Anything You Find Confusing About CbB?

Craig Anderton

As many of you know, I write a monthly column about CbB for Sound on Sound magazine. There's never a shortage of techniques to write about :), but I thought I'd ask if there were any aspects of the program where you'd like a column that went into a topic in particular depth. For example, at one point there were some threads where people were trying to make sense of all the export options, so I did a column about exporting and its many applications.

Thanks!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 1

I think a redux of the new take management 2.0 might be cool. There are numerous changes that now facilitate using lanes for assembly esp when using the new customizable smart tool. Users from the old 8.5 layers workflow can now use lanes to organize their data prior to doing comping.We had a few video's in the 07 feature overview that might provide food for thought.

Some other topics might be utilizing mix recall, using lenses to customize for different workflows (tracking, vs mixing vs beat making etc)

• Like 3

Thanks everyone for chiming in! I covered Lenses in February 2017; the info is still valid and online, so I probably won't cover that. There was a column on Mix Recall in February 2016, and that's online as well (although maybe it's time for a refresh).

The Selection Markers and Take Management suggestions are great topic ideas. Feel free to keep those ideas coming!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JoeGBradford said:

Agree - I haven't used lenses or screensets properly yet and not entirely sure of the difference!

Lenses are global, where as screensets are per project

Lenses are more to do with hiding features that don't fit with your workflow.  For instance, if you never intend using the virtual keyboard, you can use Lenses to hide it from where ever it would normally appear.  Lenses can also affect the way your windows are laid out - but you can tell a lense not to have any effect on screen layout.  That way you can leave screen layouts up to screensets.

Screensets are more to do with Windows layouts.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I do wish there was a method to simply ( by default ) re-call the last (used) screen set. I often wish to boot -up a project exactly where I left off in the last session - which might include window focus -zoom levels, plug in focus  etc. I find it confusing to try to save an overwrite of a different screen set # in order to capture my exact settings. They seem to flash on screen upon project load - so there seems to be a recalled state of the last session , then they are over written by the screen set or lens. Maybe just switchable method to skip loading a screen set or lens would do it. Not sure what would happen if you start a new session with that off though.

Edited by RBH

59 minutes ago, RBH said:

I do wish there was a method to simply ( by default ) re-call the last (used) screen set.

I use 4 screensets per project and regularly switch between them.  I also use a Lense.

With the lense, I have deselected "Windows layout" using Lense Manager. 

This enables the project to load exactly as I have left it, complete with the Screenset it was set to upon save. 

This is because, with this configuration, it's the Screenset that is solely responsible for any screen layout.

If you don't deselect "Windows layout" in the lense, the lense layout overrides the screenset's layout.

• Thanks 1

Midi copy and paste is weird. I can do clip loops but just selecting a measure to copy and paste results in the first paste being a couple of ticks later than I specify. If I do multiple measure of paste, each one is a couple of ticks later than the prior one.

For example, if I paste a measure at 7:01:000 it actually pastes at 7:01:003. If I tell it to paste 10 times, the second one is at 8:01:006, then 9:01:009, etc. I don't know why it shifts it out. Not sure I am making any sense ... And the function to snap to measure doesn't always.

A tutorial on non-clip loop copy and paste would be  nice.

• Like 1

You may have covered this already, but I had a bear of a time getting Drum Maps to work, understanding them, figuring out where the commands were to add them to a project, get them to show up in the Piano Roll, etc.

My batting average for having it work the first time was ZERO for 6 months. Something always went wrong. I'd bat it all around and think I had it ready to go and then....no sound, or no drum pane, or whatever, and I'd have to go back and fix something. And sometimes I'd have to start over completely.

Finally I found the time to sit down with a blank project and the Reference Guide and drill over and over and ask questions on the forum and tried and failed until I finally understood what was going on and how to add them to a project and assign them.

My hope is that someday we will be able to set up and assign Drum Maps entirely from the Piano Roll View, but for now, we set them up from the Console or Track View. Those savvy with Track Templates can skip all that hassle, but why is it such a hassle?

Anyway, Drum Maps For The Uninitiated would be most welcome, and if it also included a how-to on getting the drum note names to appear on the notes in the PRV, that would be splendid.

So I vote for take lanes.

Also I think a refresher course on basic midi and transport features might be a good thing due to the recent updates.  I'm stumbling a little on those once in a while and probably not taking advantage of all the features.

Confusing no, annoying yes.

Right click prv notes select "use these note names instead" should stick for the midi track you were doing this on, such as the drums. I've read posts by Scook that state that one must go into preferences-> midi->instruments and assign a an output to an .ins but my drum synth isn't there and assigning the first hardware out to GM Drums doesn't make anything stick like it is stated it should. I probably have this all wrong, but it shouldn't be this tedious. Either to make it stick, which it doesn't ,or  to continually have to "use these note names instead".