Sends, Busses

Mad Musicologist

16 hours ago, Mad Musicologist said:

Well what wil happen if I disable bleed? 

It's really easy. Just try it.

1. Select Snare on the console in BFD3 to get focus.
  2. At right side [Bleed] section in BFD3, turn Return knob to the left.

If you turn Return knob to the left, you will never hear Bass drum, Hi-Hat and Cymbals from Snare track.
You can check these options behavior on BFD3 Operation Manual.

Edited by HIBI

1 hour ago, HIBI said:

If you turn Return knob to the left, you will never hear Bass drum, Hi-Hat and Cymbals from Snare track.

Yes, that worked, but the result of my efforts I had described yesterday.

I shall try all your suggestions from your previous post tonight, if possible.

But thank you anyway for encouraging me to keep going.

On 10/30/2019 at 10:03 AM, ChernobylStudios said:

I don't have BFD3 so I can't do it myself to test. But I would, before anything else, to double check the routing. You've set up a really complicated routing system, so let's go back to Step 1. And then let's go through this checklist:

• When you create a multiple-output routing of BFD3 to Sonar, do all of the instruments work? 
  • If all of the instruments play through separate channels with an initial multi-out, if you solo the snare, does it play?
    • If no, something is wrong with the output routing settings.
    • If yes, Does drum kit bleed sound through the solo'd snare track?
  • Disable bleed in the BFD3 instrument if you'd like.
  • Create Snare Bus.
  • Route BFD3 Snare to Snare Bus.
    • Solo bus - do you hear the same exact audio that you did with initial routing?
  • Create Drum Submix bus.
  • Route drum channels to drum submix bus.

I also wouldn't bother "thinking ahead" and creating FX Sends for reverbs or anything right now, first thing is to ensure the instrument loads and works properly with the routing system.

Try that and let us know.

Ok, another round of futile checks. Sorry.

I get the single BFD3 outputs in Sonar: Kick, Snare, Hihat, Cymbals, Toms... But very faintly, when soloed.

If all tracks are unsoloed, the only BFD3 instrument that's working is the kick. The others - I almost do not hear them.

When I solo the snare, I hear it, and in the channel "BFD snare" the meters show it's totally overclipping at + 21 dB and more.  But whatever I try BFD Snare to "Out BFD snare", or to BFD master, even out to the soundcard out: I almost hear nothing. But the meters say in peaks something around - 2 dB. For that level, the snare is way too soft.

Trying out the setup I initilly want:

BFD _Snare --> out BFD snare --> BFD Master --> Master preview --> Master, I get following levels (in dB):

22                    -->      -1,8                     -->        -13                      -->      -26,8                                - 33,9.     But the slide controls are at

-3,0                 -->           0                      -->        -1,3                     -->            -2,9        -->                -2,9

Where do all the signals go? 

Yes, I've taken out all fx, really all. (Only the sidechain kick - > Bass I maintained: having everything unsoloed, that is the only drum track I hear.) But there are no compressors, no reverbs, delay... in the snare console. As if something would "eat  away" 3/4 of the signal. At least the kick doesn't "bleed" in the snare track now.

C'mon, folks, I am still stuck here. Noone in for another hint where to look for erroneous setup? Pleazzzz.

Edited by Mad Musicologist

On 10/30/2019 at 10:51 AM, HIBI said:

Hi HIBI, thanks for answering my p.m.

As you suggested, here's a demo I excerpted from my  troublesome project, concentrating on BFD3 and TTS-1.

Interesting is, that with TTS-1 I do not have the channel loudness issue that I keep having with BFD3.

In the demo file, I have soloed the snare which has the channeling I actually wish to use.

If you unsolo it, you will hear that there is virtually no snare in the track audible, while other parts coming from BFD3 are well audible.

And by this you will see  my trouble. ("You" meaning anyone who uses BFD3, of course.)

BFD3_TTS1 Demo.cwp

Edited by Mad Musicologist

Hi again, HIBI.

I deleted the old busses and created new ones, and saved the changes. So far so good.

In search for the clipping youl told me of I found there were some fx inside BFD3 which I had to switch off . Trying to save the changes of that preset, BFD crashed and caused Sonar to crash as well. After 4rth relaunch I at least could save those internal Fx be switched off. But when I tried to set the snare track to "no fx", everything crashed again before I had a chance to save the new preset. Maybe I forst should try and save the kit, and then save the preset?

I guess I will have to harrass BFD about that crash issue. It should be possible to set a track from "Fx" to "no Fx" without having a mess all around.

5 hours ago, Mad Musicologist said:

In search for the clipping youl told me of I found there were some fx inside BFD3 which I had to switch off .

I don't know why you had to switch off the FX inside BFD.
In BFD, you can use General Trim in Tech panel per kit or the console volume faders to avoid clipping.

5 hours ago, Mad Musicologist said:

Trying to save the changes of that preset, BFD crashed and caused Sonar to crash as well. After 4rth relaunch I at least could save those internal Fx be switched off. But when I tried to set the snare track to "no fx", everything crashed again before I had a chance to save the new preset. Maybe I forst should try and save the kit, and then save the preset?

I don't know why BFD crashes when saving preset. and I think saving kits is not necessary before saving presets.
If you do that on BFD standalone mode, is it works well?

31 minutes ago, HIBI said:

I don't know why you had to switch off the FX inside BFD.
In BFD, you can use General Trim in Tech panel per kit or the console volume faders to avoid clipping.

I don't know why BFD crashes when saving preset. and I think saving kits is not necessary before saving presets.
If you do that on BFD standalone mode, is it works well?

Hello HIBI,

first of all, I have changed to the original project and made all the adjustments there, deleting the old busses, creating new ones (without "send"), and all works fine. Thank you so much for your help and advice!

As for that demo project, it    always crashes, but I finally had   saved the BFD preset with "no Fx" in the channel where the clippings occurred. So when I reopened my original project, BFD "had learned" what I was up to, and there are no more crashes. I shall delete the demo file, and    send the crash logs to FXpansion support - although I know that's a  tedious process. But they need to know on behalf of other users.

Ok, I could have done that "repairing" of my preset in the standalone version, but I had believed it was more practical to do that in a Cakewalk project, because I could go on experimenting after correcting the preset. Anyway. It works well now, and I am happy again. 

• 4 months later...

I've had this happen to me so many times I can't even tell you.  I got to the point that I assumed one of the tracks got "corrupted" or something, if that is even a thing lol, and did the same thing and deleted a given track that wasn't producing and signal when it should and then inserted a new one and voila, all was good.  What I believe was happening is I had the offset set to zero for the fader (now I can't for the life of me ever remember doing this but whatevs) but had not realized it back before I knew the nuances of Cakewalk.

So now one of my first checks when there is no signal in or out of a channel or bus is check the offset settings.  I still do not fully understand the purpose of offset, however I do know for a fact that it's a complete and utter pain in the ***** lol.