Jump to content
garybrun

Need help with this one... Christian based.

Recommended Posts

OK... straight  up...
Many may not like this as its Christian based,

I wrote this when I was 18-19  (now 56) but dont have a melody for it, nor a title.
But its stayed with me all these years and I would like to find something for it before I kick the bucket.¬† ūüôā

When the blood of my pierced side,
Went flowing down the mountain side.
And the sky turned black on that day,
Because the Father He turned me away.
You see He sent me down into the depths of hell.
Into that dark festering well.
Like a pure white sponge He squeezed  me tight,
Till I soaked up all the black of the night.
You see death was defeated,
New life had to start.
God had promised man should have a new heart.
And only by my dying could this be,
That's why I gave my life so freely.

I remember starting to write a Christian musical...  maybe its not meant to have melody.

Just so you know.. Im not preaching to anyone or ramming my religion down peoples throats.
Just thought maybe some of you have some advice.

Thanks

 

Edited by garybrun
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gary,

I found this post because I fancy myself a composer of Christian music.  I typed in "Christian" in the search box, found your post.  Let me just say this: that it is a shame that some - like you and me, at times - feel it necessary to include disclaimers such as "OK... straight  up... Many may not like this as its Christian based," and "Just so you know.. Im not preaching to anyone or ramming my religion down peoples throats."  I don't do it anymore. If someone doesn't like what I have to say, they can tell me and I will let it roll off of my back.  Sorry, I'm not being critical of you. We all do it or have done it. It's just a shame that the scoffers have such loud voices.

I am just starting to get serious about writing some music that will help to build the kingdom, and I am almost 62.  I have written a couple of songs but I need to and vow to spend more time, work harder and start producing full length pieces instead of 16 bar snippets.  I just put together a hopefully winning chorus tonight. 

I love your lyrics.  Perhaps we could collaborate. I come up with music far easier than I do lyrics.  Do you have any other lyrics?

Blessings,


Wayne

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had similar christian angst when I was that age.  Nice to know I wasn't alone.  But where is the music?  You should sequence it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/25/2019 at 2:36 PM, garybrun said:

OK... straight  up...
Many may not like this as its Christian based,

I wrote this when I was 18-19  (now 56) but dont have a melody for it, nor a title.
But its stayed with me all these years and I would like to find something for it before I kick the bucket.¬† ūüôā

When the blood of my pierced side,
Went flowing down the mountain side.
And the sky turned black on that day,
Because the Father He turned me away.
You see He sent me down into the depths of hell.
Into that dark festering well.
Like a pure white sponge He squeezed  me tight,
Till I soaked up all the black of the night.
You see death was defeated,
New life had to start.
God had promised man should have a new heart.
And only by my dying could this be,
That's why I gave my life so freely.

I remember starting to write a Christian musical...  maybe its not meant to have melody.

Just so you know.. Im not preaching to anyone or ramming my religion down peoples throats.
Just thought maybe some of you have some advice.

Thanks

 

Gary . . . poetry is poetry, this is quite well done. It won't be a Christian Pop song. It has some serious drama, so I think the music you write should reflect that. My favorite all time theatre music is Jesus Christ Superstar, music that has stayed with me all these years. I think you should fit your youthful lyrics to a really powerful chord progression (one that shifts between major and minor keys, perhaps), and orchestrate it from there. I look forward to hearing the results here. Sounds like it's calling out to you, so you simply have to do something with it. 

  • Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Wayne Shirley said:

Gary,

I found this post because I fancy myself a composer of Christian music.  I typed in "Christian" in the search box, found your post.  Let me just say this: that it is a shame that some - like you and me, at times - feel it necessary to include disclaimers such as "OK... straight  up... Many may not like this as its Christian based," and "Just so you know.. Im not preaching to anyone or ramming my religion down peoples throats."  I don't do it anymore. If someone doesn't like what I have to say, they can tell me and I will let it roll off of my back.  Sorry, I'm not being critical of you. We all do it or have done it. It's just a shame that the scoffers have such loud voices.

I am just starting to get serious about writing some music that will help to build the kingdom, and I am almost 62.  I have written a couple of songs but I need to and vow to spend more time, work harder and start producing full length pieces instead of 16 bar snippets.  I just put together a hopefully winning chorus tonight. 

I love your lyrics.  Perhaps we could collaborate. I come up with music far easier than I do lyrics.  Do you have any other lyrics?

