on here. 

Edited by Some Guy

Acid 7 was hopeless after a decade of neglect and magix have taken it and over a couple of years and updates made it worse lol. The forum is full of disheartened users ( and now ex users) eg https://www.magix.info/us/forum/thoughts-from-a-once-loyal-customer--1231297/ .  I think they'll let it wither on the vine cos it has nothing going for it apart from appealing to nostalgic people. 

I've posted plenty of ideas over the years and one has actually been used- the collapse all pro channel modules with modifier key + click. 

totally weird for that a guy like you who tries to run down cakewalk all the time by comparing it to  a shite competitor gets offended when that program is looked into and critiqued by a long time user (used acid since v4)

I can agree with you that it would be nice if  Project 5 still existed though 😂

14 hours ago, abacab said:

I really don't have the HDD room for this install now, but for $20 it wouldn't hurt to have it available for playing around with at some point!

I have an old 32-bit version that has been around for years, and I haven't opened it recently.

But for quickly setting up some rhythmic patterns to jam around with, this could be handy! :D

Just avoid the loops and the Vita instruements - those sample can't be relocated.

23 minutes ago, abacab said:

I just had another thought about Acid Pro 9... ;)

Maybe just buy it for the loop library, and  use Cakewalk to arrange the loops?

Why bother. Their loops are not so great.  Wait till next month when you can get a bundle from ADSR for that price and they come with midi and presets.

On 10/30/2019 at 6:32 AM, Mesh said:

Fixed!

Seriously though, I think the kids these days can figure out things very easily/quickly (if they put their minds to it) and I figure throwing them straight into CbB might be the best thing. Deep down, I'm hoping they'll learn CbB and then teach me how to use it. 

Getting Acid 9 was just being a little GASeous.   

Most kids do this stuff on their phones.  Most of them wouldn't know how to turn on a desktop.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

I've argued with people who claimed that Frank Sinatra wasn't really a talented musician because all he did was sing other people's songs. Maybe some would make a similar claim about Sir George Martin (although he did do a bit of composing) as a producer. Hey whatever.

That annoys me to no end.  The human voice is as much an instrument as anything else.  On the other hand people seem to give too much credit to many of today's pop stars whose songwriting credits are mostly contractual.

I don't know anyone who made such claims about George Martin as a producer, but anyone who has bought an album from their favorite "up and coming" band in college knows the value of production.  And as a composer, well let's just say that it seems like a lot of science fiction and fantasy soundtracks owe a small debt to "March of the Meanies".

15 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

I think Fatboy Slim's "Rockafeller Skank" and "Praise You" were freakin' brilliant pop songs that I would LOVE to have had anything to do with creating. Who cares whether they were all made from samples or what? Same with Orb's "Little Fluffy Clouds."

I don't like either of the Fatboy Slim sounds, and I don't think I would like them any more if someone reproduced them with live instruments.  I'd take "Weapon of Choice" though.

• Like 1

My point was more that I've seen many ways people try to invalidate others' music, whether it be due to their target audience (jam bands and pop divas get hit with this), production methodology (use of pitch correction, etc.), lack of knowledge of music theory (none of the Beatles could read or write a note), use of found material (despite this being a long established technique in fine art) and on and on and on.

As far as I know, nobody in Three Dog Night ever wrote a note or a lyric of their massive number of hits, nor ever moved a microphone or a fader. Most of their career consisted of doing other people's material. Does this make them not one of the all time great pop acts? I don't think so.

Maybe the $20 copy of Acid Pro is like the $99 Squier Strat. Something you can have a lot of fun with for very little money, and that's great.

Not everyone acquires a DAW with the goal of "going pro." I don't delude myself that my efforts here in my dining room are somehow going to result in money rolling in or even anything other than my friends' polite compliments. If I get something together enough to be played on the local college station's demo show, I'll be very happy.

On 11/2/2019 at 2:31 PM, abacab said:

I just had another thought about Acid Pro 9... ;)

Maybe just buy it for the loop library, and  use Cakewalk to arrange the loops?

Cakewalk sucks for arranging the loops.  You'd use ACID Pro to arrange the loops, and then ReWire the audio into Cakewalk.

I think this was covered upthread.  I've tried doing this, and it was neither fun nor productive.  If all you wanted were loops, you should have gotten the Humble Bundle, which came with both AP8 and AMS10.  That was double the loops, and AMS includes a lot more loops from other genres (like Classical) compared to AP (which is mostly EDM/Hip Hop/Trap stuff).

And while these are great topics for feature suggestions, I did read the old Cakewalk Feature Suggestion forum and 90% of the stuff I and others have thought of/mentioned here was bought up 3-5 years ago.  That stuff isn't coming anytime soon, so you have to use the other tools available to get the job done.

Again, I view ACID Pro as more of a tool than a complete solution in and of itself.  Like Melodyne, or Transfuser, etc.

I don't think many people use it as a primary DAW.  It's often used as a ReWire device, though.  Hell, even some of the instruments they bundle with it are pretty decent (they use the same sounds as Independence Pro, IIRC).

Edited by Some Guy

4 hours ago, Some Guy said:

Cakewalk sucks for arranging the loops.  You'd use ACID Pro to arrange the loops, and then ReWire the audio into Cakewalk.

I think this was covered upthread.  I've tried doing this, and it was neither fun nor productive.  If all you wanted were loops, you should have gotten the Humble Bundle, which came with both AP8 and AMS10.  That was double the loops, and AMS includes a lot more loops from other genres (like Classical) compared to AP (which is mostly EDM/Hip Hop/Trap stuff).

And while these are great topics for feature suggestions, I did read the old Cakewalk Feature Suggestion forum and 90% of the stuff I and others have thought of/mentioned here was bought up 3-5 years ago.  That stuff isn't coming anytime soon, so you have to use the other tools available to get the job done.

Again, I view ACID Pro as more of a tool than a complete solution in and of itself.  Like Melodyne, or Transfuser, etc.

I don't think many people use it as a primary DAW.  It's often used as a ReWire device, though.  Hell, even some of the instruments they bundle with it are pretty decent (they use the same sounds as Independence Pro, IIRC).

OK, but if you go read the Magix user forum threads about AP v9, you might come away with the impression that the product is very unstable and barely usable in it's current form.

It seems to be the consensus over there that the perfect solution would be a v7 in 64-bit. :D