Mix Scene - Radio Edit

Darinador

Hello,

I've been thinking about doing a "radio edit" of one of my songs, which will make the song shorter by cutting out bars (mainly a chorus). Is it possible to keep the versions (original mix and radio edit) in the same project by using Mix Scenes or do I need two separate projects for this. 

Mix Recall is more for configuration settings (Gain, Fader, Pan, Sends).

Mix Recall warning from the documentation...

Caution: If you insert or delete time/measures in a project, you might experience unexpected results if you load an old Mix Scene that contains automation envelopes. The automation envelopes will no longer be aligned properly with the project’s timeline. You might need to manually move the affected portion of the envelopes by a corresponding amount.

I would use versioning of projects (can be found in preferences>File>Advanced).

Enable Versioning of Project (.cwp) Files. Checking this check box causes SONAR to save successive versions of a project with the date the project was saved in the file name. The most recent version has no date in the name.

Number of versions to keep. If you enable the versioning option, you can use this field to choose how many versions to keep. When the maximum number of files is reached, the oldest file is deleted.

If you are planning on deleting data from tracks then mix scenes won't save that info so you would have to first save an independent version of the radio edit project.
However once you open the radio edit project file you can certainly create and use mix scenes to quickly switch between your original mix and variations of the radio edit mix. You will get the best of both worlds that way.