Blessings,


Wayne

Hi Wayne.
The song I posted above I have used as RAP between singing "How great Though Art".
On my side.. its not really apologetic... it is showing respect for those who don't believe and would think I was preaching or ramming stuff down their throats.
Music has been my passion since I was a young Christian guy  (17 years old and Im now 57) and during the period of 17-22 I wrote over 20 songs and performed them as a singer song writer.  But never recorded or did anything with them... like you I have reached a certain age and thought I should do something with that gift.
Now I have all the equipment and time in the world to fix it but have been waiting.

We can take this on PM further if you likeas I have a lot of stuff.
I am not really a musician but more of a singer and producer/arranger to be honest.
Thanks for posting..  get in touch.

God Bless,

 

Gary

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, David Sprouse said:

I had similar christian angst when I was that age.  Nice to know I wasn't alone.  But where is the music?  You should sequence it.

I had some music in mind...   but have ussed it mostly as a Rap between some songs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, noynekker said:

Gary . . . poetry is poetry, this is quite well done. It won't be a Christian Pop song. It has some serious drama, so I think the music you write should reflect that. My favorite all time theatre music is Jesus Christ Superstar, music that has stayed with me all these years. I think you should fit your youthful lyrics to a really powerful chord progression (one that shifts between major and minor keys, perhaps), and orchestrate it from there. I look forward to hearing the results here. Sounds like it's calling out to you, so you simply have to do something with it. 

Thanks for taking the time to comment.
Yes... been calling out to me for years.¬† ūüôā

I recently formed a new Blues Band called "Gary & The Norwegians"¬† ūüôā¬† and we where working on my songs..¬† but covid has shut us down for a while.
There are a few talented Christian musicians on here and it would be good to get some stuff done.

I have tried writing secular music...  just cant no matter how I try   lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Gary,

I am primarily a writer of music who sometimes gets lucky with a lyric. They say even a blind squirrel gets a nut every now and then. 

Shoot me line or I'll shoot you a line . It's funny, I was working with a girl in Norway but her music is  not this music. Her lyrics were more "out there" and artsy. Not a bad thing .  I have played Christian music at church on and off for quite awhile.

I'm still working.........must be nice over there in Norway to retire at 56 years old ;) but I could free up some time for a project like this.  I see someone has already offered so I'll lay back to see if you need me or want to work with a project in the future. If you're still interested just send me a PM. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Starise said:

Hi Gary,

I am primarily a writer of music who sometimes gets lucky with a lyric. They say even a blind squirrel gets a nut every now and then. 

Shoot me line or I'll shoot you a line . It's funny, I was working with a girl in Norway but her music is  not this music. Her lyrics were more "out there" and artsy. Not a bad thing .  I have played Christian music at church on and off for quite awhile.

I'm still working.........must be nice over there in Norway to retire at 56 years old ;) but I could free up some time for a project like this.  I see someone has already offered so I'll lay back to see if you need me or want to work with a project in the future. If you're still interested just send me a PM. 

 

will drop you a line soon.
Im retired due to PTSD¬† ūüôā

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gary, as someone said above, this is not a Christian pop song.  In fact, the words are dark and the music could be colored that way to give it a poignant feel, with an uplifting progression for the ending.  The search has begun.

  • Great Idea 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Max Arwood said:

Can't wait to see what comes from your poem. Hope it is great!

Thanks so much...  anyone can have ago at this one!
interesting challenge for some?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/25/2019 at 11:36 PM, garybrun said:

OK... straight  up...
Many may not like this as its Christian based,

I wrote this when I was 18-19  (now 56) but dont have a melody for it, nor a title.
But its stayed with me all these years and I would like to find something for it before I kick the bucket.¬† ūüôā

When the blood of my pierced side,
Went flowing down the mountain side.
And the sky turned black on that day,
Because the Father He turned me away.
You see He sent me down into the depths of hell.
Into that dark festering well.
Like a pure white sponge He squeezed  me tight,
Till I soaked up all the black of the night.
You see death was defeated,
New life had to start.
God had promised man should have a new heart.
And only by my dying could this be,
That's why I gave my life so freely.

I remember starting to write a Christian musical...  maybe its not meant to have melody.

Just so you know.. Im not preaching to anyone or ramming my religion down peoples throats.
Just thought maybe some of you have some advice.

Thanks

 

so i dont know why you have to mention it. Jesus taught us to love everyone.

One world One love

!!!Peace!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But so many people taught us over the years so many different things?
I mention it out of respect for others!

Going to church doesn't make you a Christian                      as going to Mc Donalds makes you a hamburger!!
I can make an noise like and aeroplane ...  but it doesn't make me an aeroplan?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My Grandpa (R.I.P) named two of his childrens Moses (R.I.P) and Jesus and he was not a Christian.

We have to give love to everyone since God has give us all love.

That is my opinion. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

√ó
√ó
  • Create New...