VST3 Plugin Not Showing UP

Bill Phillips

I just installed a reverb plugin NIMBUS along with another reverb plugin R4. The R4 VST3 shows up in the browser, plugin manager and in track FX dropdowns but NIMBUS does not. See browser, plugin manager  screenshots. I've also included a VST3 Folder screenshot showing that NIMBUS VST3 is available. The browser screenshot shows search results for NIMBUS which only turned up the VST2 version under uncharacterized.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled NIMBUS, restarted CbB several times and restarted my PC.

Any suggestions on how to fix this appreciated.

Edited by Bill Phillips
Clarification

It is not unusual for VST2 plug-ins to land in the Uncategorized folder. Category tags are a VST3 feature which most manufacturers use. There is no like feature for DX and VST2 plug-ins. Assigning DX and VST2 plug-ins categories is a manual process. When Cakewalk implemented VST3 support they created a database containing category assignments for many DX and VST2 plug-ins. Plug-ins not found in the database are automatically added to the Uncategorized folder.

I would be surprised if running as administrator makes a difference but it is an easy test and if it works, it would save a lot of typing. So, try that first. Don't have the plug-in to test but have several ideas if this suggestion does not solve the problem.

• Thanks 1

I checked the authorization process for Nimbus, and it uses ILok authorization.  The plugins I was having an issue with also use ILok Auth.  I had to run two separate Daws as Admin in order to get them recognized, so hopefully the fix is as easy as that...

Peace,

Blindeddie

• Thanks 1

As a class, iLok authorized plug-ins do not require DAWs to run as administrator. It is a good idea to activate iLoked plug-ins using the iLok License Manager before scanning though. Failing to activate plug-ins before scanning can result in the plug-in landing in the excluded list. There are remedies for plug-ins that get excluded often times it is as simple as activating then re-scanning failed plug-ins.

• Thanks 1

I have had this issue before,  all were activated prior to scanning, but did not show up until I ran as Admin...whether its required or not is besides the point, that is what worked for me...doing it has worked for me many times and usually solves my problems when it comes to plugins. Its the first thing I do when I have issues.

Peace,

Blindeddie

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Blindeddie said:

Try running CbB as Administrator.  right click the CbB icon and select Run as Administrator then do a rescan.  I had a similar issue and that worked for me.

Peace,

Blindeddie

Thanks. Just tried that running CbB as Administrator and rescanning VSTS. NIMBUS VST3 still missing from browser and Plugin Manager and track FX bin Insert audio plugins dropdown. Izotope says they can't help.

23 hours ago, scook said:

I would be surprised if running as administrator makes a difference but it is an easy test and if it works, it would save a lot of typing. So, try that first. Don't have the plug-in to test but have several ideas if this suggestion does not solve the problem.

It didn't. Interested in your other suggestions. Thanks.

22 hours ago, scook said:

As a class, iLok authorized plug-ins do not require DAWs to run as administrator. It is a good idea to activate iLoked plug-ins using the iLok License Manager before scanning though. Failing to activate plug-ins before scanning can result in the plug-in landing in the excluded list. There are remedies for plug-ins that get excluded often times it is as simple as activating then re-scanning failed plug-ins.

I use the License Manager.  Here's a screenshot showing NIMBUS authorization as active. the VST2 version works, but I prefer using VST3. I've already tried uninstalling and re-installing NIMBUS. That didn't help. I just did a rescan which also didn't help. Thanks.

21 hours ago, Blindeddie said:

I have had this issue before,  all were activated prior to scanning, but did not show up until I ran as Admin...whether its required or not is besides the point, that is what worked for me...doing it has worked for me many times and usually solves my problems when it comes to plugins. Its the first thing I do when I have issues.

Peace,

Blindeddie

Thanks Blindeddie. I tried running as Admin and rescanning. It didn't help this time.

Check the exclude list by clicking "Show Excluded" while "VST3 Audio FX (VST3)"

lckRkXi.png

If the plug-in is there, try a manual scan from preferences with "Rescan Failed Plug-ins," "Scan in Sandbox" and "Generate Scan Log" enabled. After scanning, disabled "Rescan Failed Plug-ins." If this does not fix the problem review the scan log. There should be some entries about the plug-in.

If the plug-in is not there, running a VST Reset from preferences with "Scan in Sandbox" and "Generate Scan Log" enabled. Depending on how many plug-ins are installed, the scan log may be huge but searching the log for the VST3 file name should narrow down the search for the appropriate entries.

An alternative to running a VST Reset is uninstall the plug-in, run a manual scan, re-install the plug-in then run a manual scan with "Scan in Sandbox" and "Generate Scan Log" enabled. This will generate a much smaller log because only the newly adding plug-ins get scanned.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Bingo! Thanks scook. NIMBUS was not in the VST3 excluded list. So I tried the VST3 Reset from preferences with "Scan in Sandbox" and "Generate Scan Log" enabled. NIMBUS VST3 is now available. I did get "Wrong computer id" notifications for Additive Keys and Drums during the Reset scan that I will review, but I think Additive Keys and Drums are working fine.

Thanks again! No regedits required. Yea!

• 2 months later...
On 10/23/2019 at 2:09 AM, Blindeddie said:

Try running CbB as Administrator.  right click the CbB icon and select Run as Administrator then do a rescan.  I had a similar issue and that worked for me.

Peace,

Blindeddie

Thanks a lot, Blindeddie, that worked for both plugins that didn't show up.

Edited by Olaf