(edit) shaker

GM synths like the TTS-1 have a Cabasa on note #69 (A above middle C), and Maraca on note #70.  I've been using these sounds from a Roland D-110 for decades (!) to do 'shaker' patterns. Some years ago I created an SFZ instrument of the D-110's drum kit that I can share on request. PM me an e-mail address if you want to give it a whirl.

• Like 1

Yes, I find shakers one of the easiest things to record and place in a track.  I have a bunch of kids toys laying around for just that reason.  It can be pretty amazing how adding one live part added can make the whole thing sound live.  Even a bad recording of it.  If I can do it I always will use a real sleigh bell, or shaker or clav sticks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Byron Dickens said:

Go buy a shaker (< $20!), shake it in front of a mic & be done way before you get done fiddle-farting with trying to fake it.

Fiddle-farting? I wager I'll have my MIDI track recorded before you can find your car keys. ;^)

But, seriously, I can see where the advice to 'just record a real one' is sort of an extension of my 'just play it in real time' advice often given to those asking how to humanize their MIDI sequences, and I'm inclined to second it. The one caveat I would add in this case is that, in my experience, 'playing' a shaker well and consistently can be a more challenging musical endeavor than one might imagine. 

• Haha 1