Accusonus ERA Voice Leveler only $9

PluginFox

Already have Waves Vocal Rider (my preferred), MAutoVolume and Hornet AutoGainPro but at this price I will definitely try the demo.

Update: To try the demo you need to download the ERA4 Standard Bundle from Accusonus and deselect all plugins apart from Voice Leveler on installation. You need to create an account with them but if you got the recent Regroover freebie from PluginBoutique you probably already have an account.  

Edited by ZincT
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Fleer said:

Did you try it out, ZincT?

Would it indeed be useful for vocals, if one already has Hornet’s AutoGain Pro?

Hey Fleer, I did try it out but still found Waves Vocal rider the better option. I dropped it into a track where I was already using VR.

Hornet keep updating Autogain Pro so I must give that another go. Also doesn't their VU plugin have some auto gain functionality now?

• Thanks 1

I picked this offer, because I am also interested in such plugins. The ones I have now: ERA4 Voice Leveler, TBProAudio DynaRide, Waves Vocal Rider, SonicAnomaly TriLeveler (free) and SonicAnomaly VOLA2 (free). I demo-ed some others above-mentioned, too.

I made a lot of tests in Audacity, because there you can see the result very quickly in a visual way and that's extremely interesting. With some settings many of those plugins increase the esses and such stuff immensely and that's not what you want! That's why I compared "usual" compressors to them and with some of them I got better or equal results (TokyoDawnLabs Kotelnikov (free), PSP FETpressor, Lindell 254E, Nomad Factory LM Amplifier LM-662, Cakewalk CA-2A). One of the positive surprises was TriLeveler of Sonic Anomaly, although free it is one of the best Levelers around IMO!

Though I have to do deeper tests once more, because the results are extremly setting dependable and I am not yet satisfied with any of those plugins. Yes, you are able to match one short phrase with some of the above plugins, but it is rather difficult to have generalized settings that match the vocals of one song or album, even if you first adjust the loudness (LU) of the phrases. The best levelling is still "doing it manually", but it is so time-consuming! 😟

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

2 hours ago, marled said:

I picked this offer, because I am also interested in such plugins. The ones I have now: ERA4 Voice Leveler, TBProAudio DynaRide, Waves Vocal Rider, SonicAnomaly TriLeveler (free) and SonicAnomaly VOLA2 (free). I demo-ed some others above-mentioned, too.

I made a lot of tests in Audacity, because there you can see the result very quickly in a visual way and that's extremely interesting. With some settings many of those plugins increase the esses and such stuff immensely and that's not what you want! That's why I compared "usual" compressors to them and with some of them I got better or equal results (TokyoDawnLabs Kotelnikov (free), PSP FETpressor, Lindell 254E, Nomad Factory LM Amplifier LM-662, Cakewalk CA-2A). One of the positive surprises was TriLeveler of Sonic Anomaly, although free it is one of the best Levelers around IMO!

Though I have to do deeper tests once more, because the results are extremly setting dependable and I am not yet satisfied with any of those plugins. Yes, you are able to match one short phrase with some of the above plugins, but it is rather difficult to have generalized settings that match the vocals of one song or album, even if you first adjust the loudness (LU) of the phrases. The best levelling is still "doing it manually", but it is so time-consuming! 😟

Useful information there, thanks Marled.  I own most of the other plugins you mention but tend to end up using favourites all the time. I will have to give TriLeveler a go though and also revisit ERA4 VoiceLeveler.

One thing I have been trying to do more lately is using parallel compression to reduce the need for vocal rider unless the vocal level varies massively and I always use CA-2A on the busses (it's part of my standard template). A lot of the time I don't need to make do with a vocal take as I can just re-record it if necessary. 

Edited by ZincT
  • Like 1

I actually found it quite good on sung vocals, also it`s quite good for leveling out frequency differences. As a real life example, I`m currently working on a remix using a home made acapella (Rx7`s  music rebalance) although the extracted vocal sounded decent, there were some areas that had tone changes because of frequency differences, obviously due to the nature of the extraction, but by using Voice Leveler I was able to minimize that effect by using the "Emphasis" button, which leveled out the tone quite nicely.

All in all for the price of the Voice Leveler is well worth it. To me the compression part of the plugin sounds similar to the compression in Waves R-Vox, but with a couple of extra features, namely emphasis and breath control.

Edited by rasure
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, marled said:

Wow, great write-up!  Thanks!  I'd like to hear your take on MAutoVolume too, if you're so inclined.  That's my current go-to.

12 hours ago, emeraldsoul said:

Would you use this instead of creating volume envelopes by hand?

You can use it like that and having given it a bit more of an in-depth try it seems to produce good results.

However, one area where I find Waves Vocal Rider better, unless I am missing something in Voice Leveler, is that you can record the rider automation. Once you have recorded the automation in Vocal Rider you can then tweak it manually afterwards to make it exactly how you want it. Some automation parameters do appear in the automation menu for VL (e.g. output gain) but they are not the right ones to be able to record level variation automation.

ERA4 VL_Auto.jpg

If you don't need automation though, for a quick volume leveler Voice Leveler does work well and is definitely worth $9. I like the zoom UI option (100%, 150% and 200%) which I wish more developers would implement. 

Edited by ZincT
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

@ZincT I recently purchased this era standard plugin bundle, installed them, and they work fine in Maschine 2, However, when I open up bandlab, they don't show up even when I located the folder the plugins (32 bit and 64 bit) and add that folder, and scan for plugins.  Do you have any ideas?  I seen you have cakewalk by bandlab as your photo in the comment, so figured I'd ask.  Thanks and appreciate any help!

5 hours ago, YaBoY Steve T said:

@ZincT I recently purchased this era standard plugin bundle, installed them, and they work fine in Maschine 2, However, when I open up bandlab, they don't show up even when I located the folder the plugins (32 bit and 64 bit) and add that folder, and scan for plugins.  Do you have any ideas?  I seen you have cakewalk by bandlab as your photo in the comment, so figured I'd ask.  Thanks and appreciate any help!

@YaBoY Steve T Make sure you have the correct path in your VST Scan Paths list (Preferences --> File --> VST Settings). You need to make sure it contains the location of the VST2/VST3 plugin dlls rather than the program folder.

For me the plugin is located here --> C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VstPlugins which is a default for quite a few plugins so make sure that is included in the above list.   Do a manual scan afterwards if you change anything.

You can then open up the Browser (shortcut B) then go to Plugins --> Audio FX and see if you have an Accusonus folder with ERA4 Voice Leveler in it. You can drag and drop it from there onto a track if you like.

This is quite a common type of question (newly added plugins not showing up) and the same principles apply whatever the plugin. So to save repeating what others have said many times I will also refer you to a similar thread for a different plugin where two of the forum experts (scook and msmcleod) provide responses/screen shots etc.

Hope you get it sorted.

Edited by ZincT