How to show tracks that output to a given bus

georgeallaman

Is there an easy way to show which tracks output to a given bus? I know I can look at all the individual track outputs to determine which ones output to the bus but in a large project with many tracks this is a little onerous. I'm looking for a way to list just those tracks that output to a bus. This would be very useful for making sure that only the intended tracks output to the bus.

While I'm at it, is there a good reason to use a send to output a track to a bus rather than output the track to the bus?

Thanks!

Edited by snakedog

I believe if you 'alt-click' on a bus to select it it will select the tracks and other buses that are routed to it.  It may be 'ctrl-click' but it is one of those.

If you send to a bus then that takes a copy of the signal and sends it to the bus. You could still have the output of the track going to a different bus. This allows you to send some of the tracks signal into say, a reverb bus.  Then each track to which you want to apply that reverb can have a send to that bus with its own individual level of reverb.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, ALT+click on the bus number will select the tracks sending to it.

Sends have a pre/post fader switch. The output is post fader. Functionally a post fader send is the same as routing the output to a bus. Pre-fader sends are useful for sidechains.

Sending tracks to another track using a patch point or an aux track can serve the same function as a bus except the it is located in the track area. Some like to see "buses" next to the tracks. Some prefer the have buses in the bus area.

• Like 1