The MIDI track

Tkitwa

Sorry for my error, i am french

Hi

I download VirtualMIDISynth and a soundfont, this name of this soundfont is arachno.

I wanted to use. I create a MIDI track, when I record or presse play, I see the musical note, but I don't hear this notes.

I have tried put on the sound, but I don't succeed.

A lot of Picture, I don't know if that's useful ?

Capture11.PNG.db9a438fafa0429c9d4e645d326c48e0.PNGCapture111.thumb.PNG.584dc25b5a009b72702286e1fa8921ee.PNGCapture1111.PNG.a29d1397f8dcfee231952167b0773615.PNGCapture11111.PNG.8c07b1863ed27141dbd42871335c2752.PNG

Thank you in advance for your answers

During the insert plugin process, when you see the Insert Soft Synth Options dialog box display - if you have the following two options checked, and then (after loading a sound/instrument/preset), click on the midi track and play some notes, you should hear the output.  The two options I refer to are: Midi Source, and First Synth Audio Output.

Basically, you need to associate a midi track with the desired plugin synth, and then you also need to have an audio track assigned to have its input set to pick up the audio output from the synth plugin.  Once you have that (which will automatically happen when you have the above 2 boxes checked in the Insert Soft Synth Options), you should be good to go.

There are other ways of setting things up - but the above is an easy way to accomplish it, for a single sound from a soft synth.

Bob Bone

"VirtualMIDISynth is a software MIDI synthesizer implemented as a Windows multimedia user driver, accessible as a standard MIDI Out device." [emphasis added]

I downloaded it and do not see VirtualMIDISynth.dll. I am not sure it is a VST Instrument. If it is, I cannot make Cakewalk see it as a plug-in.

AHA!!! It shows up as a midi output:

image.png.529b3f0086ef0131287b2e1617b9a00b.png

image.png.838405d49a37bdb1fc435db18b6737db.png

I have usb keyboard -> VirtualMIDISynth #1.  I have sound but it is 1.5 seconds after I press a note.

image.png.368af70c3c20840000af54de5f0b06b4.png

I reduced the latency here (Additional output buffer = 1). It is better, but the sound is still late. My ASIO Panel is set to 2 msec.  Maybe it would be better under a different audio driver model.  After I switched audio driver models, I had no sound--even after I went back to ASIO.  I got sound back by selecting my EM8810 Card for the output. After that, I switched to <default> and had sound.

image.png.6604c474bc2b2d179dfe5e1809e5c2de.png    image.png.f91d469f35d42b90400862da3501dcac.png

image.png.cf0c8241725c945d443d36974ce99830.png

MK249 . . . is my usb keyboard (MIDI Input).  1VrtlMDS . . . is the VirtualMIDISynth (MIDI Output).

Also, look at VirtualMIDISynth's settings, including the mixer.

image.png.84fb319986a8a4a41f336a4a6695c0fe.png

I hope this helps.

Edited by User 905133

6 hours ago, Tkitwa said:

Hi Bob bone

Thank you for your answer

But I see the Insert, Sort Synth but I don't find the Option :

Capture111111.PNG.3210008b83c5a4f4350fea23d82b1533.PNG

Thank you in advance for your answers

You need to select a soft synth, such as SI-Electric Piano, or from one of the listed categories, (Bass, Drums, General MIDI, etc...), and THEN the Insert Soft Synth Options dialog box open.

Bob Bone

Hi

->User 905133

I followed your advice but, I don't hear the musical notes.

MIDIVibra.PNG.a009f67a237f27da2831987aad997bcf.PNGMIDIVibra2.PNG.21a0e9aaccfbc402324be529a2d9e571.PNG

->Bob Bone

I create the 2 track with the Insert Soft Synth Options dialog box.

The piste is configured (see more up), but on track audio, I don't know how use VirtualMIDISynth :

Capture222.PNG.8bbabb0b72d2b9e0e86bbf3c93b3d0b1.PNG

I may have misconfigured this window :

Capture22.PNG.97ccf4c8671fc12eff7e3e35084d20ea.PNG

Can you get sound/audio/musical notes from any soft synth?  I usually use TTS-1  as a simple instrument (piste d'instrument simple) to test audio.  I like pressing the buttons on the bottom of the channel strips in TTS-1 to see if I have audio.  

If you don't get any sound from any soft synth, look at your audio flow.  The images you show do not seem correct to me.

MID Input = should probably be a keyboard or other controller. Is SWSSNC . . . a keyboard?  

One option is to set a track's MIDI Input to "Omni" [I am not sure what Omni (all) is in French.]  

Edited by User 905133

9 hours ago, Robert Bone said:

You need to select a soft synth, such as SI-Electric Piano, or from one of the listed categories, (Bass, Drums, General MIDI, etc...), and THEN the Insert Soft Synth Options dialog box open.

From what I saw last night testing VirtualMIDISynth, it seems to be a MIDI Output. That's why I abandoned the insert-soft-synth approach. Also, having tested VirtualMIDISynth very briefly, I am not sure I would ever use it for real time music performance or recording.  But that's a matter of personal preference. I have not tried it yet to play general MIDI files using sound fonts. 

FYI "VirtualMIDISynth offers the opportunity to replace the Microsoft one with something just as easy but infinitely superior. This is because it uses SoundFonts. "

Edited by User 905133
To add a link

VirtualMIDISynth is a replacement for the MS GS Wavetable synth. To a DAW this is an external device. It may be used but is not nearly as convenient as working with softsynths. It is difficult to work with the audio generated by VirtualMIDISynth and the MS GS Wavetable synth. This is why most use either external hardware synths when wanting to use external audio sources or soft synths when working all in the PC.

IOW for the best DAW experience avoid using VirtualMIDISynth or the MS GS Wavetable synth

• Like 2

I understood that VirtualMIDISynth is not practical. I would like just to have several instrument : trumpet, piano or sax becaus because five instrument, it's very little. In addition, the sound of the piano is not so good.

So I would like to have several instrument with quality sounds. Do you have any advice ?

Quality has a cost. If sampled acoustic instruments are what you are in the market for look to Kontakt. There is a free player with a few instruments.

Since you are using soundfonts now there are a couple of free solutions TX16Wx and sforzando that may work. While not dedicated sf2 players they claim to load/play the format.

Here is a thread about free instrument plug-ins