Travel Down The Highway - Featuring Daryl on Vocals & Drums

Serious_Noize!

This is a song I wrote a long time ago. It's about not wasting the time you have on this earth and going out and seeing the world.  I asked my friend daryl1968 if he would like to collaborate on the song.  He said he would and added Drums and Vocals and done the final mix down for the song. I thought it turned out great! This would have never gotten done without Daryl's help and contributions to creating the song. 

https://www.bandlab.com/user924a9571/travel-down-the-highway-d7293?revId=2d1cf245-a61a-e911-9f2a-00155d7803f0

Just thought someone might like hearing this.  

22 hours ago, Lynn Wilson said:

Great collaboration, guys!  It has everything I like to hear in a song and mix.  I'll be replaying this from time to time, so keep the songs coming.

Thank you Lynn Wilson for taking the time to reply and listen!  For various reasons some of my songs I have worked on weren't up there long for people to listen to, and I know some who have heard them say they've heard them before, but I am reworking some of them also.  The reason they weren't up there long was because of a Hard drive crash, new PC, changed music host and etc.. Various reasons.  I'm sure a lot of you can relate to that. What I post here on Bandlab I plan on leaving there forever. My search for a music host is over. Yeah, there's some things I would change with the setup of the music host site, but it seems to be pretty solid for now. 

I just turned 50 last year, and I realized I have a lot to learn when it comes to music. Nothing I do will ever be perfect, but I hope my attempts reflect the emotion I try to convey in the sounds, however I may get there. 

Thanks again!!! 🙂 

50? Welcome to the club! I can recommend several knee surgeons.

For me, the chorus, the vocals are a little buried. Do you add a guitar layer in the chorus? it's the  "don't wait around until you're old" section.

The guitar work is really good and fits the song in the right spots.

I listened on headphones. Possibly the bass could have a notch cut out in the upper mids? So the lower part of the vocal can poke its head out more? I dunno.

Personal preference - on a groove jam like this, a fade-out ending is more satisfying that just . . . stopping. My .02 Zimbabwe Dollars.

Very good, driving tune. Age appropriate to the max.

cheers,

-Tom

On 1/18/2019 at 4:55 PM, daryl1968 said:

I really enjoyed working on this with you - great song

Thanks Daryl, you are one extremely talented person!!!! Not just with your vocals but singing and music and songwriting and the instruments you play. Thank you for taking the time out of your day to work with me on this song.  Not many people would do that for me, it means a lot!!!!  I could write an entire album of songs featuring your voice easily given the chance. 

Thanks again!!! 🙂 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cookie Jarvis said:

Great tune...really catchy! Clear mix and well-defined, especially the guitars! Turned 56 myself a couple of months ago...let me tell you, 56 is the old 56 😉

Bill

Thanks for taking the time to listen my friend and the kind comments. I really do appreciate it very much.  And hey, not sure if you are an Elvis fan, I am myself, but think of it this way, 56 was Elvis's break out year 1956. So turning 56 might just be yours also playing music. I know, your probably saying "CRAZY PERSON REPLYING TO ME!!!!", LOL!!! You might be right about that one. But I must say, I am thankful for every day on this earth, and considering Elvis died at the age of 42, we've both got it a lot better than him no doubt.

Thanks again for taking the time to listen and reply and comment! 🙂 

9 hours ago, emeraldsoul said:

50? Welcome to the club! I can recommend several knee surgeons.

For me, the chorus, the vocals are a little buried. Do you add a guitar layer in the chorus? it's the  "don't wait around until you're old" section.

The guitar work is really good and fits the song in the right spots.

I listened on headphones. Possibly the bass could have a notch cut out in the upper mids? So the lower part of the vocal can poke its head out more? I dunno.

Personal preference - on a groove jam like this, a fade-out ending is more satisfying that just . . . stopping. My .02 Zimbabwe Dollars.

Very good, driving tune. Age appropriate to the max.

cheers,

-Tom

LOL! What are the benefits of being in the 50's club?  So far all I get is bills and flatulence from eating fried food. 🤣

Thank you for the advice on the mix. That is exactly what I am wanting to know. You mentioned you were listening on headphones. I actually have a pretty good set of studio headphones, not so much on the studio monitor speakers though. I've been listening and mixing on these Logitech speakers I got from office depot. Yeah, I know I need some better ones, hopefully I can upgrade in the future. These sound great though for listening to mixed down music, but I've come to realize that they sound great for ALREADY MIXED DOWN SONGS, not so much for mixing down songs. I have a pair of Sony MDR 7506 headphones, I know they're not the top of the line, but they're probably better than the speakers I have been using for mixing things down. So I think when I remix this I will give those a try. I'd buy some top of the line monitor speakers, but I just can't afford that right now. 

I always like it when people tell me what they are listening to sounds with, that means a lot, it lets me and others know by comparison what they are talking about. 

I'll keep that in mind on the fade out, actually, that was my idea to start with, saying "One Fine Day with the background vocals saying Don't Fade Away" and then fading out. But I didn't do that. Maybe in the next mixdown. 

Thanks again for all your advice and taking the time to listen and comment! 🙂 

On 1/18/2019 at 4:56 PM, James G said:

I remember this one, really good driving song, full of hooks, vocal and guitar. Reminds me of Bryan Adams a little.

Thank you for that kind comment! That is probably one of the best comments I have ever gotten, not kidding at all! 🙂 

Bryan Adams and John Mellencamp are probably the two biggest influences in my life when it comes to music and songwriting. I remember as a kid listening to Bryan Adams and John Mellencamp and not knowing nothing about music and thinking how I wish I could play music and write it someday like they do. 

Thank you!!! 🙂 

21 hours ago, Johnbee58 said:

Nice, soft rocker.  The mix is good but in a few small spots a bit off balance where I have to strain my ears a bit to hear what Daryl is singing.  But it's a great tune and a nice listen overall.

😀John B.

Thanks for taking the time to listen and comment. Daryl did the mixing on this tune. It was really great to have someone playing drums for a change rather than programming them like Daryl did. 

Thanks again. It's always good to know what everyone hears because we don't all have great ears or speakers. 

I guess I have decided that I am done with writing songs and playing music altogether for good. Thank you all who has been there for me at times. I'm getting old and it's best for me to move on, I have a ton of songs I have written, but I just don't have the desire to complete them anymore. With my age and health failing it's best that I just put my guitar down and let go of childhood dreams I had where music is concerned.  

Wish you all the best ALWAYS!!!!!! Thank you all for taking the time to listen and reply to my songs and music over the years, I am sorry for the attitude at times, but growing up around a bunch of 80's hair metal attitude type of folks it makes you feel that way. 

Thanks again all for listening to this tune! Sorry for any drama I might have created in the past or even now with my reply here. It's time for me to move on away from music. 

I believe that I remember this song also.  IMHO this song has a perfect commercial feel to it.  The melody is infectious and the lyrics are great.

Great number!!!  BTW congratulations on reaching 50.  I only wish I could go back and celebrate 50 --- again.