Chromaphonia 2 *updated 10/11*

Leizer

This tune is also made with AAS Chromaphone 2 (with associated sound banks this time).  In my mind I was going for something between Kotye and early 80s blipblop synth music, but I struggle to keep the soundscape dry enough. I like critique about the mix, use of effects, sound choice. My wife just said that most music I do nowadays sound a bit ...asian? 😆

Mostly Soundtoys FX  used.

Edit:  I listen to some of your earlier critique and have now made a new version that is more wet, and with some small changes and additions. Wetter is better?

Here is the new one:

And here is the old one for comparison:

Edited by Leizer
New version
  • Like 1

Very playful fun tune. I would try slowing down the tempo a bit and putting in a delay on the main instrument, synced to the host maybe 1/8.
And when that doesn't work I'd go back to the original track. 😃
It does sound a little Asian, just a hint.  Would  be educational to find out what scale you're using.

• Thanks 1

On 10/25/2019 at 6:56 PM, bjornpdx said:

Very playful fun tune. I would try slowing down the tempo a bit and putting in a delay on the main instrument, synced to the host maybe 1/8.
And when that doesn't work I'd go back to the original track. 😃
It does sound a little Asian, just a hint.  Would  be educational to find out what scale you're using.

Thanks Bjorn! Good idea about the 1/8 delay on lead, I will play around with that and see how it goes.

The scale is a major pentatonic scale (like in key of C - c,d,e,g,a)

• 2 weeks later...

I've ony listened briefly on crummy laptop speakers, but I'm guessing this suggestion would apply broadly;

Bring up the level of the instrument(s) defining the harmonic structure. The chord changes are cool but not as audible as they should be everywhere. I think this is partly what makes it sound 'Asian' - the melody is too dominant.  A switch to - or addition of - a lead instrument with more sustain on the choruses could also help that.

Nice work otherwise.  I like it. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/25/2019 at 9:50 PM, Douglas Kirby said:

That was really cool.  I thought it sounded a bit Asian as well, due to what the main synth is playing - the harmony of the piece.

Thanks! I have listened a lot to Casiopea earlier in the days, maybe there's some influence?

On 10/25/2019 at 11:21 PM, garybrun said:

Very dry mix and Asian sounding as your wife says.
Nice arrangement too.

We all paint different pictures...    would it be possible to make the mix wider and tickle my ears more.

Thanks Gary. I'm going to post an update soon with a bit more delay and reverb at least.

On 10/26/2019 at 11:10 PM, mark skinner said:

Extremely clean mix. I really liked the bass also. I don't have a clue what a chromaphone is but I liked it . Thought it was tiny bit dry though .  Thanks I really enjoyed the listen ..    mark

Thanks for listening! A wetter version is on the way. Chomaphone is a... synth. https://www.applied-acoustics.com/chromaphone-2/

On 11/6/2019 at 8:02 PM, David Baay said:

I've ony listened briefly on crummy laptop speakers, but I'm guessing this suggestion would apply broadly;

Bring up the level of the instrument(s) defining the harmonic structure. The chord changes are cool but not as audible as they should be everywhere. I think this is partly what makes it sound 'Asian' - the melody is too dominant.  A switch to - or addition of - a lead instrument with more sustain on the choruses could also help that.

Nice work otherwise.  I like it. 

On 11/6/2019 at 8:22 PM, daryl1968 said:

LOVE it Lasse - this is right up my street. I have to get Chromaphone 2

Thanks a lot Daryl.  I know I'm trespassing on the Green way, so really glad you liked it. Wait for Black Friday, maybe it goes on sale then.

On 11/7/2019 at 3:17 AM, Old Joad said:

I agree, I've had panda express and it tasted just like this😎

There is a Panda Express in Stockholm. I obviously have to try it next time I'm passing by.

6 hours ago, DeeringAmps said:

Panda Express, I'm not going that far (but I am smiling).
I've got a good attitude lift this morning catching up with what everyone is up to here in Songs.
You've got me ending on a very upbeat note!
Big A+ here.

Tom

Big thanks for the A+ and for listening!

3 hours ago, Bapu said:

That was a fun romp Lasse.

Thanks Bapu, glad to see you in here as well.