Waves Version 11 released!

cclarry

Before 10, WUP was a waste of time except for a few very narrow cases.  Namely you wanted to sell a Waves plugin you owned or they added something to a Waves bundle you owned and you felt the WUP cost was worth it for what was added.

The reason WUP was worthless in the V9 era was V9 lasted a long, long time.  And you could get all the updates to V9 plugins even without WUP.

But once V10 shipped, the upgrade train stopped.  Your V9 plugins wouldn't be updated anymore.

And V9 and V10 didn't co-exist very well.  So I moved to V10 using a combination of WUP and upgrades (where you buy an upgrade to a bundle/plugin that gets you a new bundle/plugin and also WUPs everything).  I had believed V10 would have a similar life span as V9, several years.

If your reading this thread you know It didn't.

I should have just stuck with V10 at least until there was a WUP sale, but I decided I didn't want to mess with it so I WUPed everything and jumped to V11.  Windows users don't really get anything out of this at all.  New GUI on the Renaissance plugins and a plugin I already owned added to Mercury.  I just didn't want to deal with the version mixing headache but honestly this wasn't a good deal.  Should have stuck with V10.  I did get a voucher for what I spent on the WUP but I'm not sure I'll be able to use it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

re: missing presets (as my v11 didn't download them either)

I think these are the ones ?

https://www.waves.com/downloads/free-plugin-presets

assume these work fine in v10 too - and dated 2016 ?

(edit)

looks like those are older ones, although most of those are in the pdf from earlier in this thread..........this page: 

https://www.waves.com/downloads/release-notes

says "Added: Over 700 presets by leading producers & engineers added to the Renaissance plugins" - these are missing in that download.  So the "1400 claim is wrong" it's actually just 700 in the renaissance plugins that are new.

(edit 2!)

so the "missing 700" from the renaissance plugins ARE installed - I suspect a few of us are just missing the ones from the download eg these contain the trueverb presets that were mentioned as missing

TLDR - all good just download those presets linked :)

Edited by simon
  • Like 1

Yes those are the old presets and I remember trying to add them manually before.

I linked to a PDF of the 1400 new presets in my previous post.

If you look at the name of the PDF in my link it is  "V11-presets-automatically-added-to-plugins.pdf" which implies that they should have been added automatically.
As soon as Waves get back to me I will raise it with them.

sorry I don't think I was clear :)

the presets you say you are missing (confirmed by Matthew) :

⁃ TrueVerb Andrew Thornton Collection.xps
⁃ TrueVerb Dave Darlington Collection.xps
⁃ TrueVerb Leon Rothenberg Distant On Ocean.xps
⁃ TrueVerb Stanley Soares Live Vocal Plate.xps

etc 

are ALL in that preset file I linked to - the EXTRA ones are only  renaissance plugins - these ARE installed in v11

so the PDF you linked are a combination of the preset download PLUS the new ones that are in V11 - if you install the ones in the preset file then you have everything in the PDF.  They lied when they said there was 1400 new presets - there release notes just say 700 in the Renaissance plugins only.

I've just spent the last hour pulling them into my waves plugs, it was painful :)

Give it a try and hopefully it will make sense.

1 hour ago, simon said:

sorry I don't think I was clear :)

the presets you say you are missing (confirmed by Matthew) :

⁃ TrueVerb Andrew Thornton Collection.xps
⁃ TrueVerb Dave Darlington Collection.xps
⁃ TrueVerb Leon Rothenberg Distant On Ocean.xps
⁃ TrueVerb Stanley Soares Live Vocal Plate.xps

etc 

are ALL in that preset file I linked to - the EXTRA ones are only  renaissance plugins - these ARE installed in v11

so the PDF you linked are a combination of the preset download PLUS the new ones that are in V11 - if you install the ones in the preset file then you have everything in the PDF.  They lied when they said there was 1400 new presets - there release notes just say 700 in the Renaissance plugins only.

I've just spent the last hour pulling them into my waves plugs, it was painful :)

Give it a try and hopefully it will make sense.

Ah okay I see what you mean.

Yes I noticed that the Renaissance presets were added automatically after the update.

Really bad mis-information on Waves part and of course none of this manual fiddling should be necessary if Waves had done things correctly 🙄

Cheers

8 minutes ago, ZincT said:

Ah okay I see what you mean.

Yes I noticed that the Renaissance presets were added automatically after the update.

Really bad mis-information on Waves part and of course none of this manual fiddling should be necessary if Waves had done things correctly 🙄

Cheers

yes - I don't understand why these download presets weren't rolled into the update 

• Like 1

Waves support did get back to me and have now resolved the minor issue I had getting this popup on scanning...Waves_issue_Oct 2019a.jpg

If any of you get this the solution was simple...

1.    Hold the [windows key] + R and type %programdata% in the pop-up window.
2.    Go to Waves Audio > Modules folder.
3.    Locate and delete the WavesLicenseEngine.bundle file.
4.    Launch Waves Central and install any plugin from the install products page (this will re-create the WavesLicenseEngine.bundle file).

Do a full scan and it should now be fine.

All of my V9, v10 and V11 plugins work fine. 

Edited by ZincT
  • Thanks 4

et al thanks for all the info here!   I'm at V10 with  everything and would pay the full $240 to WUP it all.   I have realized through this that I have an extra version of TrueVerb, PRS Supermodels, and Infected Mushroom currently on sale at WAVES for $39, $79, & 49 respectively.    If anyone is interested in further discounts on these, PM me.

Unless I sell the extra plugs, I'll wait through the holidays.

quick update on the 'missing presets' saga

after a bit of backwards and forwards with waves support (including the 'why not reinstall everything' type responses) - they eventually said

"Turns out the presets are indeed missing from most plugins - thank you for pointing it out for us.

We should release a fix for this in the next few days."

here's hoping - although I'll never get those hours I spent manually importing them back :)

• Thanks 3

It's crazy they have no way to merge in presets so they are added to the menu.  I looked at the files that drive the factory presets and I think it would be possible to merge the presets in, but then when they change/update the factory presets it would all be undone.  They are just XMLish files though.  I think you could build something (Python maybe) to do the merging though you might have to build a mapping from the directory names in the free presets package and the actual plugin names.  Given how Waves like to be the reference standard you'd think they work to make their presets a bit more manageable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, simon said:

quick update on the 'missing presets' saga

after a bit of backwards and forwards with waves support (including the 'why not reinstall everything' type responses) - they eventually said

"Turns out the presets are indeed missing from most plugins - thank you for pointing it out for us.

We should release a fix for this in the next few days."

here's hoping - although I'll never get those hours I spent manually importing them back :)

Thanks for this. I am still in discussion with them about the presets but the last email they sent was trying to get me to install them manually which doesn't move things any further forward so I guess I will just hang on for the update you mention.  

1 hour ago, ZincT said:

Thanks for this. I am still in discussion with them about the presets but the last email they sent was trying to get me to install them manually which doesn't move things any further forward so I guess I will just hang on for the update you mention.  

yep - installing manually is really painful - and doesn't really get you the presets in a usable manner - plus you'll end up having to delete them all if they automatically install them in an update. The user presets are kept in a separate settings file somewhere in your user/appdata so I'm just gonna delete these if they fix it.

I'm not totally convinced they will actually fix it but hey, here's hoping.

• Like 1