Seaweed Audio Fathom

cclarry

It is a very good sounding synth, and is a must for those into designing a sound from scratch. Great value, and under constant development, keeps getting better!

Zillions of possibilities due to the flexible modular, route anything anywhere architecture, and the loads of oscillator, filter, and modulation options. Oh yeah, and wavetables...

But it might be a bit overwhelming for a beginner.

There is a free mono version to try out! Downloads available here: https://www.fathomsynth.com/download

:D

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Paul Young said:

Tempting if I didn't have 1,007,594 synths.   That Trance demo is not that great.   BTW check out the contest demos if one is interested. 

If you make a comment like that, you are required to post your latest trance demo, or at least a link to the contest demos that you mentioned...  ;)

Edited by abacab
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, abacab said:

If you make a comment like that, you are required to post your latest trance demo, or at least a link to the contest demos that you mentioned...  ;)

That sounds like a "musta hurt a fanboy'z feelings reply".   I have the stereo typical trance synths.  I would not buy it based on that demo.  It's very thin sounding and no fatness like you would hear using Spire demo.  

Here is the one synth challenge.  https://www.fathomsynth.com/artists

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

That sounds like a "musta hurt a fanboy'z feelings reply".   I have the stereo typical trance synths.  I would not buy it based on that demo.  It's very thin sounding and no fatness like you would hear using Spire demo.  

Here is the one synth challenge.  https://www.fathomsynth.com/artists

Must have hit a nerve with you. I guess you missed the "winky" emoticon on my post! xD

And Spire on sale now for $129. Fathom on sale $25. We're talking apples/oranges here, bro...

And the Fathom developer's not unaware of the competition. In his own words he has stated: https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=482501&p=7544511#p7544511

The 4 best synths in the world right now, imho, are Serum, VPS Avenger, Omnisphere and uHe Diva.

Serum: Most beautiful sound and interface.
Avenger: Most raw power and features.
Omnisphere: Best preset and wave library.
uHe Diva: Best analog emulator.

The first three are the best options for a primary synth and the last is critical for true analog leads.

I intentionally designed Fathom to be the perfect second synth. It is priced accordingly. It does not attempt to compete with these in the number of effects and features, or analog emulation, but instead concentrates on little things which no other synth can do (listed below).

And later he stated:

There are other great synths like Dune, Hive,

Spire, SynthMaster, Sylenth and Zebra, which are more direct competitors to Fathom, and choosing one is just a personal preference.

SynthMaster has always been very special to me since it is the synth which got me into computer recording in the first place, and I still use it in my own music. It mixes better than most synths due to the clearness of its sound. Sylenth has just basic features but is generally considered the highest quality oscillators and filters, with the possible exception of Diva.

However, of this bunch, in my opinion, Dune is the best. Dune has a detune algorithm unlike anything I've ever heard and you can use it to generate those thick iconic EDM sounds. This is no small task, since it is one thing that is difficult to do with any digital instrument and Dune covers that important base. You can get similar sounds from Fathom and you have more control over each parameter, but it takes more work and more oscillators. Dune can do it with one oscillator and one dial.

Edited by abacab

1 minute ago, abacab said:

Must have hit a nerve with you. I guess you missed the "winky" emoticon on my post! xD

No.  That is really the first time I've seen that reply in this forum and usually that's often the translation.   I knew you were not serious about it.  Now if I were serious in believing you were serious I just happen to buy some trance templates today and would have bounced one of them down and said "here you go sucka".  

Be sure to check out those one synth challenge videos. Those are always great. They humble you and make you envious.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, abacab said:

And Spire on sale now for $129. Fathom on sale $25. We're talking apples/oranges here, bro...

And the Fathom developer's not unaware of the competition. In his own words he has stated: https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=482501&p=7544511#p7544511

And later he stated:

The price of synths mean little to me anymore.   I don't even download the free ones anymore. I need 20 lifetimes just to learn the ones I have.  But someday I'm sure I'll make things more confusing by getting the Arturia bundle only because I like the company.   I wish I was one of those Reaktor exerts and never buy any synths.   

• Like 1