Anything You Find Confusing About CbB?

Craig Anderton

8 minutes ago, bitman said:

I've read posts by Scook that state that one must go into preferences-> midi->instruments and assign a an output to an .ins but my drum synth isn't there and assigning the first hardware out to GM Drums doesn't make anything stick like it is stated it should.

Either I misunderstood your question or you misread my post. It would be nice if note name assignments made in the PRV Notes Pane were persistent but AFAIK, they are not. I filed a feature request some time ago about this.

• Like 1

On 10/23/2019 at 10:54 AM, Craig Anderton said:

As many of you know, I write a monthly column about CbB for Sound on Sound magazine. There's never a shortage of techniques to write about :), but I thought I'd ask if there were any aspects of the program where you'd like a column that went into a topic in particular depth. For example, at one point there were some threads where people were trying to make sense of all the export options, so I did a column about exporting and its many applications.

Thanks!

2 minutes ago, bitman said:

Confusing no, annoying yes.

Right click prv notes select "use these note names instead" should stick for the midi track you were doing this on, such as the drums. I've read posts by Scook that state that one must go into preferences-> midi->instruments and assign a an output to an .ins but my drum synth isn't there and assigning the first hardware out to GM Drums doesn't make anything stick like it is stated it should. I probably have this all wrong, but it shouldn't be this tedious. Either to make it stick, which it doesn't ,or  to continually have to "use these note names instead".

I am not sure if I am confused by your post here or what, so let me ask: Are you requesting Craig revisit how to create and use *.ins files in consideration of all the changes to SONAR/Cakewalk since the *.ins [Instrument Definitions] functionality came out? If so, having developed custom Instrument files a while back, I'd like to see that, too.

On 10/25/2019 at 6:52 AM, wetdentist said:

shouldn't the Matrix be updated?  

It is. The Matrix 4 is in pre-production.

...oh wait...

Please post feature requests in the Feedback Loop forum. This thread is about topics for Craig to write explanatory articles about. 👍

On 10/23/2019 at 10:30 PM, Terry Kelley said:

Midi copy and paste is weird. I can do clip loops but just selecting a measure to copy and paste results in the first paste being a couple of ticks later than I specify. If I do multiple measure of paste, each one is a couple of ticks later than the prior one.

For example, if I paste a measure at 7:01:000 it actually pastes at 7:01:003. If I tell it to paste 10 times, the second one is at 8:01:006, then 9:01:009, etc. I don't know why it shifts it out. Not sure I am making any sense ... And the function to snap to measure doesn't always.

A tutorial on non-clip loop copy and paste would be  nice.

I don't think you need a tutorial; I just tried to replicate the problem and it did what you said, except my paste was off by 90 ticks, whether I used Paste or Paste Special and specified exactly where I wanted paste to occur.  This seems like a bug.

(I know this is not the place for bug reports, but context matters...)

Edited by MagBass

On 10/23/2019 at 9:30 PM, Terry Kelley said:

Midi copy and paste is weird. I can do clip loops but just selecting a measure to copy and paste results in the first paste being a couple of ticks later than I specify. If I do multiple measure of paste, each one is a couple of ticks later than the prior one.

For example, if I paste a measure at 7:01:000 it actually pastes at 7:01:003. If I tell it to paste 10 times, the second one is at 8:01:006, then 9:01:009, etc. I don't know why it shifts it out. Not sure I am making any sense ... And the function to snap to measure doesn't always.

A tutorial on non-clip loop copy and paste would be  nice.

I just made a bug report on that very issue.   You think you are selecting two full bars, but CW is only selects the notes in the bars...if there is 'white space' before or after the first or last note, the selection shrinks!  And that is what gets pasted.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/23/2019 at 11:18 AM, Noel Borthwick said:

I think a redux of the new take management 2.0 might be cool. There are numerous changes that now facilitate using lanes for assembly esp when using the new customizable smart tool. Users from the old 8.5 layers workflow can now use lanes to organize their data prior to doing comping.We had a few video's in the 07 feature overview that might provide food for thought.

Some other topics might be utilizing mix recall, using lenses to customize for different workflows (tracking, vs mixing vs beat making etc)

Just thought I'd follow up...I looked at the 07 Feature Overview, and frankly, it explains the new Take Management enhancements really well, especially the copy/paste and drag/drop editing improvements. Since I don't like to repeat information that's available elsewhere, I instead concentrated on applications based on Lanes and Takes that make it easy to do massed vocals, a la Queen. The column's emphasis is on a type of  "faux" loop recording that allows hearing all the previous takes while you're recording, as well as an easy way to direct the post-recording takes to a bus (which is often where you want massed tracks to end up, anyway).

After dealing with the recording aspect, I'll probably base the next column on editing techniques involving Takes and Lanes...unless the next update includes the anti-gravity module, in which case covering that would become the priority. 

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

I think Bandlab would derive more actual services users if the daw itself had no

secondary registration/activation requirements. These things cost man-hours to maintain,

don't work for everyone, and some will walk away at the first sighting of such

extra layers. Issue one serial number for all, one installer for all,

leave a Bandlab web connection button on the daw gui,

put lots of useful Bandlab video flyers in the installer archive,

and be happy.

The legacy Cakewalk software, like Dimension Pro, Rapture, and Z3ta,

are also still as good as they were when last updated, which was excellent.

It wouldn't hurt Bandlabs public profile, to allow them a rebirth, perhaps make them

part of a charity or scholarship funding effort, where a new install and redistration

could occur when a contribution was made.

Cheers