Flatten comp

Apeirofobia

Question

Hi guys. I was wondering if there's a way to flatten comp in a single track. I mean, I'm working on the takes of the first  verse of a song, and when I'm done, I flatten comp that verse and Cakewalk creates a "comp track". Then I start working on the chorus and when I click "flatten comp" it creates another comp track. I know that one solution could be working the whole song and then click "flatten comp" but I'm a little obsessive so I tend to fix some mistakes while I'm recording.

Thanks in advance.

1 answer to this question

No, it's not possible to limit the scope of Flatten Comp to certain lanes or time ranges. Functionally, there's really no need to flatten a comp at all, unless you plan to move the resulting clip - or parts of it - to another track or section of the comped track or you just want to have it 'set in stone' to protect it against possible editing mishaps later.  The alternative is to do it manually:

- Select the comped section and bounce it to a new track. If desired, you can then drag that clip into a new lane of the original track and manually mute and lock the clips that contributed as Flatten Comp would.

- Split the clips as needed before comping, select and drag the relevant sections (e.g. Choruses) as a group to lanes of a new track, holding Shift to preserve the start times, and comp them there. 

When using Bounce to Tracks, you'll need to beware of track Gain, Volume and FX getting baked into the bounces.