IK iRig Keys I/O

cclarry

That's a great deal to include ST4 MAX! 

Just recently upgraded to ST4 MAX and it makes all the difference compared to standard version that I had before. The latest engine version also seems pretty stable and improves with each iteration. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Grem said:

Only thing I got against ST4 is the amount of stuff!!!

How many gb does that thing have!!??

Hey Grem, I used it as an excuse to get another 1Tb SSD (nvme M2 this time) 😁 I think it's 200Gbytes of new content. The highlights for me are the pianos, guitars, brass and the voice stuff but it's all good really and you can still use all the ST3 libraries. That American Acoustic guitar is still a favourite. 

The bonus is that I now have room for more GAS with BF/Xmas around the corner. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ZincT said:

Actually, that's one of the controllers I was looking at. Do you like it? 

It's still on it's way and should be here in a couple of days. I liked the fact that it integrates well with most/all DAWS (including CbB) and should be a good starting point for my children to use (on another PC of course ;)). Once I set it up and use it, will post back.

• Thanks 1

I have the iRig Keys I/O 49 and it is really nice. It sort of fits the space where the keyboard is just right for the times an 88 key is way to big and a 25 key just would not be practical; I think of it as the Goldilocks portable 🤓

The addition of the audio/MIDI interface built in also makes it nice as you eliminate more gear you have to take. The keyboard action itself feels very nice as well; not mushy but has a nice weight and resistance that works well.

Here is a review I published a few months ago:

https://praisetracks.com/ik-multimedia-irig-keys-i-o-49-just-right/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mesh said:

It's still on it's way and should be here in a couple of days. I liked the fact that it integrates well with most/all DAWS (including CbB) and should be a good starting point for my children to use (on another PC of course ;)). Once I set it up and use it, will post back.

Thanks Mesh, will be interested to hear your views.

I have an old Yamaha Clavinova CLP-910 piano which I was gifted. It has 88 weighted keys and it's pretty nice for me to learn on. I really feel the difference though when I use my iRig Keys Pro 37 for entering music in CbB or any other DAW.  Apart from the lack of weighted keys the main restriction is the number of octaves, not just for playing songs but for VSTis where keyswitches are used for articulation switching.  I was thinking that 61 keys would be better, effectively another octave above and below what I currently have.

42 minutes ago, Simeon Amburgey said:

I have the iRig Keys I/O 49 and it is really nice. It sort of fits the space where the keyboard is just right for the times an 88 key is way to big and a 25 key just would not be practical; I think of it as the Goldilocks portable 🤓

The addition of the audio/MIDI interface built in also makes it nice as you eliminate more gear you have to take. The keyboard action itself feels very nice as well; not mushy but has a nice weight and resistance that works well.

Here is a review I published a few months ago:

https://praisetracks.com/ik-multimedia-irig-keys-i-o-49-just-right/

Thanks Simon, that's a pretty in-depth review. Interested to see your views on 49 keys being the "magic" number in terms of usability vs size.
The latter is also a consideration for any replacement for my iRig Keys Pro 37 and that limits my choice of 61 controller keyboards. 

• Like 1

For keyswitching, I use our iRig Keys Mini with iRig Keys I/O 49 as the main on my recording desk setup for writing most times.  When I want weighted keys I use my Clavinova like yours (though I don't remember the model number) which I do enjoy but honestly I don't frequently need that feel (I try to use it for piano VIs and similar, mostly).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Peter - IK Multimedia said:

For keyswitching, I use our iRig Keys Mini with iRig Keys I/O 49 as the main on my recording desk setup for writing most times.  When I want weighted keys I use my Clavinova like yours (though I don't remember the model number) which I do enjoy but honestly I don't frequently need that feel (I try to use it for piano VIs and similar, mostly).

Interesting to know, thanks Peter. 

I will demo the iRig Keys I/O 49 at my local Music Shop in York. 

BTW, check your PMs 😉

1 hour ago, InstrEd said:

Any one have an opinion on IK  philharmonik 2?  Is it worth the $99 special price

55 minutes ago, InstrEd said:

I was debating on the 25 key version for that $159 myself. But,  as a piano player I just had to go with the 49 key version.  Now I have Pete already giving me ideas on how to expand it.  When will it end.

I believe Philharmonik is part of SampleTank Max...so you'll get that if you bought one of the I/O keyboards...

8 hours ago, cclarry said:

I believe Philharmonik is part of SampleTank Max...so you'll get that if you bought one of the I/O keyboards...

Better double check that - it is included in Total Studio Max 2, but doesn’t seem to be a part of ST Max.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, cclarry said:

While Philharmonik is not included, some patches from the libraries seem to be included (possibly from Philharmonik CE). Here is an exhaustive list comparing all of the sounds included in each version of SampleTank.

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/include/st4/soundlist/SampleTank_4_comparison.pdf

Edited by Simeon Amburgey

28 minutes ago, Simeon Amburgey said:

While Philharmonik is not included, some patches from the libraries seem to be included (possibly from Philharmonik CE). Here is an exhaustive list comparing all of the sounds included in each version of SampleTank.

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/include/st4/soundlist/SampleTank_4_comparison.pdf

It is listed as a SampleTank 4 Instrument,
https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/st4/index.php?p=instruments

and was released before Max 4 was released, and therefore should be included. 
That "List" doesn't really tell you much about "what instruments SETS are included",
as it's broken down by individual instruments.