Magix Acid Pro 9

cclarry

This is really too good to be true. I assumed it was an error but, I just confirmed that they are selling the new purchase full version of Acid Pro 9 for $19.99.

Magix is index pricing this a $129 new purchase $99 upgrade on their site, and I would doubt it would cost B&H this little.

Maybe not worth it as an upgrade if you already own 8, but quite a bargain if you do not.

8 minutes ago, slartabartfast said:

This is really too good to be true. I assumed it was an error but, I just confirmed that they are selling the new purchase full version of Acid Pro 9 for $19.99.

Magix is index pricing this a $129 new purchase $99 upgrade on their site, and I would doubt it would cost B&H this little.

Maybe not worth it as an upgrade if you already own 8, but quite a bargain if you do not.

It's STILL a bargain when you consider that, even if you own 8, you can by this for $20
and sell 8 For $20 and your upgrade is FREE!

6 hours ago, chris.r said:

What is it good for?

Absolutely Nothing,  Say it again... WAR

If you've never used a DAW, then it would be nice for a beginner.  However, after using any of the reputable DAWS on the Market, you'll stop using it right away.  Also, the GUI just looks so awful. 🤡

Edited by jesse g
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

If you are the type of person who likes to make a track from samples that have been chopped up, rearranged, and the fragments repitched so that the track bears no resemblance to the original sample, then Acid is a tool you should consider.   It's not a great choice for an everyday DAW, though.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, chris.r said:

What is it good for?

Your skepticism is warranted. On the other hand, for a young person who has never bothered to learn to play an instrument by ear, let alone master even the basics of music as an art or study, it is a magical machine that can be used to convince such a person that he is a composer. Having spent seven decades listening to various iterations of popular music, I am increasingly convinced that much of what we are hearing these days is probably being composed on such machines--or using  the features of those machines that have been adopted into "serious" DAW's like Cakewalk.  For significant linear composing or mixing it is not a serious contender but at $20.00 it would be a suitable stocking-stuffer for the young person in your life who has had to come to grips with the fact that being a guitar hero takes years of effort and is showing itself to be a much less effective strategy for at getting anyone laid, as it is increasingly being replaced by DJ'ing, or joining a crew of a dozen guys  roaming around a stage empty-handed to a recorded soundtrack. Undoubtedly it will not improve his ***** [can we say copulation?] life to be able to upload his repetitive if not inane work product to YouTube as an accompaniment to films of himself wearing a massively overpriced pair of Beats by Dre and smoking an unidentified substance, but so long as the cans have closed backs what can be the harm? 

Edited by slartabartfast
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

I heard you can get chicks with Acid :P....

This was my first introduction to the DAW world (back in the late 80's) and remember it being the coolest thing to do (mangle loops) while calling it your own. Just installed Cakewalk on the family PC, but wondering if I should introduce them to this software (or not).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think that would depend on "what" they are doing.  Cakewalk, as all Major DAW's,
is a fairly "in depth" DAW, that requires some learning,  Acid is a little less "involved",
so might be a good place to start...but, again, depends on the "intent", and the capabilities,
of those involved...one good thing about them using CbB is that they have you to "lean on"
when they get stuck...

11 minutes ago, cclarry said:

....one good thing about them using CbB is that they have you to "lean on"
so, I wish them luck...

Fixed!

Seriously though, I think the kids these days can figure out things very easily/quickly (if they put their minds to it) and I figure throwing them straight into CbB might be the best thing. Deep down, I'm hoping they'll learn CbB and then teach me how to use it. 

Getting Acid 9 was just being a little GASeous.   

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Tiger The Frog said:

I'm trying to decide whether to buy this, which I don't think will add a lot to the Acid 8 that I never use--or buy Embertone's bassoon for another ten bucks. 

I don't need that either, as I have many bassoons, but I might get more fun out of it. 

Decisions....

The big things are ARA2 support and full 64 bit...and still a Bridge for 32 bit plugins...and other improvements.